Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Should you tell the Police Your armed if pulled over?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't carry

• Depends on state law.

Should you tell the Police your armed if pulled over?

12K views 128 replies 55 participants last post by  bubblehead 
#1 ·
If you get pulled over, for anything, Should you tell the Police you are Armed?

#3 ·
Varies from state to state. Some require it some don't. As stated above Texas requires it. I'll notify anyway and get that issue out of the way. Better the policeman doesn't discover it on his own. I voted yes, but don't know about the freedom of information part of the option. :???:

#4 ·
i live in texas, but i wouldn't tell him outright. it might cause unnecessary harassment. if you get pulled over for a routine traffic stop just give him what he wants (license, proof of insurance). i should mention that i don't carry my gun in the glove compartment. i think that would be fine. what he doesn't know won't hurt him(speaking from an honest person pov). for some reason if he asks, or wants to search my vehicle i will let him know. i don't see anything wrong with this method.

#5 ·
If you have a Texas CHL, this is the requirement.

GC §411.205.

DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY.

(a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license. A person who fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by this subsection is subject to suspension of the person's license as provided by Section 411.187.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person fails or refuses to display the license and identification as required by Subsection (a) after previously having had the person's license suspended for a violation of that subsection. An offense under this subsection is a Class B misdemeanor.

If you have no CHL and only car carry, you have no duty to notify, then your method may work. :angel:

#6 ·
I agree with Smokewagon. If I were not armed, as a courtesy, I would produce my CHL along with my drivers license. When the officer runs you license number it automaticaly shows that you are a CHL holder. I would not want the officer to think that I was attempting to hide anything. This may cause the patrolman undue anxiety. It is just the polite thing to do.

#8 ·
I don't have my permit yet but entend to. In TN you don't have to inform LEO unless asked but it will show when they run your lic. So when I do get mine I will present it with my Drivers licence. That way the g word is not spoken and he can inform his back up if he has one,as they are nomally out of sight behind the pasanger door. And then follow his orders.

#10 ·
I say show him your piece when he shows up at the window....the only thing that will beat you to the hospital will be the ambulance headlights........ :p

#11 ·
As others have stated...it varies from state to state. Here in AZ, you are not required to disclose that information unless asked by the officer. It's always a good idea if pulled over to hand over your concealed weapons permit along with your driver license, registration, and proof of insurance. This way the officer will feel MUCH more comfortable with you.

#13 ·
I'd say that for a routine traffic stop that, unless the law requires it, it's really up in the air about whether or not I'd tell the officer I was armed. If I was asked for permission by the officer to search me or my vehicle, it would definitely be the next thing out of my mouth after, "Yes, sir," though. I guess handing over your CHL along with the rest of your information would be a good idea, too. Just coming out and saying that you're carrying might not be the best route.

#14 ·
In MO your chl is your drivers license after you go through the steps. You get your license renewed and it is printed large and red on your DL no choice but to show.

#16 ·
Yes that is correct in Texas you are required. However it is different from county to county on what is done after the traffic stop is over for example most police in Harris County ( where Houston is) will tell you to leave your weapon upholstered or unconcealed in you vehicle until the officer drives away. Now in Montgomery County the county just north of Harris the LEO will tell you to holster your weapon or put it were you normally keep it then drive away then the LEO leaves.

#18 ·
chad_rn said:
In MO your chl is your drivers license after you go through the steps. You get your license renewed and it is printed large and red on your DL no choice but to show.
Chad you are only partially correct. Yes, your endorsement can be on your drivers license. But, you can have your endorsement placed on a State ID card instead. The reasoning behind this is not to hide the info from LE, they will know of your endorsement when they run your DL. But, so that if you have to show your DL for check cashing (or some other purpose), the endorsement does not bring up a question from the person looking at your DL.

Jury is still out on whether to volunteer the info to a LEO if you are in a traffic stop (when it is not required by law). The NRA recommends that you let the officer know immediately. But, there have been in situations where officers have confiscated the firearm once told you had it. I guess it all depends on how well you know the officer. Personally I would probably tell them I am armed (including the location) and let the chips fall where they may. Then again, I don't plan on getting stopped <hee, hee :D>.

#19 ·
Luckily I haven't been stopped since I started keeping a gun in my vehicle which goes back to before I had my CCDW. If I were stopped I would hand him my CCDW permit along with my DL and let him decide what the next step is. The main thing I will be trying to avoid is hearing that second cop yell "GUN!!"

#22 ·
Some officers, upon the stop, will ask if they may temporarily remove the firearm from your person for the safety of you both. This is not uncommon. It's not called confiscation and as soon as the stop is over your firearm will be returned to you.

Remember, just because you have a concealed weapons permit doesn't mean you are an angel. The officer doesn't know you and doesn't know your mental state at the time of the stop. I've done this before with no hard feelings afterwards from the gun owner.

#23 ·
amen to that sir, NYPD, I would never want a leo with a gun uncomfortable around me. He probably would be quicker, standing up, than I am in a car seat. I hope I never find out, what happens on a stop locally. I have been trying to be a good boy!!

Now that my permit is finally here, I am gonna try even harder not to speed, no rolling stops, and no drive bys of the local hot dog stand.

#24 ·
NYPD in AZ said:
Some officers, upon the stop, will ask if they may temporarily remove the firearm from your person for the safety of you both. This is not uncommon. It's not called confiscation and as soon as the stop is over your firearm will be returned to you.

Remember, just because you have a concealed weapons permit doesn't mean you are an angel. The officer doesn't know you and doesn't know your mental state at the time of the stop. I've done this before with no hard feelings afterwards from the gun owner.
Totally in agreement. In fact, the Texas General Code covers this explicitly.

#26 ·
I've been pulled over in my state of South Carolina where it is required only if you are requested your DL and it is obvious you have done something wrong. I always produce my DL and my CWP and tell them where on my person my weapon is, that it is loaded and I ask them if they would like to have possesion of it during the duration of the stop. I also put both of my hands out of the window, just to put the officer at ease during the stop. I have a feeling this actually got me a warning once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.