Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Dayum! I think I gotta' git me one of those!! I have ALWAYS wanted a .30-30 sideloader. With the brass buttplate and the fore end engraving, that is one FINE looking rifle! I might have to consider liquidating a few of my stock for one of those!

Reactions: darbo

·
23,203 Posts
Oh, I hope they make it in .357 and .45 Colt!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I don't know IMO it's not a Henry with side loading. I know they are making a business decision and listening to customers since it is a buyers market now. I will stick with my Henry's that load through mag. tube.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Looks like I'll be shopping for a new .35 Rem.... been waiting for years for a side-gate.

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
I'm glad they made a side loader WITH the front tube loading as well. Guess I'll have to wait until they come out with that in 45 colt. The furniture checkering is also a very nice touch. I can see matching engraving on the receiver being offered in the future.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Initially it will be offered in .30-30 Winchester (Model #H024-3030) and .38-55 (Model #H024-3855). Ammunition is much cheaper in .30-30 so that would be my first choice. Haven't heard any rumblings about it being offered in additional calibers, but I bet if these two take off in sales you'll see additional side loaders from Henry. So far I have not seen any for sale at retailers. They're probably still ramping up inventory as I expect them to be pretty popular.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
It is about time! I've had that argument with Henry a couple of times over the years at shows where they set up. They could get a little arrogant about it at times so I just walked away. Henry makes a very nice rifle but if I'm going to pay their price I want what I want and the loading tube is not what I want in a lever rifle. I guess they finally figured out the Henry name will only carry them so far and they might sell a few more rifles if they listened to their customers.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Initially it will be offered in .30-30 Winchester (Model #H024-3030) and .38-55 (Model #H024-3855). Ammunition is much cheaper in .30-30 so that would be my first choice. Haven't heard any rumblings about it being offered in additional calibers, but I bet if these two take off in sales you'll see additional side loaders from Henry. So far I have not seen any for sale at retailers. They're probably still ramping up inventory as I expect them to be pretty popular.
The .35 Rem is already listed too (Model #H024-35)...

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/side-gate-lever-action/

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know IMO it's not a Henry with side loading. I know they are making a business decision and listening to customers since it is a buyers market now. I will stick with my Henry's that load through mag. tube.
Henry makes some great rifles. Having said that, the only rifle I might have considered is a .22LR model. Beyond that I would have never bought one without side loading. The fact that these new models have both is just icing on the cake.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Way cool. That makes the Henry a more serious piece. Glad to see Iraq Veteran keeping gun to his shoulder when cycling. Do you know why you see some shooters that don't do that ? They owned Daisy Red Ryders when they were kids.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
Glad to see Iraq Veteran keeping gun to his shoulder when cycling. Do you know why you see some shooters that don't do that ? They owned Daisy Red Ryders when they were kids.
Yep!
and that's why we have so many one eyed rifle shooters these days!
damn B B guns!

·
Premium Member
11,265 Posts
Loading gate makes sense for the rifle calibers. Pistol calibers, tube loading is best. Just my personal preference. Leaving the tube in for the rifle calibers makes it easier to unload without having to cycle the action.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Ditto. I think it is good as an option but one of the reasons I went Henry, instead of Marlin, with my last lever gun was for the tube loaded magazine.

Reactions: oso and darbo

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
All of the 3 Henry side loader models also have a tubular magazine that loads through the tube. Same as all Henry rifles. They just give you the option of loading through the tube magazine or the side loader. Or you could tube load 3-4 rounds and then side load the rest. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
15,359 Posts
People are funny. First, people would avoid Henry's because they didn't have a loading gate. Now that they're coming out with one, people are complaining that it's just not a Henry with a loading gate. For the latter group, it's ok. They still make tube loading Henrys. I figure let them work through this first Gen side loader release and start looking for changes and/or revisions. If they later decide to kill the idea, the side loaders won't be available for under 2 grand.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Finally! The one thing that had kept me from buying a Henry was the method of loading, which just plain went against everything I had learned about firearms safety by requiring the shooter to stick their hand out in front of the muzzle.

Now all they need to do is offer a side-loading model in .45 Long Colt or .45-70 and I'll be interested.

Reactions: .452dia and darbo

·
Super Moderator
38,009 Posts
Put me in the loading gate camp. My Marlin 44 Mag and Winchester '94 load like that and my Model 1906 is a tube magazine. I much prefer the ability to reload quickly through the side.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts