Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK the one hand gun post kicked this into my mind. Well that and the books I'm currently reading.

What 4 firearms would you chose for a SHTF situation? Originally I thought three but I personally felt it left a hole.

Sarge

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
AR-15 in both 5.56 and .300blk (swapping of uppers so by ATF standards it is only one gun)
My .270 (because I already have it)
Shotgun
Sure would like a 22LR as well but I only have 4 arms.

Where would I go is a better question... An answer will not be revealed though.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
My:

1) 12 ga with 28" barrel
2) .308 bolt action
3)20 ga slug gun
4) either my 809 or 24/7

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Remington 870
Smith m&p sport 15
Taurus 82
ROSSI 30-30

Because that's primarily what I own.
I'm not really sure what that threat would look like. If the food supply crashed I'd bet I could get a lot in trade for a side of deer.

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
.22lr target rifle
870 12g
Desert Eagle 1911
Marlin 336 30/30

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's mine by the way:

1. A good common pistol. Not sure it would be the Sig I currently own as they are said to be picky on mags. But a pistol is a good last ditch weapon.

2. A .22lr rifle such as a Ruger 10/22. Originally I thought not due to no reloading of the ammo and no more stores but it turns out there are reloaders for .22 now. So this rifle would be for small game and teaching purposes.

3. A shot gun, 20 or 13 ga as those are extremely common here. Food and defense.

4. Here I run into problems with 4. A rifle such as mine with uppers in 5.56 and .300 BLK or a bolt action 30.06 or .33 Win. The .300 does reach out and hit like a 7.62 but only 400 yards or so. The 30.06/.300 Win go further. Long range defense and hunting.

Sarge

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
probably at least 1 from each group, rifle, shotgun, semi and revolver.
shotgun - mossberg 500 12g.
semi - 1911 style in .45
revolver - prob .357
rifle - this is where it gets more blurry, but prob something that shares ammo with either the revolver or a .45 carbine.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
One revolver in .357 and one ar in .223.A .22lr would be an option as well as a 9mm for having to find ammo provided you live long enough and they are common calibers.

One rifle and one handgun.The rest would be ammo.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Some of us old guys were laughing about one of the most practical guns to have would be a simple pellet gun. They work well on small game and in the old pump up type are not loud. In many towns the number of squirrels, pigeons, rabbits, etc would provide food. Even better choices in the country. Not a gun but a wrist rocket slingshot, if you learn to shoot it takes small game well with the right projectile. You would spend more time trying to find food than shooting bad guys. The less attention the better. Gun fire draws attention.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Some of us old guys were laughing about one of the most practical guns to have would be a simple pellet gun.
The thing I got against pellet guns if I had to "bug out" is I don't like the gun I'm depending on needing rubber-polymer-urethane-whatever o-rings and seals. I'd rather have a repeating .22LR carbine of some sort that works well with short, long, and long rifle ammo. There is some really quiet .22 ammo out there and it all goes bang without worry of rubber rot or getting a nick in a seal from grit that gets in the gun.

A simple and short bolt gun or lever gun would do nicely. IMO, of course. ;)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Didn't we do this already??

1 - 20 of 89 Posts