Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through a shot in the dark and some comparisons, I have ordered a set of trijicons for Browning High Power. Hopefully they can be modified to fit the 24/7.If not I will be looking for someone with a high power. I will keep you posted when they come in.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I have a Hi-Power and I ordered a set of Hi-Power adjustable rear sights for my PT145 because they looked visually pretty close.

The sight was a little wide at the bottom and stood up above the PT145 slide... so I too a flat file and just started working the bottom of the sight. After the first 100 strokes, I would stop and try to see how it was fitting both in dovetail and in height. I put another 100 strokes, stopping after each 25 to check. When I finished, it fit tight and flush. I perhaps might have stopped at 175 and just tapped it in, but looked pretty nice. The only problem was that the front sight caused the gun to shoot high and not having a replacement I was stuck, so I put the Heine sight back on.

Having the trijicons (front and back) they should work together just fine! Let us know how this works out... an awfully lot of guys are looking for alternative sights for the Taurus.

PS... If you can, measure the original sights when you have them removed. I think they are the same... they look the same... but good measurements would help the task along!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sights on.

The rear must be filed on the bottom side. The front has to be shimmed slightly on bottom or back. I chose the back because I wanted the gun to hit point of aim. I will not make it to the range before next weekend so I will let you know how it went then

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
MoReloader said:
Sights on.

The front has to be shimmed slightly on bottom or back. I chose the back because I wanted the gun to hit point of aim.
Alright MoReloader!

You are the first poster who has done both. How did you shim the front sight? Please explain or post a pic. How long did it take?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a camera in the house right now but it was pretty simple. The rear just requires the bottom of the sight to be worked down. A file would work but was very slow. I used a coarse 6 inch stone. The front just required a shim. I used a sliver of aluminum from the top of a Dr. Pepper can. I will probably wind up exchanging it for a piece of brass shim stock later as I don't think it is quite tight enough. I put some Blue locktite in to keep it in place, but we will se on that. According to height from slide the gun should hit point of aim or a hair high at close range. I will be able to tell more this weekend when i get to run a couple hundred rounds through it. I will post some pictures then. The sights look real good on the gun, though the front sight barely covers the slot that the set screw went in, and is not as wide as the dovetail.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had to lower the front sight and reshim several times. Last time I shot it it was hitting 2 inches low at 10 yards. I was able to take another 30 thousandths off of the bottom of the dovetail, and the offset is now the same as the factory sights. If you try this make sure you measure the offset. You might want to cut the front and back of the dovetail on the rear sight in order to get some more relief. I just cut the bottom and made it a little too short for the front. I believe I have finally got it finished but I would not suggest this to anyone unless you have real patience.

On a positive the gun now has well over 500 rounds without a glitch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts