Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw a used Remington model 74 Sportsman autoloading 30-06 for $350 at my LGS the other day. Includes an average scope already mounted. It has unexpectedly stayed on my mind since then. I currently don't own a medium-to-high powered rifle right now, in case of TEOTWAWKI scenario. Comments and experiences, pro & con?

Stock photo used to avoid the inevitable "worthless-without-pics" smileys.

(Update: I'll confess to a mental deficiency. I completely forgot that I own a Marlin 336 in 30-30. I guess I'm too preoccupied with that turkey dinner this afternoon.)

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
It's that whole gut thing again. Your mind is trying to tell you something.

I'd buy it. Good caliber, can use it for pretty close and far off shots .

That it's a semi is pretty nice too.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I bought the Remington model 742 Wood Master Deluxe 30-06, semi-automatic in 1966 and it has been an outstanding rifle. If I was looking for another one or the first one, I would buy that one in a heart beat. :thumb::thumb:

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
18,588 Posts
I really have no need or much use for another hi-po but I prob'ly woulda' scarfed that baby right up. It looks like a nice rifle and that sounds like a real good price.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
24,546 Posts
I would not hesitate.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Worse case scenario: Sometime down the road, you decide you do not want it any more, you can sell it to fund another gun purchase or you might end up trading for a different gun that you have no doubt that you really want.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
My grandfather has a Woodmaster deluxe in 30-06. My father calls it the Crippler because my grandfather shot himself in the calf with it. I've taken a few deer with it. Good rifle.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
The only HPR I own currently, if you can call it that, is my Enfield .303. Never used it for anything but target shooting, dont even think it would be legal for hunting. I might consider getting a high powered shooter like the OP in the future.

·
22,061 Posts
Get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it git et get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it!

All right, let's provide more substantial input; it looks really good and I've never seen one in a store with the muzzle pointed toward Orion, so that one's special.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Did you think anyone would try and talk you out of it?

·
Super Moderator
13,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it git et get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it get it!

All right, let's provide more substantial input; it looks really good and I've never seen one in a store with the muzzle pointed toward Orion, so that one's special.
Yeah, you just want me to get it so you can shoot it at our next shooting meet.

·
Super Moderator
13,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you think anyone would try and talk you out of it?
If there were any problems I didn't know about, then yeah. We goof around and kid and give each other a hard time, but we're honest and frank when it comes to asking advice on just about everything. We're family.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
If there were any problems I didn't know about, then yeah. We goof around and kid and give each other a hard time, but we're honest and frank when it comes to asking advice on just about everything. We're family.
My friend has one, that he has used to take several deer. His son will use it when he is old enough. He could not help with the vale, because it was a gift from his grandfather.

·
Administrator
17,694 Posts
Great Caliber in a good Rifle! Very Good for Hunting! Buy it!

You know you want it! :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
The price is right. They are very nicely finished rifles. I would probably buy it. Just a few things I have found.

I ave owned 3 in that caliber only. One worked perfectly fine. One I got froma d friend that had to send his gun back to the factory. He had problems with the action short stroking. It was some sorta gas valve problem. It was fixed and I bought it. I had no problems with it. The 3rd I bought used. That one would work as long as I put a light film of case lube on the cases before firing them. If they were dry, it would not fully extract or eject.

I also experienced some "wandering" of rounds if the barrels heat up enough. As long as I fired 1 or 2 rounds, the accuracy was good. Then I would have to allow the rifle too cool to keep a group going. If the barrel heater up too much on them, the rounds would wander. Similar experiences with the Mini-14s. The same thing can happern with bolt actions, but people have a tendency to try and fire quick groups with the guns cause they are semi.

Another thing to consider if you will be spending that much is the current Remington 700 package gun at Wally World. These are not the El Cheapo 770s, but the 700s with a scope from Remingtion. Looked at a couple the other day and they were 377+ for the package in most calibers. Of course it ain't as pretty with a black poly stock and black finish, but I hunt with that one and leave the Walnut and blue ADL and BDL at home so they don't get scratched.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I don't know where you live, or what your lifestyle is like, but that is a fine rifle and at that price, Heck-Fire Yea!!!! Do you ever deer hunt? I ask, because you already have one fine deer rifle. I am waiting for sun-up, to hit the woods this morning. It is a addictive thing to take up, if you don't allready hunt. Should you buy it??? If I new where it was it would already be gone. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts