Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My collector in me wants to get a 45-70, I think the Marlin is a sexy gun, but then I get to thinking. Wouldn't a slug from a 12 gauge be just as good? I know the range on the 45-70 isn't fantastic, and that it has more penetration, but from a only in the USA point of view, is there anything a 45-70 can take that a slug can't? I need justification to buy the rifle, and the ammo, which cost a decent amount more than slugs.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
H&R makes a single shot 45-70 that looks like a great gun at a cheap price(around $250). I don't own A 45-70 yet but it is a popular deer rifle here in Mississippi because it is a good brush gun and it does have better range than a shotgun. One will probably be my next purchase. You can't own too many.

·
Registered
21,118 Posts
45-70 has better range than a sabot-ted shot gun slug and I like a good lever action over a pump or semi auto shotgun.

Reactions: Harry and jjolin01

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
45-70 has better range than a sabot-ted shot gun slug and I like a good lever action over a pump or semi auto shotgun.
I hear you there. I have been window shopping online, if that's a thing, for a 45-70 for a long time, then I went to Cabelas the other day and they had a marlin stainless 45-70 in a gray stock and a decent powered scope on it, for $689. Looked like it was barely used. Made me want one even more.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Yes, now wasn't that easy?

·
Registered
21,118 Posts
Reactions: jjolin01

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Honestly? If you really "needed" it, would you even have to ask? Probably not. Much like that Walther 22, I have my eye on. Oh wait a minute. No, you really need that rifle. LOL ;)

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Yeah, you need it. ;) Just on general principles.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not one person trying to talk me out of getting it, might go back up to Cabelas this weekend and slap that sucker on lay away :p Merry Christmas everyone!

·
Super Moderator
13,908 Posts
This thread has my interest, too. For those of you who know, how does the recoil of a 45-70 compare with a 12 gauge firing slugs?

·
Registered
24,804 Posts
Yeah, you need that gun.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I want the single shot H&R because I want to cast that giant Lee pointed .45-70 bullet. A lever would be nice but you can't seat the bullet out or the elevator won't pick it up. And I don't think my shoulder could run a mag full of .45-70's anyways.

·
Registered
912 Posts
.... And I don't think my shoulder could run a mag full of .45-70's anyways.
I shoot an M44 (carbine Mosin Nagant 91/30) all day long and love it. Frankly my friends 45-70 lever action hurt my shoulder. There is a cool factor but, Damn, the round has a thump to it.

It's like a 50 cal black power, just not my style. Though I respect those who's it is.

B2

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
To the OP: listen to the collector in you when practical. One of my customers sold me his 45-70 Marlin years ago and I still have it. I'm not even a hunter, and my somewhat marginal arthritic shoulder prefers a lighter recoil, but when I get it out and think about selling it, I decide against it. I just like it too much. It's my only lever action.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Get it. I have the NEF 45/70 rifle and it is fun to shoot.
ROSSI, I too have bad shoulders and recoil hurts. I load my 45/70 with 15 grains of Unique behind a 350 grain plated bullet and the recoil is the same as a bolt action 223 rifle.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
Are you at all surprised ? We are all addicts here.

If we can't satisfy our own cravings with a purchase, we will relish in your purchase, but we will need pics.

One can't drool at words alone.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I have very strict criteria I always comply with when I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a gun:

1. Do I have anything in that caliber? If no = buy the gun.

2. If I have something in that caliber, is it in that action type? If no = buy the gun.

3. If I have something in that caliber and action type, is it in that configuration? If no = buy the gun.

4. If I have something in that caliber, action type, and configuration, is it in that barrel length? If no = buy the gun.

5. If I have something in that caliber, action type, configuration and barrel length, does it have the same finish? If no = buy the gun.

6. Do I have something with that same grip angle or safety configuration? If no = buy the gun.

If a gun I'm looking at doesn't meet the rigorous criteria, I pass on it without hesitation.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Get it. I have the NEF 45/70 rifle and it is fun to shoot.
ROSSI, I too have bad shoulders and recoil hurts. I load my 45/70 with 15 grains of Unique behind a 350 grain plated bullet and the recoil is the same as a bolt action 223 rifle.

Thanks for the loading advice, jeeper1, I'll pass that on to DH - who loves his 45-70's. After shooting one of his (don't know what it was, yeah, I know I'll find out and post a picture) I have to admit it was cool! It "thumped" but didn't hurt!

So if you don't have one, you need one! ;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
My collector in me wants to get a 45-70, I think the Marlin is a sexy gun, but then I get to thinking. Wouldn't a slug from a 12 gauge be just as good? I know the range on the 45-70 isn't fantastic, and that it has more penetration, but from a only in the USA point of view, is there anything a 45-70 can take that a slug can't? I need justification to buy the rifle, and the ammo, which cost a decent amount more than slugs.
I think you answered your own question here. If you are buying to collect....what difference does it make?

·
Administrator
35,530 Posts
I get the impression that a 45-70 has recoil that is more substantial than a 12 gauge slug. A guy I went shooting with a couple of months back told me he shot one and he thought the gun was going to dislocate his shoulder......big guy too. Maybe he just didn't expect that much recoil from that particular gun, who knows......either way, I want one, mostly to shoot and reload for, but also because it's part of our heritage and something inside me says I should own one. :D I need to get a SA revolver first though, then I'll be in the market.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts