Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got some pics. Its a shame because I really love this gun. Its not devastating but it does hurt the ego a bit. Here are the pics of the damage. Notice the damage to the star and the chip toward the top left of the cylinder. In the second pic theres like a dug out line in the metal.
Thanks

·
Administrator
35,629 Posts
GOOD GRIEF - what brand of ammo do you use, or are you using reloads? Did you notice the damage after firing 45 LC or 410 shot?

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Well Sir! Looking at your pictures, I got my JUDGE out and tried to compare. I am not seeing near the wear your showing on the Ejector star area. I have pretty close to the same amount of rounds thru it maybe a little more.

I do see some marking from the advancement connecting to the star, on mine but not the rough edges, and obvious wear. from what ever source.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have maybe 250 rounds of long colt and maaaaaybe 12 410 shots. I barely have any rounds through it. I noticed these markings when I bought it but I figured thats what warranty is for. The ammos are not reloads. I use Remingtons for the most part and I've shot a few Factory new from Georgia Arms. No Reloads have been used. Oh and I havent really cleaned it in a while.

·
15,931 Posts
I have done cowboy loads, maybe 350, some Blazer aluminum, and brass, and some I had bought from Collins Cartridge in Texas. At least a box of 410's (of course that is only 25). So I guess I am over 500 by now.

·
Administrator
35,629 Posts
But it almost looks like something corrosive has eaten up the cylinder star.....that is bizarre.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I'd definitely send it back. I've never had to return a firearm to Taurus (and I've owned many of their products) so I can't speak as to the turnaround time although some here have stated, IIRC, 6 to 8 weeks on average.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know its not major, but it hurts to look at. Its my favorite gun to shoot. (Mainly cause its the only gun I can aim really good with for some reason.lol) Like I said the star had a line through one of the pieces but its definately getting worse. I know its nothing bad but it does hurt my pride and belief in this brand. Its honestly one of the reasons I went another route with my recent purchase.

·
15,931 Posts
Sir, I know how you feel. I got to where I was shooting mostly a ragged hole with my JUDGE, if I did my part. They are fun to shoot.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
My guess would be that the gun came like that new.

The scratch in the second pic is normal IMO it's just from closing the cylinger. But the Cylinder ratchets damage is unlikely to come from firing (cylinder rotations)only 250 rounds (if you said 25,000 that would make more sense). Or did you dryfire it that many times? Looks like poorly machined part to me. Might be considered more of the cosmetic flaw (I take it the gun works fine), but I'd call Taurus and talk to them, they cover cosmetic damage for a year.

·
Registered
959 Posts
This is My Judge Cylinder with a little over 900 Rounds down the Tube... Mine kinda still looks like new... All that Nickle in the Stainless makes it extra Tuff...
Yes you should send your's in to be FIXED... It must be a Bad Heat Treat Job... Its Soft, and not Tempered Properly...

Pic of Cylinder loaded up with~two Winchester .45 Colt SilverTips~one Winchester.410 OOO BuckShot~one Winchester .410 #4 Shot~one Winchester .410 #6 Shot (for Snakes)

·
Administrator
40,380 Posts
Cool business card. :thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
. It must be a Bad Heat Treat Job... Its Soft, and not Tempered Properly...

First of all, I agree with you.

What bothers me about situations like this is that these guns are made on an assembly line. I assume the heat treating is done assembly line style also. So how do you suppose one part dosen't get properly treated, but the rest do?

·
Registered
959 Posts
brian10x,... Heat Treating of parts like this are done in Batch Runs... So I would say there are a Bunch of not to Spec Star Parts in Judge's out there... Bummer...<:-(( Thats why Taurus gives Life Time Warranty's to cover there A$$'s... YUP...<:))

·
Registered
8 Posts
bugs said:
Well I finally got some pics. Its a shame because I really love this gun. Its not devastating but it does hurt the ego a bit. Here are the pics of the damage. Notice the damage to the star and the chip toward the top left of the cylinder. In the second pic theres like a dug out line in the metal.
Thanks
I guess these pics are no longer stored there? I would be curious what you are referring to so I can see if my Judge has anything similar.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here you go

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And the other one

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got it back today. They did do some work but I'm not very happy with what they did. I will post pics tomorrow. It seems that they only did work on the extractor and did nothing with the metal issue on the star in the middle.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
my dad still hasnt gotten his back and its been there since june. He finally got thru to someone who knew what was wrong with his gun and they told him since it was a cabelas special, they have to wait for them to be made again before anything can be replaced or fixed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts