Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the kids in my 4-H Club has a Sig Mosquito. Her mother (a Deputy Sheriff) bought it for her. Well, since the git go, it's been a pain in the butt. First of all, jamming problems. I removed the barrel, took some 500 grit emery cloth, rolled it up into a tube, and put it in the barrel and tried to smooth up the chamber. Then did some polishing with a Dremel polishing attachment and some jewelers rouge. That helped a tad, but there are still ejection problems. Seems it would not eject completely. I tried a sample of all of the ammo I keep on hand - Aquila, Federal Target Match, CCI Std Velocity, and so on. No ammo seemed to do the trick. I didn't want to mess with the barrel again and take it out of spec - that opens up a whole new can of worms. I called a friend of mine who is a gun smith. As soon as I told him what gun it was, there was a pause and a deep sigh at the other end of the phone. He suggested two things - stronger recoils spring (which he sent me at no cost - had one in the shop). Not sure of the strength of the spring. Second was to shoot high velocity only. I tried the combination and It seems to work. I'm now shooting the Federal Target match in the gun. I did notice that the trigger was pretty stiff. I chalked that up to a new gun. Well the young lady who owns the gun and her mom have done a lot of shooting of the gun - she says 2000 rounds or more. Some of that shooting was done while I was present at the FOP range. I shot the gun a few weeks ago, and dang, the trigger was still long and stiff; a measured 12.5 pounds even in single action. From what I've read, the pull in single should be around 4-5 pounds. So, there seems to be something amiss with the trigger. Back to my buddy the gunsmith. He told me that this is pretty much a generic problem with the Mosquito. The Mosquito has been discontinued. Ostensibly because of the ban on the export of Sig parts by Germany. My friend said there are after-market triggers which seem to clear up the problem, but it's not a very cost effective cure.

So there you have it. The Mosquito seems to be one of the only Sig failures. I think Mom is going to trade it in on a Ruger SR-22. Similar DA/SA hammer fired gun, but a heck of a lot better and more reliable.

·
8,664 Posts
The Mosquito was a massive fail on Sig's part. I have worked on three of them, and was able with the right combo of different parts to get two up and running, but with the HV only caveat. The third one I worked was my last. Simply unfixable. The owner tried to send back to Sig for warranty repair, but no dice. Luckily he only paid $300 for it, this was 5 years ago.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The Mosquito has been discontinued. Ostensibly because of the ban on the export of Sig parts by Germany.
The Mosquito has not "exactly" been discontinued. Sig sold the rights to it to GSG (German Sport Guns).
Some say GSG improved on the design (some say they didn't), but GSG now manufactures and markets the gun as the "Firefly".
The Firefly is imported to the U.S. by ATI (American Tactical Inc.).
So it may be listed as the ATI Firefly, the GSG Firefly, or the ATI-GSG Firefly.
Same gun.

·
Administrator
35,416 Posts
My wife has a Sig Mosquito, purple in fact, that she loves. Never had a jam in it, ever. I've had a FTF but 22 LR is like that sometimes. The only complaint I have about it is, it only wants to be fed the good stuff. The only ammo I've found that will reliably cycle the gun is CCI Stinger and Remington Yellow Jacket, and the YJ is as scarce as hens teeth now. Can't find it anywhere. Luckily, the Stinger ammo has been plentiful at Walmart and Academy and I have about 3,000 rounds of the stuff now. I'll keep buying it in case of another ammo scare, the last time we had one I didn't see that ammo on shelves for close to 3 years.

As long as you feed it what it likes, hers is a really nice functioning gun. If I ever get a hankering for a 22 pistola, I'll probably buy the Ruger SR22 or take a look at the new Taurus 22.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
My wife has a Sig Mosquito, purple in fact, that she loves. Never had a jam in it, ever. I've had a FTF but 22 LR is like that sometimes. The only complaint I have about it is, it only wants to be fed the good stuff. The only ammo I've found that will reliably cycle the gun is CCI Stinger and Remington Yellow Jacket, and the YJ is as scarce as hens teeth now. Can't find it anywhere. Luckily, the Stinger ammo has been plentiful at Walmart and Academy and I have about 3,000 rounds of the stuff now. I'll keep buying it in case of another ammo scare, the last time we had one I didn't see that ammo on shelves for close to 3 years.

As long as you feed it what it likes, hers is a really nice functioning gun. If I ever get a hankering for a 22 pistola, I'll probably buy the Ruger SR22 or take a look at the new Taurus 22.
I have a Bersa Thunder 22 that only likes the good stuff, and after watching many reviews on YouTube it seems that most semi-auto 22's only like the good stuff.
I bought a Heritage Rough Rider to shoot off a bunch of cheap bulk 22lr I bought.
It's fun to plink at cans, but even with that I found that it's more accurate with the good stuff.

·
Administrator
35,416 Posts
I've read that the Ruger SR22 is quite open to shooting bulk 22 LR ammo and ammo that doesn't have fps up in the 1600 stratosphere. That sounds pretty good to me whenever I decide to get a semi-auto 22.

·
Super Moderator
36,437 Posts
When I was shopping for a 22 LR semi-auto I considered the Mosquito and couldn't buy it because of the ILLinois melt guns law. I bought the Ruger SR 22 and couldn't be happier with it. Shoots CCI and Thunderbolt ammo with nary a hitch. A few FTF have occured when dirty, a wipe of the feed ramp solves the problem. Fun and accurate pistol.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can attest to the fact that the LCR eats everything I feed it - except the Winchester bulk. Nothing likes that. I've shot high and low velocity, jacketed, hollow point, lead, off brand and name brand. I get a good deal on Federal ammo because of their youth shooting program, so most of what I shoot is either Target Mark or CCI. My club uses the SR-22 for the Scholastic Steel program, and we've had no problems with them except with the Winchester bulk. I tried that stuff at our recent Shooting Ed camp. It was about 8 years old. All of the bolt guns eat it. The semi-auto pistols hate the stuff. But for a .22 pistol, I don't think you can beat the SR-22.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I've personally had very few .22 ammo related jamming problems that weren't solved by CCI Mini Mag. Sounds like there was more than just an ammo problem, though. And of course there are some guns - like the classic old Hi Standards - that just can't be used with high velocity ammo. Glad the gun is cycling right now.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
The Mosquito has not "exactly" been discontinued. Sig sold the rights to it to GSG (German Sport Guns).
Some say GSG improved on the design (some say they didn't), but GSG now manufactures and markets the gun as the "Firefly".
The Firefly is imported to the U.S. by ATI (American Tactical Inc.).
So it may be listed as the ATI Firefly, the GSG Firefly, or the ATI-GSG Firefly.
Same gun.

Well, I really don't believe that Sig sold the right to the mosquito to GSG. Sig Bought out German sport guns about 5 or 6 years ago. The mosquito from Sig was basically a loser. Sig simply rebranded it for GSG and started selling it as a Firefly. The Firefly has not worked out well either.

Don

·
Super Moderator
35,144 Posts
She'll like the SR22. I REALLY like mine. :D The only thing it won't feed is Winchester 333 which is loaded really light and won't feed in my Mk 2, either. The SR22 is 2" at 25 yards accurate with Remington Golden Bullet or the Federal Champion bulk. It shoots other loads with less accuracy. I usually feed it Remington GB. :D

·
Registered
36,472 Posts
Heck I ain/t got a single 22 semi auto that will run on bulk Winchester, that includes such low quality weapons as the Ruger MK, the Browning Buckmark, 2 Beretta Neos, a Ruger 10/ 22 , a S & W AR 15-22.
I don' hold that against any gun after my lack of success with the ammo.
apparently it works for someone as they continue to produce it.

·
Super Moderator
35,144 Posts
Heck I ain/t got a single 22 semi auto that will run on bulk Winchester, that includes such low quality weapons as the Ruger MK, the Browning Buckmark, 2 Beretta Neos, a Ruger 10/ 22 , a S & W AR 15-22.
I don' hold that against any gun after my lack of success with the ammo.
apparently it works for someone as they continue to produce it.
I keep a box around because it works in my junky little Phoenix Arms zamak wonder and doesn't stress the frame like more potent loads. Fairly accurate, too, in that pistol. I don't shoot it very often, though. I have REAL firearms in .22LR. :D It also works in revolvers, but I know how you dislike revolvers. :D No feeding problems with revolvers, though.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Well, I really don't believe that Sig sold the right to the mosquito to GSG. Sig Bought out German sport guns about 5 or 6 years ago. The mosquito from Sig was basically a loser. Sig simply rebranded it for GSG and started selling it as a Firefly. The Firefly has not worked out well either.
So GSG is a subsidiary of Sig? I didn't know that.
Is that so they can transfer all their rejects to GSG?

I came very close to buying a Firefly last year, but I went with a Bersa Thunder 22 instead.
I liked it so much I went out and bought a Bersa Thunder 380 too.
It's a James Bond clone, and my wife likes it.

·
Registered
36,472 Posts
I keep a box around because it works in my junky little Phoenix Arms zamak wonder and doesn't stress the frame like more potent loads. Fairly accurate, too, in that pistol. I don't shoot it very often, though. I have REAL firearms in .22LR. :D It also works in revolvers, but I know how you dislike revolvers. :D No feeding problems with revolvers, though.
IF I had to fire Winny bulk in my 22 I swear I would just not even take them to the range, its so darned frustrating to continuously clear a jam, clear a malfunctioned ejection from the port, clear a mis fire with a good indentation. Kind of reminds me of my friend, neighbor an buddy that bought the jimenez 22 and couldn't get through a mag without a jam.
I know some people have no problems but not me!
ohh and its not that I don't like revolvers its just that I hate messing with that Black powder as its sooo nasty and dirty when loading them revolvers.

·
Super Moderator
35,144 Posts
IF I had to fire Winny bulk in my 22 I swear I would just not even take them to the range, its so darned frustrating to continuously clear a jam, clear a malfunctioned ejection from the port, clear a mis fire with a good indentation. Kind of reminds me of my friend, neighbor an buddy that bought the jimenez 22 and couldn't get through a mag without a jam.
I know some people have no problems but not me!
ohh and its not that I don't like revolvers its just that I hate messing with that Black powder as its sooo nasty and dirty when loading them revolvers.

You're in luck! Some time before 1900, they started loading .22 with smokeless and Smith and Wesson introduced the triple lock! It's a whole new modern world out there! :D

But, I don't discriminate. I have them clippy thang shooters, too. :D

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

Don
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Sport_Guns_GmbH

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I had a Mosquito for a month and dumped it. Mine was the most temperamental piece of garbage I have ever owned. Surprisingly the two most reliable .22LR semi's I have in pistols are the TX22 and the P-07 Kadet. They will shoot any bulk ammo all day.

My .22/45 LITE isn't bad either.

Maloy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts