Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2086 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
One of the fun things about the 1911 model is it's ability to be personalized. Unlike most guns, these beg to be modified. I'll show you mine... now you show us yours!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Show US Your Taurus

Rocketfoot... I'm getting ready to have a crisis. I love the ALS grips, but I bought the wildest set of swirl figured Cocobolo grips from ebay... $15 total... no one seems interested since ebay is getting ready to shut down gun parts. I'll post pics of the new grips when they come in... and you all can help me decide!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

I have done very little to my PT1911 externally, although I have done some "tweaking" internally. Not that it needed it, just because I know how and can ;)

I have yet to find the grips I want, so I am still using the factory grips. Which are very, very functional even in cold, wet or slippery conditions. I nearly bought a pair of those "Punisher" grips off ebay or some old Delta grips (with the delta emblem), but didn't. I have a very low serial number 11xxx, so I may just leave this one stock and buy another one, although I doubt I can get them for $425.00 again :(

Still kicking myself for not buying a pair of them with consecutive serial numbers when I could have...gggrrrrrr....

If and when I do buy a second PT1911, I think I will duracoat it OD green or ghost grey and use Falcon ERGO OD or Black grips, but for now here is what I have and yes the COMP works great.

·
Registered
37 Posts

The only thing that needed done on mine was to replace the grips!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Grips are a dark wood, double diamond. Had it a few months and never shot it yet, been to sick to go out into the boonies. Gun looks great and feels great. Im happy so far. I have 2 AKs and 2 pistols I need to shoot.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Here she is!

Got back from the range today and to my surprise I had my Coco grips waiting for me at the door from Brownells. Take a good look at it, because in a month it will not look like this at all. Likely the slide will be brushed chrome and the frame will be pararized.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Big Sam... what is the guncoating? It looks like hard chrome?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

DoItRight said:
I hate to sound like a doofus but what EXACTLY does the compensator "do?" (and why would I want one?)
Compensator generally cuts down on recoil, muzzle flip and can improve accuracy a bit. Plus it often gives greater second shot speed, by getting your gun back on target through reduced muzzle flip, faster.

There are several ways to do the compensator set up. The best is a ported barrel and slide like on my PT945 (factory ported) or a longer ported barrel that extends past the slide. And then there are different styles and quality of add on compensator's like the one on my PT1911. I don't use it all the time on my PT1911, but it is a neat little extra thingy to play with at the range (one more way to customize a toy ::) )

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

One thing to becareful of when using an add-on comp, is the fit. One that are not made with correct tolerances, can bind on the slide and throw off accuracy. Best to dry test them for fit by working the slide slowly at first, watching the barrel & slide for fit. I think a good percentage on the market are well CNC machined. But its always best to watch the fit first, before firing...

·
Registered
36 Posts

Hey Cimarron.

I was told by the smith that the guncoat, which I now believe is Gunkote is actually a kind of paint that is very durable.
I'm still new to this stuff.

1 - 20 of 2086 Posts