Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of people mentioned adding a light to their press so they could see inside the case. Which lead me to think, "What other 'hacks', ingenious thinking is going on out there? Please add your pick so we can see what you did and maybe engineer, and I use that term loosely, something for ourselves.

This is one I started using yesterday.

IMG_3210.jpg

Maybe, I should clean the finger prints off of it?

:D

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I like your hack. Anything to help the/my old eyes to see better is a good thing. I don't really have any hacks per se. I do use the light kit on my Hornady LnL AP. It's not the Hornady light kit. I don't remember the brand but it has 2 LED light, a round one that sits in the hole top/center of the press and shines straight down on everything, and then it has a LED strip that attaches to the front frame member. This light is worth my weight in gold!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've shown this here before but this is my little portable/stowable reloading box. It's gone through several transformations. I've long since outgrown its usefulness and will be building myself a big cabinet in the near future.

I would love to upload some pictures but it seems the website is being goofy...

·
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like your hack. Anything to help the/my old eyes to see better is a good thing. I don't really have any hacks per se. I do use the light kit on my Hornady LnL AP. It's not the Hornady light kit. I don't remember the brand but it has 2 LED light, a round one that sits in the hole top/center of the press and shines straight down on everything, and then it has a LED strip that attaches to the front frame member. This light is worth my weight in gold!
:nopics:

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've been able to upload pics elsewhere in the forum but for some reason pics won't upload in this thread...

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
I bought an electrical articulating cabinet torch from Goodwill Industries for $3.88, yet still had to purchase a new bulb to get it to light up.

Attachments

Reactions: william

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I could only get the latest incarnation to upload and I couldn't get it into my other posts by editing.

View attachment 424283

Reactions: william

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
A couple of people mentioned adding a light to their press so they could see inside the case. Which lead me to think, "What other 'hacks', ingenious thinking is going on out there? Please add your pick so we can see what you did and maybe engineer, and I use that term loosely, something for ourselves.

This is one I started using yesterday.

Maybe, I should clean the finger prints off of it?

:D
MY GOODNESS!!
so does your seeing eye dawg wear ear muffs or do you leave him outside in the gun shop while you shoot?------

·
Registered
36,871 Posts

yep!
I got two battery powered LED light strips on the bottom of the shelf (metal) above my press and work area to use when I need them.

·
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MY GOODNESS!!
so does your seeing eye dawg wear ear muffs or do you leave him outside in the gun shop while you shoot?------
I've only got two eyes, no reason to wear them out.

I've got another vision related hack I'll post up soon. Maybe I should move away from these sissy calibers, and get some I can see. 10mm, 45, 50 cal

:)

Reactions: olfarhors

·
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here it is!

IMG_3217.jpg

One day I was squinting trying to see the powder that I was trickling into the pan, wondering why it was so hard to see, until I realized I had sat a dark colored box between the, white, wall and the powder trickler. Now I just stick a few sheets of copy paper up behind the trickler and ta da, I can see those little dust specks fall into the pan.

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
OK, just to satisfy my often weird mind--So why would you want to watch powder flakes drop into a pan?
I use to enjoy watching paint dry on walls but that was back in the Oil Base years and I actually enjoyed the fumes!

·
15,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you turn the trickler, a flake drops and the scale doesn't move, that is related to mass. If you turn the trickler and nothing drops and the scale doesn't move, how would I know, nothing dropped, that's related to being unable to see. I have watched large flakes drop and have the scale make no perceptible movement. And a barely visible particle drop and the scale move a tenth of a grain or more, again this deals with mass not size.

When I am testing new components, I want a visual reference, also.

ymmv

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
AHHHH!!!-- The old if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it thingy!!
I fully understand now--what was i thinking?
HMM? so along those lines IF you see a large (or small) flake of powder drop in the scale pan and the scale doesn't move does the flake of powder really weigh anything??-----:wizard:

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I use 4" PVC pipe to keep my dies organized in their Lock-n-load bushings
dies.jpeg

·
Registered
946 Posts
be careful with that new cabinet. made a great one using particle board and pretty much based on 4x8' sheets., 4x2'foot print, 2 6x2'doors, etc. have moved it through several rooms as the house has changed over the years. as last kid was permanently gone, a last move was to be to the now spare bedroom where i could work and be out of sight. half way through move, fiancee and i found ourselves trapped, one in each of the other 2 bedrooms and the cabinet wedged in the hall not quite into the spare bedroom door. And she was trapped in the bedroom with access to a bathroom(you old guys will understand). now lives in florida room, not usually air conditioned, but with a small dehumidifier running inside the cabinet to keep it dry.
I've shown this here before but this is my little portable/stowable reloading box. It's gone through several transformations. I've long since outgrown its usefulness and will be building myself a big cabinet in the near future.

I would love to upload some pictures but it seems the website is being goofy...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts