Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well went down to the range to shoot Wednesday and was looking around, they have had several Sig 1911-22 in stock in olive green, dark earth and regular Blue.
All the olive drab was gone and only 1 Dark earth and I blue remaining!
This lil puppy looked so lonesome that i had to take him in and give him a good home!
Ran 300 rounds through him after the range did an initial cleaning for me.
ran 100 rounds of CCI mini mags through it with no problem, ran about another 170 rounds of Remington Golden bulletss before I began to have a few stove pipes!
The gun was getting dirty and the slide was getting dry so i figured that was the problem, had about 5 stovepipes in the last 30 or so rounds.
The first 100 rounds fired were about 5-6 inches low and 4-5 inches to the right at 7 yards(and am right handed) looked at the sights and they seemed centered??
as I began to get into the second 100 rounds I had adjusted my sight picture high and i noticed that i began to hit high and right over the bullseye.
by the time i had ran through the second hundred and started the third hundred the lil gun was dead on out to 15 yards.
I was shooting about 2-3 inch groups at 10 yards.
took him home and gave him a good bath, a nice lube job and adjsuted the over travel on the trigger.
The gun has excellent fit and finish, the brown and the green models are actually a coating of teflon and so are very smooth and flat, the sights are three dot and hi visibility yellow which is kind on my old eyes., the weapon comes with three interchangeable dove tailed front sights of different height, and the rear sight is windage adjustable as well.
adjustable trigger travel and one magazine, wood grips are standard and the Dark Earth has GI grip panels.
hey who don't like a 22 pistol and whats better than a 1911 -22 pistol?-LOL
I'll put up some targets before to long.
so far its a great little gun, i'll do a 10,000 mile re-evaluation as to longevity and problems!
One picture is with the full sized 1911's so you can see the actual size of the Sig 1911-22.

Attachments

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My goodness, that's a pretty pistol!

It's a good thing that Bre didn't buy it...because all his other "girls" would be "big-time" jealous!

·
Registered
39 Posts
yer there sweet looking bangers i've got a gsg my self couldn't leave it as is had to make it a copy of my springer 1911a1 loaded 9mm, "the DARK SIDE brother " in flat black will sand blast it and polish it when the black paint wears off hehe make it a kissing cousin for the springer. :guns:
ammo and 1911s.jpg

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Congrats, I have a GSG 1911 which is basically the same gun (just no SIG logo, for less money), it's a lot of fun to shoot for a .22. It's been quite reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Got mine in a trade for an older .22 rifle and some other stuff that also netted me an Howa/RIA Citadel 1911A1 compact .45 made by Armscor in the Philippines. Boy, olfarhors, those "US" grips sure look nice on the Sig. I put a set of Raasco "Dymondwood" grips in a half-checkered camo pattern on the Citadel, and have ordered another full-sized set to fit the Sig 1911-22. The ones for the Sig are going to be in a different color than the compact one. They haven't arrived yet so the pix have the Raasco's on the Citadel and Sig's original grips on the 1911-22. The Sig grips look pretty nice, but I like the feel of Raasco's checkering better. Raasco grips ain't cheap, but they are less expensive than a lot of the others I've seen.

The compensator (really not needed but it does work and looks cool) is made by a company called CW Accessories. The pix with the slide locked back shows the full length guide rod (much better than the original - makes the slide function smoother) made by another outfit, called GSG Pro. Fairly inexpensive, functional accessories at both places. The comp screws on the threaded barrel just fine, but you'll need to degrease the threads on the barrel and use blue Loc-tite on it when you install it or it won't stay put. I suppose you could make some closely fit "jam" washers of the proper thickness if you are that handy with machine tools. I ain't so just used lots of blue goo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
The GI grip panels really give it a "classic" look. Congrats on the new pistola. I'd forgotten just how much fun shooting a 22 could be until I took my new 1911-22 to the range last week.

By the way, I just added a full length guide rod from CW Accessories to my GSG. I'm going to try it out tommorrow, if the sun comes out.

·
Registered
36,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!
yea the Dark Earth and GI wooden grips is what sold me!
the Forest Green ( i think i said olive drab ) was nice as well and had a set of wooden grips like on Jim Shedons blue Sig , and the blue model had the set of Sig grips that are textured, very, very nice feel and was 10 bucks more due to the grips!
but I had my sights set on the dark Earth all the way.
and thanks to who ever put up the link to GSG Pro!
the gun shop had sold out of every Sig and GSG magazine they had, so i ordered a spare from GSG Pro on Friday and it arrived here Saturday in the mail< Man talk about quick shipping and through USPS as well!
I got 4-5 different grips for the 1911's from raasco might try them on the 22 but i really like the looks of the Sig G.I. grips on it.
taking it back to the range likely on Tuesday/Wednesday, let you know how he worked wih a proper cleaning and lube job.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
What I really like about these .22's is that it's really a fairly inexpensive gun as it comes from ATI or SIG (no matter, they are all made by GSG anyway, just marked differently) and we spend almost as much on accessories (sometimes more) that we originally paid for the gun. Ain't it a fun hobby?

Whoever posted the note that it sucks up lube big time was sure right about mine. I don't think the original owner had ever even oiled it and that's probably why I got it in the trade. Now that I've literally soaked everything (minus the grips) in Break Free CLP for a couple days, blown it out of the internals with an air hose and wiped everything down, it runs like a fine Swiss watch.

Does anyone know exactly which normal 1911 sights will fit the dovetails without too much "filing to fit"? I'd like to replace the plastic ones with real steel or aluminum ones for a bit more durability.

·
Registered
36,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may try a set of Hi-Viz fiber optic front sights on mine.
The Sig comes with a set of hi-visibilty yellow dots on the sights and so i can see them pretty darned good already.
The gun was shooting about 4-5 inches low and right when i started shooting it, after about 150-200 round sit came up on traget so i am not even thinking about any sights until i am sure it has settled in, then i may play with a set of fiber optics once i see which front sight height is actually what i need on it.
I put Tetra grease on the slide and rails a couple days ago and its still on and smooth as can be.
likley taking it back to the range tommorow or Wednesday and we will see how thirsty it gets.
showing up at the range with a 1911 in 22 LR and a 1911 in 38 super, talk about odd man out!-LOL

·
Registered
351 Posts
had a set of wooden grips like on Jim Shedons blue Sig
olfarhors,
Actually, those grips on mine are the Sig textured ones. When I get my Raasco set in, if you want the textured Sig grips, I'll send 'em to you as I really like checkered ones better.

·
Registered
36,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
olfarhors,
Actually, those grips on mine are the Sig textured ones. When I get my Raasco set in, if you want the textured Sig grips, I'll send 'em to you as I really like checkered ones better.
WOW!! what an offer!!
I don't know that i would use them as i like the brown GI grips on the Dark Earth,and hionestly that set of textured Sig grips are quite expensive as well jim.
If i were you i would keep them to put back on the weapon if you ever get rid of it!
But i certainly would not pass up an offer to take them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts