Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the range with the wife again today, lots of fun. I do however have a question on accuracy vs. sight adjustment. I'm still a novice at shooting so I don't consider my aim to be a reliable source of information. How do I tell when I'm aiming too high or low? or simply put, How do I tell if it is me or the sight? and did I use the right spelling for sight (site, isn't this a place?)?

Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
Find someone at the range that shoots well and have them shoot your gun. Or, hold the gun like you normally would but also resting on the table or sandbag.

Chances are, it's not the sights.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Besides what propellerhead said a company by the name of MTM makes a very nice super reasonable priced ( 15.00 ) IIRC pistol rest that will help you with your sighting for the price it relly helps, whenever I pick up a new piece I take it to the range with me to see if the sights are on or if I might have to adjust them, I have been seing them in some of the gun shops around here lately also, I bought mine at pistolgear.com

·
Super Moderator
35,597 Posts
Use a solid rest at 25 yards to sight in. I use sand bags and I put duck tape on the one I fire off of to protect it from the flash at the cylinder gap. Off hand shooting is all some folks seem to do and at short range at that, reasoning no gun fight is going to be at 25 yards and you're not going to have a rest. Fine for practice, but you HAVE to know where the gun shoots. I need to optimise my equipment whether I have the skills to use it or not. You simply cannot tell how accurate the gun is any other way than to rest it at a standard range and shoot groups. Better yet would be a Ransom or other machine rest, takes all the operator error out of shooting groups.

If a guy tells me he can shoot 4" groups center mass at 10 yards with such and such revolver off hand, that tells me nothing about the gun. He's a reasonably proficient shot with a handgun, that's all I can glean from that information.

Our club used to have a ransom rest, but no one can seem to remember where it went or who has it. We only had K frame inserts for it, but I'd like to try my M66 4" in it with wadcutters. That thing shoots consistently into 1" for five shots at 25 yards with my wadcutters and I'm sure it'd shoot tighter, but that's about as good as I can shoot from sand bags with an iron sighted handgun. What I can say is, though, that revolver is more accurate than me. LOL It's an amazing revolver.

http://www.ransomrest.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts