Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, looking to change out the factory Heine str8 8s for either fixed or adjustable Williams Firesights. I put the fixed ones on my PT140 a couple years back and like them. I know they aren't zero'd such that POA->POI but close enough and I know how to adjust during shooting. Looks like Williams has "new for 2011" adjustable for windage and elevation Firesights. Anyone out there have these and are they adjustable to your liking?

I also have a small rail on my gun and anyone with any suggestions for lasers to fit this? I would only put the laser on for night time use while it is on bedside table sentry duty. It only has about an inch of rail (unlike many of the other tactical polymer pistols which have rail extending entire length from front of trigger guard to end of frame) and not sure what products out there are made for this small rail estate:D

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
If you have a PT140 Mil Pro with the dovetail sight base, the #70969 adjustable firesights fit. I put them on last December, and they were great, BUT I found that the front firesight was too high, so I replaced the front sight with a HiViz. Now it is even better!

Look at the thread and photos that I started:

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/m...-firesights-vs-hi-viz-pt145-milpro-pt640.html

Not the difference in the sight heights.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, I have a set of Williams on my PT140 and the front sight looks more similar to what you show labelled as the HiViz in your posting - ie, it is low sitting.

I went ahead and ordered a set of the adjustable Williams Firesights; if the front sight sits a little high, I should be able to compensate for that by adjusting the rear sight's position. Will post pics when I get them mounted.

I was more interested in hearing about laser options (vs flashlight options) for the small rail and am still open to options here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
As I said, I have a set of Williams on my PT140 and the front sight looks more similar to what you show labelled as the HiViz in your posting - ie, it is low sitting.

I went ahead and ordered a set of the adjustable Williams Firesights; if the front sight sits a little high, I should be able to compensate for that by adjusting the rear sight's position. Will post pics when I get them mounted.

I was more interested in hearing about laser options (vs flashlight options) for the small rail and am still open to options here.
My current setup is the LaserLyte rear laser/electronic night sight with front Williams Firesight. Aim is perfect, and I didn't have to modify my Supertuck!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Hey - those look like Mousekesights! Whose the leader of the club that's made for you and me.....:D

"F" bomb warning!!

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ARrrrgh, I recieved the adjustable Williams Firesights in the mail and went to install them. BTW, the front Str8 8 factory installed sight requires a 0.050 inch allen wrench to loosen/tighten. The factory rear sight works with the NIB included allen wrench you get with the purchase.

Anyway, the front sight of the new Williams was TOO SMALL. Did not fit flush at all; could have used a shim, as others have suggested, but it was WAY too small for the dovetail slot. The new rear sight was TOO BIG for the factory dovetail slot. I guess I could have filed it down to fit but . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . I really expected the new sights to fit pretty close to factory dovetail slots!!!!!

The non adjustable Williams Firesights I put on my PT140 (in the place of the same factory Str8 8s) a couple of years ago fit the factory dovetail slots perfectly!!!

I'm going to return them and order the non adjustable firesights instead - and just HOPE they fit correctly.

·
Administrator
35,165 Posts
ARrrrgh, I recieved the adjustable Williams Firesights in the mail and went to install them. BTW, the front Str8 8 factory installed sight requires a 0.050 inch allen wrench to loosen/tighten. The factory rear sight works with the NIB included allen wrench you get with the purchase.

Anyway, the front sight of the new Williams was TOO SMALL. Did not fit flush at all; could have used a shim, as others have suggested, but it was WAY too small for the dovetail slot. The new rear sight was TOO BIG for the factory dovetail slot. I guess I could have filed it down to fit but . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . I really expected the new sights to fit pretty close to factory dovetail slots!!!!!

The non adjustable Williams Firesights I put on my PT140 (in the place of the same factory Str8 8s) a couple of years ago fit the factory dovetail slots perfectly!!!

I'm going to return them and order the non adjustable firesights instead - and just HOPE they fit correctly.
Ideally, they should both fit snug, or more than snug - where you need a wood dowel to get them put into place. I watched a smith install my sights on my PT1911, and the front site was almost impossible to get put on - but he did and it didn't even need the screw, it's so tight. The rear sight required some messing with but finally went in okay.

I'm not sure if anybody really needs adjustable sights or not for a PT145. To me, it's just too much hassle for a gun that I won't be tackdriving with anyway.....but to each his own. :)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Replacement sights are often bigger than the dovetail and require fitting to accommodate worn and enlarged dovetails. It's usually more of an issue with friction fit sights, and I'm kind of surprised that the Williams are like that since their held in place with a set screw - at least mine were. I had to shim my rear, but the front slid right in. From what I've seen on the front they've changed that too with the adjustable sight model. If it's not too terribly huge and you decide to fit the sights I would recommend NOT taking a file to it. Just hold the tenon flat against a sharpening stone and rub it back and forth. Go slow and test fit often. If you want a friction fit (which I prefer) stop rubbing when the sight will go 1/3rd of the way into the dovetail. Then tap it the rest of the way in using a brass drift and a small hammer - tapping only on the tenon itself, NOT the sight. And tapping - not hammering. They're made out of aluminum so it should go pretty quick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts