Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
9,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been interested in testing a P322, but wasn't ready to pull the trigger yet. My gunshow buddy however wanted one and asked me to put it through my T&E.
Motor vehicle Gas Kitchen appliance Automotive exterior Metal

So Sig's latest foray in the the 22 market is this P322. A fixed barrel, hammer fired SAO pistol. It comes in a nice Sig case with two 20 round magazines, a thread adapter, mag loader and replacement curved trigger shoe. This one ran $434 OTD.
Today I am comparing it to my TX22. My TX22 is about 3 years old and has about 600 rounds through it. I have not modified or polished anything. Just ran it, and run it has. No joke I have not had a single failure even with crappo ammo. It cost me $289 OTD 3 years ago. It comes with 2-16 round magazines, mag loader etc..Currently it serves as Ginger's varmint gun, so it has a laser to help with that job.
Wood Table Font Office supplies Writing implement

As you can see, the TX22 is a striker fired pistol compared to the hammer fired system of the Sig. Overall build quality I will have to give to the Sig P322. But simple elegance I give to the TX22.
The Sig and TX22 are almost carbon copies when it comes to spec's.
Sig P322 - OAL is 7"/TX22 OAL is 7.06". Sig P322 is OAW 1.4"/TX22 OAW is 1.25". Sig is 5.5" tall/TX22 is 5.44" tall. Sig has a 4" barrel/TX22 has a 4.1" barrel. The Sig P322 weighs 17.1oz's unloaded/TX22 is 17.3oz's unloaded. One noticeable difference is the grip ergo's, both have excellent feel, but the TX22 is a bit wider and has a more pronounced hump - kinda like a CZ or HK..The Sig P322 is just a tad wider and longer than the 365...but barely. The trigger dynamics are very similar as well. The TX22 has a bit more pretravel, and a softer wall. It breaks at 3lbs 8oz's. The Sig trigger is very good - very little takeup and a solid wall, it breaks at 3lbs.
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Both pistols have adjustable rear sights. The FO's on the Sig are small, but HD. However you will have problems seeing the bottom of the Sig front sight in cloudy or dusk like conditions. If I were to keep this, I would put a horizontal line in white on the bottom of the front sight, to help me get it aligned. But during sunny conditions they work very good. The TX22 has a good three dot system.
Peripheral Computer keyboard Gadget Camera accessory Wood

One big difference and a possible deal killer for me, is the Sig magazine and frame design. It is near impossible to strip the Sig mag out during a failure, and yes I had some. The TX22 has a notch cutout and the magazine baseplate rides outside the frame. The Sig has no notch or cutout and the mag base plate rides inside the frame.
Motor vehicle Font Gas Auto part Automotive tire

So I ran 5 Sig P322 magazines with 18 rounds of CCI 40grn plated during its first outing, and had no failures. I ended up having to crush rounds 19 and 20 into the mags and let them set for 3 days. So today I was able to load 20 but it is still hard. That mag loader is a blessing with the Sig magazines.
So how do they shoot. Well it is no surprise to me I shoot the TX22 a bit better than the Sig P322. But that isn't the guns fault, I just like wider grips on my pistols. So today I ran More CCI, Federal bulk and my crap ammo, Winchester 555 bulk from about 20 years ago. As usual the TX22 just sailed along in fact the Winchester gave me my best group of the day. The Sig....well....It was a single shot pistol with the Winchester, and I only got 5 rounds to fire, the other 15 were too damaged after trying to feed to use. The Winchester doesn't sit high enough in the Sig magazines, or flips while firing the previous round doing a great stove pipe. Did I say how dang hard it is to strip a jammed mag from this puppy, it is worth repeating.
So the Sig did run CCI and Federal bulk just fine, I'll give it a pass on that old ammo. The inability to handle malfunctions however is a deal killer, I mean we are shooting 22LR after all. If you are going to call it the best, most amazing whatever it better have a way to recover from a malfunction. Now maybe the 25 round mag being longer, might stick out enough to grab onto. But just keep that in mind, and if you can, try yanking a mag out of the store model if you can..It may just be that I am spoiled.
So that's the test and Eval. I am afraid I have to give it wait and see grade, and see if Sig fixes the magwell. It is controllable, but what 22 Pistol isn't. Fairly accurate, comfortable to shoot. But is almost $150-200 more. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good review, thank you!

Sounds like they rushed the P322 out to market. I was surprised to see the recoil spring around the barrel, exactly like the KelTec P17 is designed, also another hammered-fired .22LR pistol (not a fan, I prefer a striker) The P17 was a jamomatic for me, sold it right after it came back from KelTec and it wasn’t any better. Junk.

Having an extra four rounds in the P322 mag doesn't impress me, reliability does. I'll stick with my TX22.

·
Registered
442 Posts
One difference I didn't see is the barrels are mounted differently. The Sig used an old tried and true solid, non removable barrel design (reason for the recoil spring on the barrel). The TX22 uses a solid mount but easily removable barrel. Often accuracy goes to the permanently mounted barrel, but the Taurus design is a non tilting, solid mounting design, with good accuracy.

But thus is just my opinion formed during research looking for a new semi-auto 22 as I own neither...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good review, thank you!

Sounds like they rushed the P322 out to market. I was surprised to see the recoil spring around the barrel, exactly like the KelTec P17 is designed, also another hammered-fired .22LR pistol (not a fan, I prefer a striker) The P17 was a jamomatic for me, sold it right after it came back from KelTec and it wasn’t any better. Junk.

Having an extra four rounds in the P322 mag doesn't impress me, reliability does. I'll stick with my TX22.
They ALWAYS rush their new guns to market...The first buyers are the beta testers. Check the release of the MCX and the nightmare that was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts