Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone actually have any "Saturday Night Specials" - defined as cheaply made guns that may hurt you as much as your target?
I recall one from many years ago. In memory, it seems it was made totally of brass with white grips. No trigger guard; in fact, no trigger - just a buttom you pushed after cocking the single action revolver. Probably a .22 or .32 caliber; small enough that the owner concealed it behind the headlight of his '52 Plymouth.
I've seen such old guns at gun shows, usually priced as though they are valuable antiques and never noticed anyone buying the things. There are still relatively inexpensive handguns being made - HiPoint comes to mind - but by all accounts they are well-made shooters that suffer only from being fugly.
But at least one lawmaker considers Saturday Night Specials a clear and present danger and, as such, subject to regulation by the ATF.

From Big Government:
Gun Control
IL Democrat Proposes 'Junk Gun' Ban
by Elizabeth Sheld 4 Mar 2013 151post a comment
Share This:A democrat congressman from America's murder capital will introduce legislation to ban 'junk handguns.' The bill is "designed to ban the production of low-quality handguns, known informally as 'Saturday night specials.' "
While the emphasis and attention has been focused on the rarely-used-in-crime "assault weapon," Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) is going after the much cheaper, more frequently used weapon of choice,the cheap handgun. Gutierrez points out that 97% of Chicago's gun murders were committed using a handgun.

The plan here is to force the ATF to regulate the domestic production of handguns they way they currently do for guns that are imported for sale in the US. Gutierrez argues that "economy guns" are made with weaker metals or lack of safety features, so that they cost less money. By expanding the ATF's power, they could simply outlaw guns that are made with such materials or do not meet certain safety requirements.

"When we regulate cars and cribs and a whole host of products to ensure they are safe for public consumption, how does it not makes sense that we have basic safety standards for dangerous handguns?” he asked. "Now is the time to remove the most unsafe handguns from the market."

While the pretense of this silly gun grab was to ban the guns most frequently used in crime because they are cheap, now we hear that these guns are actually unsafe for their owners.

Shameless.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
No junk here.. All of my guns were lost in the canoe crash....

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Yup, surfing accident over here.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
The only gun I have right now is an old jennings j25 that the trigger bar doesn't work and I can't take it apart because the take down button wont budge. And just walking into a gunsmith's shop would cost more than its worth.

·
10,379 Posts
I kind of miss my "junk gun". Had a break action OU .38 belly gun (1.5" barrel...if that<g>) that was horrifying to even think about shooting but was actually kind of fun. Grouped about 4" at 5 yards.

Still have no idea who made it though, it had no markings on it when I picked it up at a rummage sale for $15 back in '89/'90. Was buried in the bottom of a box of books that I bought.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts

The bottom one is my Stevens 30-30 bolt action, mag fed. Never really sighted it in and I've only shot it 5 times (one outing). Sights are off but I was able to walk the rounds in to a reactive box target @ 100 yards in 3 shots with the open sights (pretty good for me with my screwed up eyes). I either need to polish up the feed ramp or use ballistic tipped Hornady rounds because it doesn't fed well with the standard rounded off 30-30 rounds.

I also have a junk 20 gauge semi auto shot gun my father gave me when his father gave him a really nice over under. I say it's junk because it jams on extraction ever other round.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Reactions: mingaa and btleslie

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I haven't kept up with this issue, because Democrats are even more impervious to logic than they are to 9mm head shots, but I vaguely recall reading that "Saturday Night Specials" have become unfashionable. The boys are now using quality weapons stolen in burglaries, or perhaps purchased with their EBT cards. So it's really a non-issue. Of course, libtards have been insisting that your handgun is more dangerous to you than to any criminal since the discredited Kellerman study of the 1990s.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I had a bunch of old memory pieces, but unfortunately I was on gbusmech's Party Barge with a bunch of you other knuckleheads when he tried that ill advised run down the rapids and we swamped...

Reactions: mingaa and mwj999

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
I have a Burgo, made in Germany (probably GDR) ca.1970, 4" barrel .22LR. Nickel plating is in great shape, as are the faux ivory stocks. opinion on the interwebs is the Burgo was/is the epitome of Saturday Night Specials. Mine shoots fine, I keep it in the truck.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
No junk here. In fact no guns here as a result of a Gulf Coast fishing accident. The boat started taking water and sink. I had to jettison useless weight in order to stay afloat. The guns went overboard right after the wife.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The only gun I have right now is an old jennings j25 that the trigger bar doesn't work and I can't take it apart because the take down button wont budge. And just walking into a gunsmith's shop would cost more than its worth.
Sounds like a good candidate to take to the next gummint-cheese-for-guns swap!! :D

Reactions: TXEric

·
Registered
21,120 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I had one of these, but it was taken to be used in Warehouse 13.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts

I hated it......flippin junk....the safetey would kick on from recoil about 95% of the time.....

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
steampunk gun.jpg

really short barrel - not sure that it's original...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts