Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my AR 14 built with an A2 flat top and a Magpul flip up front sight installed from the maker. Wanting a classic look with the ability for iron sights, I bought an inexpensive A4 carry handle and mounted a scope on top of that. I like a bit of height so I am not all scrunched down behind the charging handle, but the optic sitting on top of the carry handle is overkill for that function. The whole affair is much heavier than it needs to be especially with the bipod attached. Additionally, I can't seem to get that A4 handle tight enough to secure the whole sight once adjusted to POI.

I am first thinking of pulling off the A4 handle and mounting the scope on a couple of risers, but that leaves me with no option for BUIS. I have offest popup sights on other AR type guns and like them a lot, but the AR 15 has Magpul furniture and no top rail on the front handguard.

In frustration, I may pull off the handle and the scope and buy a Magpul rear sight and run that for a while.

If anyone knows of a rear open sight with a rail above for the optic, please show me a link.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Well you can try to add one of these to your handguard at the 10 o'clock position and one of these to the rail and see if you can use your BUIS.

Or, you could change out the MagPul for a quad rail and then for sure you 45° BUIS will work.

Now you haven't mentioned what kind of optic you would be going with. Is the one you had on the carry handle designed to screw into the handle? If so you probably need a new optic.

How for are you going to be shooting this AR? If you're not trying to go for distance you really don't need a big variable scope. A 1-6 would work very well out to 150 yards. If you're going to go out further you could try a scope with a bigger varible. I would recommend a cantilever mount to get it up off the top of your rifle. Depending on your shooting style and optic you go with will determin the height you go with. Aim Sports makes a really nice cantilever mount in 1.5" and 1.75" in your choice of screw down or quick release. They have a great 1-6X24 optic that would do you well without braking the bank. If you really want to reach out and touch someone you can go with their 2.5-15X50 Alpha 6 scope.

I linked you to their website so you could see what they have but you probably don't want to buy direct as you will be paying full retail. A good place to get all of these items is from Styrka Binoculars, Styrka Rifle Scopes, See All Open Sights, and Sport Optics On Sale - OpticsCamp.com They don't stock the 2.5-15X50 but they can special order it for you if you ask. Let them know that Jesse from Aim Sports sent you. Yeah, that's right I work for Aim Sports. That's how I know so much about their products.

I hope I helped you out.

Jesse

·
Super Moderator
36,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the optic that I had mounted on a cheap AR clamp on handle...with a picatinny rail clamped onto it. The mounting strip and screws were junk and I pretty much destroyed the handle taking it off. The rail for the top of the AR handle is still in good shape and may make an appearance on PIF. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU68V46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the front sight that was installed on the carbine when built. It is an integral gas block flip up front sight, believed to be set at the height of an A2 tower. The picatinny rail extends the length of the receiver now. I have additional MOE rails that I could clamp onto the front of the Magpul foregrip to use offset 45 degree flip up sights...which I like...provided the cantilever for the optic doesn't take up too much room on the receiver rail. I set it up temporarily now with a 4" long riser to get the scope up to a decent height to utilize.

https://rguns.net/shop/yhm-flip-up-front-sight-2/

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts