Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you think that S&W doesn't do this on their J frames? This is actually a selling point that brought me to the M85 instead of the 442/642. Small threads, snags etc can get caught on the ejector rod on Smiths and hamper/prevent a clean pocket draw.

Does anyone else feel this way?

BC

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am not an engineer, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately. This is just a guess, but I'd bet it is because of the cost of re-tooling, which they'd have to pass on to the consumer. If their prices go up, then Taurus would take even more of their business away from them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
BurkC, for years I carried a S&W Model 60 in my left front pocket, I carried it so long it looked like a Nickle gun. I never once had a problem with the ejector rod being uncovered. The small guns are supposed to be light, & added metal would make them heavier. I think cost would have something to do with a change. Colts had an uncovered ejector for years & an added bonus I felt was a slightly longer ejector rod. This is what I found for myself. Thanks Frank.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
S&W's .357 J-frame snubbies have a shrouded ejector rod if you prefer that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frank V said:
BurkC, for years I carried a S&W Model 60 in my left front pocket, I carried it so long it looked like a Nickle gun. I never once had a problem with the ejector rod being uncovered. The small guns are supposed to be light, & added metal would make them heavier. I think cost would have something to do with a change. Colts had an uncovered ejector for years & an added bonus I felt was a slightly longer ejector rod. This is what I found for myself. Thanks Frank.
Good points Frank. You are probably correct.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
Quite simply, they probably don't think that a 38 special needs the extra weight on the gun because recoil is pretty mild. The 357 snub is, obviously, a horse of a different color.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I like the lines of a non-shrouded ejector rod. Two good things about them:
If the rod ever loosens and backs out, access to screw it back in is easier
Dirt and debris don't collect inside the pocket it rides in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts