Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm baaack! Bear with me guys, working on issue I previously posted. Got to looking at mags after work today; new ones,noticed with all 15 rds loaded verrry tight fit,but not with 2 provided by a friend (obviously used).Issue was with slide locked back,would not feed first round when "slingshotting." Older mags do this no issue. Is it possible mags so new need "breaking in?" When I take about 5 or 6 rds out of new mag, go through same process, first round feeds no problem. When "slingshotting" first rd, full mag, from closed slide, still feeds first rd even from new mag,but I suspect due to further travel, if that makes any sense. When manually emptying new, fully loaded mag by hand, very hard to strip that 1st round or 2, then of course gets easier and easier. Need to work new mags more, give more break in? I think I'm getting to the bottom of this, any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
OK, so, let me get this straight.

With a full mag the new mags

Feed when you use the slide stop/release

Feed when you slingshot from a closed slide

won't feed when you slingshot from a locked open slide

?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for confusion, leftcoast. With full/new mag, from slide lock, wouldn't feed using slide release OR slingshot from locked open; will feed slingshot with closed slide. Remove a few rounds, no issues with feeding that first round. Thinking just need to keep "breaking in" the new mags, I never believed the whole "just leave them full" thing, they stay full, why have them if not? Breaking in would mean loading and unloading (in one form or the other, you know, manually or shooting). Thinking about just loading a few short of full on next range trip. Hope cleared things up some.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Sorry for confusion, leftcoast. With full/new mag, from slide lock, wouldn't feed using slide release OR slingshot from locked open; will feed slingshot with closed slide. Remove a few rounds, no issues with feeding that first round. Thinking just need to keep "breaking in" the new mags, I never believed the whole "just leave them full" thing, they stay full, why have them if not? Breaking in would mean loading and unloading (in one form or the other, you know, manually or shooting). Thinking about just loading a few short of full on next range trip. Hope cleared things up some.
Load your mags FULL, and let them sit a few days.......
Trust me, it wont hurt the mags.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
You are correct. Springs "break in, soften, smooth up" whatever you want to call it, by cycling not through just compression.

That is an interesting symptom there. The only difference I can see in loading from slide lock (Either slingshot or with the mechanical release) and cycling from slide forward is the slide riding over the top round while being drawn back. To me, that says either, perhaps the slide release needs to be kept/knocked down more firmly or the rounds in the mag need to be "settled" a bit. With high cap mags I like to bang the base of the mag about every five rounds or so while I am loading them and give them a couple of raps after they are full. I can remember having a similar problem to yours, years ago but it went away when I used my standard loading procedure and I can't remember which gun it was to save me..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts