Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
My collector in me wants to get a 45-70, I think the Marlin is a sexy gun, but then I get to thinking. Wouldn't a slug from a 12 gauge be just as good? I know the range on the 45-70 isn't fantastic, and that it has more penetration, but from a only in the USA point of view, is there anything a 45-70 can take that a slug can't? I need justification to buy the rifle, and the ammo, which cost a decent amount more than slugs.
The .45-70 has been shot at long range for over a century and is still capable of being shot at long range today. Yes, the velocity is low in comparison to modern rifle cartridges but that doesn't mean that it can't reach out and touch. Yes, the trajectory looks like a rainbow when it is graphed, but it is a consistent rainbow, so adjustments can be made to match up point of aim with point of impact at extreme ranges.

The .45-70, if properly applied, can take pretty much anything that walks on the face of the Earth. When you hit something with 405gr of lead going that fast, you tend to make a lasting impression.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
As to recoil depends on the gun and load. A light 45/70 with a heavy load can have a healthy recoil but so can a light 12 with a heavy load. I shoot a 45/70 in a single shot Contender handgun and BFR single action revolver. The revolver with heavy 465 and 500 grain bullet loads. The BFR was around years before the 500 Smith. So if you can handle the recoil of a 12 gauge the 45/70 should be easy with factory stuff. For the hand loaders there are loads from very mild to wild. Some of us played with a round ball load that is extremely mild yet hits steel with a whack. The round in lever action or single shot is fun.

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
Not much else to say which hasn't already been said. I will add to the recoil comments = yep they are a thumper! I can shoot 12G for hours comfortably - can only manage 2-3 shots outta the 45/70 before taking a walk about to relocate the shoulder.

As mentioned, not much on the planet they won't take. I would bet they could have given the dinosaurs fits too!

And the LeveRevolution ammo has revitalized the interest in shooting spired ammo out of tubular magazine long guns. . . .

Reactions: jjolin01

·
Registered
27,567 Posts
I hear you there. I have been window shopping online, if that's a thing, for a 45-70 for a long time, then I went to Cabelas the other day and they had a marlin stainless 45-70 in a gray stock and a decent powered scope on it, for $689. Looked like it was barely used. Made me want one even more.
That sounds exactly like a rig I had before I was attacked by a band of fingerless monkeys (Do NOT ask about their manner of attack!!!) who stole all my guns.
It was a great rig and a great woods gun. It's also a lot easier to carry and to handle than a 12 gauge.
One thing. Don't try the Hornady LeverRevolution ammo until you check to see if the gun has the upgraded follower. All the new guns do, but I don't recall when the transition was made.
The new ones (with a little divot) are red, the old ones orange. It's a simple and cheap fix, don't let it scare you off.

·
Registered
360 Posts
They don't have that much recoil, I have a 45/70 pistol that I shoot 405 grain bricks out of all the time.... Maybe I'm just a recoil junky :D

Army of one

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
You know better than to ask here. ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Do you have a wife? If you don't, buy it. If you do, buy it and think of why you needed it on the way home.

Reactions: bcteck5

·
Registered
91 Posts
4570 only if you live nearest out tree you can lean against when you shoot it LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
.45-70's nothing. Wait until you pop a cap on a 12 gauge slug!

·
Registered
19,182 Posts
The rules of gun ownership are simple...;)...if it's a gun that you don't already have, then it's a gun you need.

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts
The rules of gun ownership are simple...;)...if it's a gun that you don't already have, then it's a gun you need.
Yeah, that must be the reason that I want one!

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
I knew this was a zombie thread when it started talking about H&R as if it were still around. :D
Holy Lazarus, this thread is almost old enough to drink!

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Reactions: olfarhors
21 - 38 of 38 Posts