Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,149 Posts
Texas requires a 15 hour course, initially, then 3 hour updates every 4 years. Safety, concealed carry and penal codes on use of deadly force, and non-violent dispute resolution are covered and you are qualified on a range. I have no problem with it, but having to get a new picture and new finger prints EVERY TIME is a bit of a PITA. The course is 70 bucks I'd rather not spend, of course.

I wouldn't gripe if they made it easier to renew, but I think the course is a good thing for new licenses. I think you maybe should have to qualify each renewal and they should make the target a little more challenging. I've seen some amazingly poor shooters, air heads that had no business handling a gun, shoot the required 70 percent by the skin of their teeth. I think people like that are more at risk WITH a firearm than without. I'd like to see the scoring ring sizes cut in half on the Texas qualification target. That way, you'd HAVE to be able to shoot half way decent if you're going to get a license and, if you can shoot that well, you more than likely are quite good at safe firearms handling.

JMHO, though.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.