Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea why?

I'm hoping it's for lack of sales and not that guns were failing.

Either way it's not good.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
We can only speculate as to why Taurus discontinued their Raging Bulls in 500 Magnum. I would think that at the time they were in production, they must not have been selling as well as Taurus had anticipated they would.

I have one that has never had any problems, is extremely well built (like a bank vault) accurate and fairly comfortable to shoot. I hope in time Taurus will reconsider and put them back into production once again.

Ironically, they seem much more popular now as a discontinued item than when Taurus was churning them out. They very rarely show up on gunbroker anymore, and when they do, they command a premium price.

$1,175.00 from this auction that was listed.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=94408980

Hershey is offering his for sale however. You may wish to PM him and see if you can both come to terms on a price.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5754.0

·
32,573 Posts
The .500 caliber is a decent one, but more powerful than most are willing to put up with or need. A bit on the expensive side and there are ranges that limit or won't let owners shoot them.

Like a lot of different revolver cartridges a majority of the buyers were getting these as novelty items, getting rid of them or considered themselves stuck with them.

Gun magazine writers such as Taffin and Clint Smith have been documenting this phenomenon for decades. This includes recently,too.

This being a special purpose cartridge as opposed to one more versatile don't help things a bit.

That said there is nothing wrong with this cartridge for those who need it or just want to have a mega blaster for fun. That's all part of shooting.

However extremely high pressure revolver cartridges and guns come with a whole pack of criterea that have to be dealt with.
Lower pressured rounds do not or may not do so.

There are also a plethora of big bore high pressure rounds that are in direct competition with the .500. Casull .454, Ruger 480, S&W .460 as well as host of others ( wildcat cartridges included) are all vying for the market dollar. That's a steep mountain to climb. Kind of like trying to go up Mt. Everest when one is used to the Great Smokey Mountains.

For those who enjoy the .500 regularly, sorry to see that happen.

There are many varied reasons that the market can't sustain thngs for those who enjoy the cartridge and the big booming revolvers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is, even if it was just for lack of sales, S&W still makes and sells them and Taurus does not. In passing one could form the opinion that the Taurus .500 wasn't as good as Smith's and the RB could not compete.

I know it's untrue but it bothers me that folk could easily form that opinion.

Edit: I guess it just really bothers me about all the negative comments about Taurus products on other forums. There's always people that have had good experiences with them but it seems like the trashers are more vocal. To me, Taurus USA pulling the .500 just gives the Taurus bashers more ammunition so to speak.

·
32,573 Posts
If things cool off on the gun market enough even S&W can fold the .500 stable.

Considering all the new models of revolvers and pistols Taurus is introducing there's just so much floor space to be had for gun manufacture. So there are economic and manufacturing reasons why Taurus makes these changes.

Shipping lock,stock, and barrel, all the equipment needed, and the technical staff to the U.S., would be bad as far as business moves go.
There may have been little choice in matters.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Taurus evidently has their reasons but one point of interest, at least to me anyhow is that whenever I've seen a Raging Bull .500 on gunbroker or gunsamerica, they always sell and usually almost immediately. On the other hand I've seen several S&W 500s also listed but very few ever with bids.

Not a slam on S&W but merely an observation on my part. The last RB 500 on gunbroker that I saw sold for $1,175.00. If that's not a testament to their desirability I don't know what is.

·
Administrator
35,410 Posts
Do you know how much it costs to pull the trigger on a 500? about $3 per pull. Thats too rich for my blood......unless I live in bear country, I just can't afford to shoot it, much less buy it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts