Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was offered a Taurus 65 in .357 for my unfired SAR B6 and I'm torn. First things first, heres a link to my handgun.

SAR B6P Semi Auto Pistol- Sarsilmaz | EAA Corporation/ USSG

I haven't fired a single round out of it yet.

Now the things that I am torn about is the capacity mainly. I know that I wont be using 17 rounds against an intruder, but i'd feel safer with 17 rounds over 6. Also I am questioning if it is a even trade or not. New, I see Taurus 65's going for $350, which is about what i paid for mine, and his is used. Though he is offering 100 rounds of .38 and .357 ammo, but im going to have to put up 150 rounds on my end as well.

I'm not worried too much about ammo cost, since I only go out at most 3 times a year shooting. Now i know some of you are going to say "why do you even want it then". Well, I'm kind of worried of the stopping power of 9mm when its winter here in Wisconsin, with people in multiple layers of clothing, and well, I do have to out do my brother powerwise, don't I? :)

Anyways, can some of you fine folks give me a decent value on this revolver? Would you guys do the trade? Oh, and here is a pic of the wheel gun.

·
Banned
5,820 Posts
With the climate of things to come, I would keep your pistol and if you have to have a revolver buy a used one.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
My 2 cents. NO!
Buy another magazine for it, first. Have a minimum of three. This from a confirmed revolver guy. With the buying frenzy going on, revolvers are being overlooked and thus their bidding prices at the auction sites don't seem to be too bad...yet. Keep the "normal" capacity semi, and get a revolver, too.
Bad guys no longer come one at a time. They come in packs. You may need more than a quick six shots, especially if you miss while in a struggle or pooping your pants. lol
P.S. Another consideration. I read several years ago in an article by Massad Ayoob that a longer barrelled weapon is easier for an adversary to deflect or even take at close range because he may be more able to grab the barrel. He'll have more leverage on a longer barrel. If you use a handgun, a bbl of 4 inches or less is better. This may be why so many people like 3 inch barrelled revolvers for nightstand weapons.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, It just got a bit more interesting. I got offered a 5 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk, with 200 reloaded rounds and 50 factory rounds. 44 Mag, and a nice looking gun, even if it is single action.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take the Blackhawk and run. I just picked up an EAA Tanfoglio which looks just darn near your SAR and paid $319.99 plus tax OTD. The ban ain't in place you can always pick another up.

Mines imported by EAA, and it cost less than your gun :) I'm going to cash in on this whole gun law fiasco. I'll probably take that deal if the guy responds back to my email.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
If you're after opinions, I'm with jonrjen. Cheapest BHawk that Bud's gun shop is selling costs way more than your 9mm. I've had a BHAwk in 44 mag (10-in barrel) since the 80's, and they are strong and durable. 44 mag is a bit much for an HD weapon, but 44 specials are not.

As your ONLY HD weapon, a SA 6-shot may be limited, but if the BHawk is in good condition, you're already ahead financially. Even now, with the rush, you can pick up a lesser-priced 9mm so you have more firepower if and when you need it. Using Bud's as a reference, you can still pick up a Taurus 709 or 809 for less than $400, and a PT-92 for less than $500. All, IMHO, excellent and reliable pieces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.