Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what I wanna do is have a gunsmith grind down the top edge of the feed ramp a little so it transitions more smoothly into the barrel to stop these hideous ftf's. I love this gun and it's my daily carry, but I'm sick to death of the 2 rounds that don't feed toward the end of my 100 round range trips.

What I want to know is:
Is there any reason I would want to think twice about having this done, or is there any possible justification for why Taurus hasn't already done this to remedy the many reports of ftf's and service requests?

PS: the ftf's are not a result of bad mags (mine are new as of a couple months ago), and it isn't that my wrists get tired after 75 rounds or so. If I break it down and grease up after the 100 rounds, another 75 or so go through flawlessly, and limp-wristing on purpose reproduces the problem. I use militec oil with extra blobs of tetragun on the rails (I recommend it, smooth as silk!)... Strangely, I've never had the ftf with federal hydrashoks, but who can afford to take 100 of those to the range?!

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've got a couple of questions for you so we can try and help you figure out whats going on here. I don't recommend taking power tools to firearms.
What model/caliber of pistol is this?
What type of ammo are you using?

Steelheart

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.40sw, pro version, it's 5 months and about 600 rounds old. And the idea is of course to have an expert do this. It seems like the obvious solution as I examine the position of a stuck cartridge. The nose just gets caught on that not-so-graceful edge. I could see where a steeper angle on the mag's mouth or a tighter recoil spring might help, but it seems like my ftf-free guns have much curvier feed ramp to chamber transitions.

·
Registered
325 Posts
id run it by a gunsmith bro. my smith actually works at the gun range.( dont know if thats odd, or they all work at ranges) regardless, i thought i had an issue, ended up being one of my mags.(number your mags always to weed out any problems) the point being, if the smith is at the gunrange he could put some ammo thru it and probably narrow the problem down to the exact cause and then give you your options. i dont have a ton of exp. shooting my gun, fair amount but not alot. its nice to go to my range with what i think is a serious problem, only to have some smith with 25+ years of exp tell me its a minor problem after only 12 rounds. it seems no matter how much someone thinks they know about something(me), theres always a dude around the corner who knows just a tad more. let me know if any of this helps buddy. sorry for the long drawn out stuff. good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i never thought about shaping the feed ramp. i think it's a great idea, given you cleared it w/a gunsmith. i guess the question to ask is "is the thickness of the metal of the feed ramp a specific measure for any particular reason?" if it's only a weak link to the longevity of the firearm then....i say go for it....and it probably wouldn't take much to make a difference. better to err on the side of caution.
i'd also give some thought to keeping the surface area of the feed-ramp uniform. i don't imagine a rough spot being at all helpful.

please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it'll be awhile before I can look into this any further because I just sold a couple guns, so the Taurus is now my only carry piece until my Walther PPS arrives (I can't friggin wait). I might actually pick up a compact S&W M&P in the meantime. I examined one at length yesterday at a show in Minneapolis and it looks like some very exciting advancements in design. In fact, if you have the opportunity to check one out, pay attention to the feel of the grip as you rack the slide (low-profile!), and my fav part, the minimal frame rails... but I digress.

I recently read about kB's, which, if you're like me and hadn't heard of it, is when a Glock explodes. Now, that's Glocks, a pistol that was designed for 9mm and poorly adapted to higher pressure cartridges. Also, this apparently happens when one shoots +P+ or reloads. The link below does show some interesting information about possible case breaches when the chamber is even slightly unsupportive to the cartridge.
(specifically the pictures for questions 4 and 6)
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Given this, I can see where Taurus wanted to retain as much surface area of straight shell-covering chamber as possible. Unfortunately it's starting to look like the problem's best cure would be at the drawing board, to move the chamber forward a bit, away from the magazine so the feed ramp wouldn't have to be so steep. I dunno, I'm just some dude, what do I know, ha!

Again, when it isn't my only carry piece, I'll be ready to take it to a smith and get a professional opinion... and I'll update then :)

Thanks much for the input thusfar!

·
Administrator
35,526 Posts
I'm wondering why your counter shows '0' - you've done 2 or 3 posts just in this thread....

I've never heard of an issue with the 40 cal 24/7 Pro - maybe I've just missed t.he threads, but I can't recall any, ever. The 45acp had some issues.....and most people have issues with it feeding an odd shape hollowpoint, not hardball or FMJ.

I'd have a good gunsmith give it a go-over before I decided to do anything about it. You never know - it might be something that Taurus can fix, if there is indeed something wrong.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Everyone lets go to Flyers virtual desk and see what is up with this 0 thing for him. He must have the virtual manual there somewhere to check on this. I know, Guardian has done at least 3 posts that show on his membership.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
I'm wondering why your counter shows '0' - you've done 2 or 3 posts just in this thread....

I've never heard of an issue with the 40 cal 24/7 Pro - maybe I've just missed t.he threads, but I can't recall any, ever. The 45acp had some issues.....and most people have issues with it feeding an odd shape hollowpoint, not hardball or FMJ.

I'd have a good gunsmith give it a go-over before I decided to do anything about it. You never know - it might be something that Taurus can fix, if there is indeed something wrong.
man i would send it to taurus before you do any grinding.i have 2 24/7 and have no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If a tree falls in a forrest and there's nobody there to hear it, will the server show that I posted any messages? LOL

Just to quickly explain...

I haven't hardly seen any testimony on the internets from people having issues with 24/7's, which is one of the reasons I got one. The reason I assume there might be a QC problem is the firearm retailers around here have a significant amount of mil-pros and 24/7's (mostly mil-pros, but some of all calibers for each) being brought back, in need of service.
(Gander Mountain, Sportsman's Warehouse, Bill's Gun Shop, Cabela's)

The balancing point is that there have been several sales in the past few months on Tauruses, especially on the pink mil-pros. So the arguement could be made that because of the type of gun it is, there are a high number of buyers who have never owned, that are ignorant of the fact that there's a break-in period for just about any ballistic device.

Pink guns. And God bless 'em for pushing to that market, by the time my girlfriend is my wife, I hope to have her carrying one. But realistically I would think a lack of knowledge about the device would be more likely with buyers of that particular model.

So seeing these units being sent back, I've been reluctant to ship mine, for fear it would take a while to get back. I really love this pistol, it's my fav carry piece and I'd hate to be without it for a couple weeks over an issue that never presents except after like 80 rounds...

Of course, since I started this thread, I've changed my mind about forking around with the feed ramp. I'd almost rather have someone experiment with the angle of the magazine's mouth, or ordering a stronger recoil spring (if that's possible).

·
Administrator
35,526 Posts
Man, that zero thing is freaking me out - it's like you've got a big mole on the end of your nose and I'm transfixed by it. Are you posting through your cell phone or something like that? I'm not getting why you aren't racking up numbers........

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
rwcreigh said:
man i would send it to taurus before you do any grinding.
+1. You may also risk voiding the gun's lifetime warranty. Not worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
There are some sections of the forum where posts don't count toward a person's Post Total. This happens to be one of them. For an explanation I'll refer you to Flyer.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Steelheart said:
There are some sections of the forum where posts don't count toward a person's Post Total. This happens to be one of them. For an explanation I'll refer you to Flyer.

Steelheart
Kind of like a postcount wormhole?

Woa. Looks like everyone's post count doesn't increase.

·
Administrator
35,526 Posts
Oh - now I feel sheeeeepish..... :rolleyes:

I think the recoil spring is wiser than messing with the feed ramp - it's easier to undo the spring if you start getting excessive FTF's.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
One mod I often do on my autos is a feed ramp and chamber mouth polish. I use a soft bullet shaped polishing head on my dremel with a small dab of polishing paste. This puts a mirror finish on the feed ramp and chamber mouth. It should not remove significant metal or change any angles, but it does reduce friction between the round and barrel. It is important to keep the polishing head moving to polish evenly and not remove metal from any one spot. Replace the polishing head after it becomes black and before it becomes hardened. Clean the barrel thoroughly to remove all residue. Do not use a hard grinding head; that will ruin your barrel in less than 1 second.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, so I met with a smith far sooner than I expected to because when I met the man, I didn't have any idea what his profession was! So we're gonna take a close look at the angle of feed from the mags and see if we can play with that (but only after a thorough cleaning out of said mags and a test of recoil spring strength). We're definitely not gonna mess with the barrel, which he noticed was the tiniest bit more roomy than it needs to be.

Additionally, we might end up sizing down that front sight after some placement tests so I'm no longer blocking the view of the thing I wanna put a hole in. And that has baffled me since day 1. Mr. Heine might be a psychic, but when my front sight takes up an entire human head worth of viewing space, I get less confident about my shot placement. At any rate, the sight mod will be less spendy than brand new ones, so it works out.

So that was a conversation from his home, so we'll see what a trip to his shop does...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I should also add that what can appear to be a feed ramp problem, can sometimes be an extractor problem. As the nose of the round is angling up from the feed ramp to the chamber, the back end of the round is camming up to the breech face with the rim sliding under the extractor claw. If the claw has too much tension, a burr, or bad surface angle, it could cause feed hesitation. I check this with a field stripped bare slide and a casing.

Also, if the magazine lips release the round too early, the rim of the round can jump in front of the extractor and cause a jam.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts