Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
9,141 Posts
Looks like a plumber loaded it. Very weird.

• New Sierra® Outdoor Master™ cartridges utilize innovative components and production processes that deliver an economical cartridge suitable for all purposes. Topped with Sierra’s proven line of Sports Master™ Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP) bullets, the Power Jacket provides positive, uniform and controlled expansion by means of specially placed skives in the jacket around the tip of the bullet.
  • comments from folks:
  • Cycled just fine in my Canik TP9SFX, TP9 Elite SC, my Rock Island 1911 Ultra FS and my Shield.
  • They're loaded in some weird kind of case that sounds unlike any other "brass" I've ever heard when it's ejected and hits the ground.
  • From their site: quote: "Shell Shock casings are 50% lighter than brass (but stronger and more elastic), reloadable, eject cool to the touch, and magnetic – so ejected rounds clean up easy indoors or out."
  • The case is "modular". I think the base is steel and the rest is brass. How else would it be magnetic AND reloadable?

·
Registered
G2c PT145 MilPro
400 Posts
My indoor range doesn't allow steel cased ammo. I'm assuming these would be considered 'steel cased'.

·
Super Moderator
38,236 Posts
If it's HP SD ammo, I can see the price. If they catch on, it may make all the thousands of brass 9mm cases I've been saving increase in value! 😄

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
HMMM? --build it and they will come I guess?
I can't see how the time labor involved in mating the two metals effectively could save money but with the computers and robots maybe its possible.
it is going to add a whole new level of "recycled" to the mix however.
steel (if thats what it is) at the base I can't really seeing it be Reloadable, yea possible but you know that area needs to be properly sized as well up to a point.
Life will be sooo much simplier when we get fully into the save the environment and all begin to use ray guns!
Font Darkness Midnight Art Entertainment

Reactions: pegasus and PTDOUDE

·
Registered
486 Posts
Those cases appear to be, or are very similar to, the two piece Shell Shock cases. The SS cases are different enough to require special reloading dies and no reloader I know will buy them. Probably why ammo manufacturers are starting to use them. Another example of "let's reinvent the wheel" even though there are millions of 9mm brass cases everywhere you look. I've got enough 9mm brass to last me a lifetime even if I never pick up another case at the range.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Maybe they're intended to be fired from a yet to be sold Gyrojet type of pistol that utilizes this 2 stage looking cartridge. You fire the round with the 1st & 2nd stage departing the barrel then halfway to the target the bullet & steel case separate doubling the range of your standard 9mm cartridge. Ya thaink? 🤣

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
.....Life will be sooo much simplier when we get fully into the save the environment and all begin to use ray guns!
I'll just opt for one of Capt. Kirk's Phasers, thank you very much.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i don`t know about reloadable . i got some of these 2 piece cases (range pick-up ) mixed in in with my brass .
upon resizing easily pulled the case apart , leaving the top section in the die. big fun to get out ---------------

·
Registered
72 Posts
Been out for a couple years. Shell Shock Technologies makes them. From what I've read, they function just like and 9mm brass but special dies are needed to reload them (a "normal" sizing/decapping will push the case apart). I don't see how a 2 piece part can be made cheaper then a single piece, two pieces made/machined separately and then assembled vs a single part run theough a few machines.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Been out for a couple years. Shell Shock Technologies makes them. From what I've read, they function just like and 9mm brass but special dies are needed to reload them (a "normal" sizing/decapping will push the case apart). I don't see how a 2 piece part can be made cheaper then a single piece, two pieces made/machined separately and then assembled vs a single part run theough a few machines.
Same here. Only way I can see that they could be manufactured for less is the use of less expensive steel (case wall) & aluminum (case head) vs. the more costly brass, which is probably getting more scarce. Otherwise, AFAIC, they're a waste of money for those of us that do our own reloading.

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
i don`t know about reloadable . i got some of these 2 piece cases (range pick-up ) mixed in in with my brass .
upon resizing easily pulled the case apart , leaving the top section in the die. big fun to get out ---------------
So much for the "reloadable" part.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts