Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the next door neighbor dropped by yesterday afternoon with a new one, the range /gunshop had one on order for him and it came in.
Nice little package, his is totally black, amazingly similiar to the Sig 238 even in size and weight.
its about 1/2 inch longer than the 238, the grip is about 1/2 inch larger in diameter (those big old long 9MM bullets you know), comes with an ambi thumb safety and night sites.
Sig has upgraded the grips as well , they are polymer it appears but a much better gripping surface.
He took it home to clean it and showed back up at the front door about 30 minutes later with gun pieces in hand!
seems he couldn't get the recoil spring and rod in the gun.'
After a few tries i see where SIG plans to eat some of the recoil up at in a gun this small in the 9 MM cartridge, LOL
the recoil spring must be about a 28 pound spring, man it took both of us to get that darned thing back in.
it does have the upgraded helical spiral recoil spring.
suppose to go run a couple hundred rounds through it with him tommorow, give a range report then.
First impressions??
hey its a more powerful 238, what else needs to be said??
OH I guess the price ?? he paid 650 for it.
it fits perfectly in the same pocket holster that the Sig 238 does and the frame is identical so the Sig laser should fit it like a glove, you know for those interested in eye suregry and such.
down side?/ no mags except for SIG mags! no grips other than Sig grips, at least currently.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Dang nab it!! A pox on your neighbor! Where are my meds?? :D Of course, you'll torture us with a pic in your next post, right??

:nopics:

Reactions: Felix

·
Super Moderator
17,588 Posts
Dang nab it!! A pox on your neighbor! Where are my meds?? :D Of course, you'll torture us with a pic in your next post, right??

:nopics:
Here's a stock photo to keep you calm for now...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Thanks for the 'fix'. Where are my car keys?? :D

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the neighbor first showed up at the door he said look what i just picked up!
he handed the gun to me and i thought he had bought another 238 , he has one now with a stainless slide, i figured he picked up a blacked out one.
then i looked at the ambi safety and said when did Sig start that?
he looked funny and said they always had that?
then i looked again and noticed it was the 938, then i noticed the slightly longer barrel.
I tell ya this thing is tiny for a 9MM.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've been dogging my LGS almost daily waiting for one to show up.

I never leave home without my .238, so if the 938 conceals as easily it will get the nod.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
When the neighbor first showed up at the door he said look what i just picked up!
he handed the gun to me and i thought he had bought another 238 , he has one now with a stainless slide, i figured he picked up a blacked out one.
then i looked at the ambi safety and said when did Sig start that?
he looked funny and said they always had that?
then i looked again and noticed it was the 938, then i noticed the slightly longer barrel.
I tell ya this thing is tiny for a 9MM.
Yep. I had a hard time figuring out which was which in glen's pic. I guess I'll just have to take the hit on a 'relapse'. :D

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well went to the range for a torture test so to speak on the 938.
"its a sure keeper"
I will try to get some actual pictures up with the 238 along side , the owner took it home to give it a well deserved bath.
Gosh this guy acts like its just his pistol??
don't he understand that there are addicts out there in puter land that want to play as well?
anyway, heres a basic rundown!
280 rounds through the gun, 250 FMJ, 30 rounds of self defense ammo.
6 failures to extract and or eject, no feed problems at all, all problems were encountered with new Remington 9mm 115 FMJ.
50 rounds of remington 115 FMJ ,50 rounds Monarch 115 fmj, 100 rounds my reloads 115 plated Hollow Point,50 rounds Aqulia 124 FMJ, 10 rounds Fiocchi EMB 92 grain copper, 5 rounds Federal 124 gr plus P hydra shok, 5 rounds of fiocchi XTP 124 gr,5round of Winchester silvertip 115, 5 rounds Hornady FTX 115 gr.
all self defense rounds were perfect in function.
the Aquila 124 gr in FMJ was the best of the practice ammo, the self defense rounds were close but the Fiocchi 124 XTP seemed to be best. heck all were kill shots at 7 yards anyway!
The surprizing out take for me was that the 92 grain Fiocchi EMB, the standard loadings in 115 & 124 and even the 124 plus P had virtually the exact same felt recoil???
recoil was somewhat more than the 238 but not by much, this is one smooth pistol as to recoil and muzzle flip!
I found the recoil lighter than the Taurus 709 or Ruger 9 MM, and the Kahr 9 MM as well.
The neighbor brought the laser for the Sig 238 and it fit and worked like a glove, even to the point that it was still dead on target when placing it on the 938.
The neighbor was hitting at 7 yards with 6-7 shot groups of less than 2 inches dead center bull after about 60-70 rounds, i was grouping left a bit but not bad groups , about 3 inches left of center.
Sweet gun, the range said all 10 that they recieved was gone in about 12 hours, now some were on order for people as well.
OK guys go forth and aquire!-LOL

·
Registered
420 Posts
Thanks olfarhors!

I'm sure it will take me months to find one. I had figured I'd wait a while to see if it had birthing problems like the original 238's, but after your review I'll risk it.

If you'd tried some Gold Dot Short Barrel, I'd had no tests to run. :D

Any idea what caused the FTEs?

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I just took every 9 MM random defense load that i had laying around to test the weapon, I must not have had any gold dots loose, i know i don't have any short barrel.
I really don't know what the reason for the Remington FMJ having problems.
3 of us shot the gun, the owner, myself and even one of the clerks at the range that sold the gun , he wanted to shoot it as a reccomendation to others.
we all 3 had at least 1 failure to extract and eject?
so not a shooters flaw?
I guess it simply did not like the Remington, this was UMC by the way!
OK, the owner just called and said he would bring the weapon over here shortly so i should have some pics before long up on this post.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok, for all you guys that are Voyuers!!!-like me!!!---LOL
This particular 938 is the "Nightmare' version, an all black weapon, equipted wih sig night sites, ambi safety and poly black grips,
actually the grips work very nicely!
its compared to my 238 two-tone, which is a light weight version of the 238, nothing special other than the weight, the grips have been changed to hogues!-- notice the palm swell on them nice! --but thats another story!
The Sig 238 weighs in at 13.9 ounces with an empty magazine.
the Sig 938 weighs in at 17.0 ounces with an empty magazine.
add the weight of what ever round(s) that you are going to carry and you got it!
picture 1 -the sig 238 is laying on top of the 938, notcice the slightly longer barrel.
Picture 2- slightly longer barrel and wider grip.
Picture 3 -notice the ambi safety on the 938, the 238 is left safety only.
Picture 4 - just a nice looking couple of guns!-LOL
picture 5- note the larger (wider) magazine of the 938 to accomodate the longer 9 MM round, hence the wider grip.
Ok, guys hope this helps, not sure just how much extras would be on the Nightmare as other models but i Imagine they are most all the same except for finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
DUDE!! You're killin' me here!! :D Memorial Day weekend in Texas, and a fun show in town. What to do, what to do?? I'M WEAK!! :D

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DUDE!! You're killin' me here!! :D Memorial Day weekend in Texas, and a fun show in town. What to do, what to do?? I'M WEAK!! :D
UH OH!! you are not going to like this!!!
I just found out that those Polymer black grips on the 938 that i said worked really good???
well I just found out they are actually VZ G-10 grips!
I don't know if this is specicfic to just the "Nightmare' model or not!-- Sorry for the good news!!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Great report olfarhos, (even if you are an addict :D)

Mine has been on order, but has not come in yet. Now you have me chomping at the bit for my fix!

Rob

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great report olfarhos, (even if you are an addict :D)

Mine has been on order, but has not come in yet. Now you have me chomping at the bit for my fix!

Rob
Thanks ROB!!
of course you know we need/want/desire pictures when you get it!---:drool:

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
It was a close call, but I (I mean my wallet) survived the fun show (relatively speaking). :D The Bad news was that nobody had the 938, and the Good news was that nobody had the 938. I picked up some grips and accessories, and out the door I went, a mere six hours later. Ammo prices were freakin' out there, and everything else continues to climb. The same dealer I got the Citadel 3.5 nickle/$479 from is now charging $549. NO Ruger SR22s, but last price I saw was $349, and ONE Ruger SR1911 for $975. OUCH! I'm thinking the 938 is gonna have to wait until NOV 7th, hopefully.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thanks ROB!!
of course you know we need/want/desire pictures when you get it!---:drool:

I will surely do that. My friend is the gun range/shop owner, and he has 6 on order.
Guess he is just waiting his turn for the order to be filled by Sig.
Looks like my wife will retire the old Rossi 38 spec revolver, and inherit my Sig 238, Rainbow edition when I get my hands on the Sig 938. I'll be sure to send pics and a range report when it comes in.

Rob

1 - 20 of 67 Posts