Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a "Beretta" style Taurus semi-auto handgun. It's a .40 S&W, so it's either a PT100 or a PT101. I've seen it before, very good condition. I just can't remember which model it is. He says he's put 75 rounds through it, and told me it could be mine for $375. What do you guys think?

EDIT: He paid $500 for it brand new, I was with him when he put it in lay-a-way.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I'd go for it. The best price I've seen for them on the net (in blue) is a little under $400. By the time you add the shipping/insurance, and FFL fee, it'll be at least another $50.
PT-100 is "fixed" sight, PT-101 is adjustable sight, but I bet you knew that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the 9MM version, the PT92 and that is the 1st handgun I ever bought, over 10K rounds through it so far and it's still one of my range favorites. I'd buy it.

·
Administrator
17,813 Posts
The PT100/101 is easily one of the best .40's on the market today! Were I in the market for a .40, that would be the one! Buy it!!

But then, one has to ask, Why in the world is he selling it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a PT92 in 9mm for my oldests sons 21 Birthday (I paid for it, in his name)
cost me $490.00 new with 2 mags.
here is a pic.

he loves it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Gander Mountain had a few 2 weeks ago for $399.00NIB in blue or stainless. I believe that was the normal price.

·
Registered
123 Posts
doncameron said:
I bought a PT92 in 9mm for my oldests sons 21 Birthday (I paid for it, in his name)
cost me $490.00 new with 2 mags.
here is a pic.

he loves it.
That is a sweet lookin gun. My wife was talking about getting one of those instead of a 24/7 for her 9mm. Is that a thumb safety or a a decocker on the back?

·
32,530 Posts
That is both the safety and decocker in one.

One pushes all the way down on it and it drops the hammer safely. There's a spring that brings the lever back to safe position after pushing all the way down and it has been released.

As with anything mechanical, it is prudent to make sure the lever comes all the way back to the position it is supposed to be in.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Don't forget. That safety/ de-cocker also allows for "condition one" carry. That was an importantant feature for me when I chose mine. I intend to get a 1911 one of these days.
I believe the Taurus 92 series is the only one that has that feature on a DA/ SA.

·
Registered
123 Posts
drummin_man627 said:
Don't forget. That safety/ de-cocker also allows for "condition one" carry. That was an importantant feature for me when I chose mine. I intend to get a 1911 one of these days.
I believe the Taurus 92 series is the only one that has that feature on a DA/ SA.
what other models does taurus have that have these same features, exposed hammer, safety and decocker? Doesn't the 101 have a similar design? What about features? There's a gun show this weekend and i'm thinking about trading mine off for a 92ish model.

·
Administrator
17,813 Posts
drummin_man627 said:
Not exactly. All of the PT100/101 and PT900 series pistols operate this way. It is also presumed at this time that the new PT800 series pistols will also.

LedJedi, As for the PT92, I can say that after some 22,000 rounds thru my PT92, with more on the way, it's a real workhorse of a pistol. Accurate and very Reliable! It's only real maintenance issue is the locking block which should be replaced at approximately 5000 round intervals.

The PT92 is a large pistol by todays standards, so make sure that it fits your wifes hand.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been thinking about it a lot over the last few days and i'm at a bit of a moral dilemma.

I've come to the conclusion that my .45 24/7 Pro is one of the bugged models that is having a hard time feeding reliably. I've tried six brands / configs of ammo so far and nothing is really all that reliable. I do wholeheartedly believe in the 24/7 Pro model, but sometimes this stuff just works out this way.

Here's the issue: It seems that this problem is inherent in the gun design from what I can tell. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is but lately i've been thinking that it looks like the feed ramp maybe should be a few degrees more shallow or a modification of the angle the clips deliver the .45 ammo would be in order. If i have a gunsmith make either adjustment it looks like it would void the warranty (right?) which i dont want.

so the alternatives are to send it in to taurus. If it's a flaw in the design for this calibur there's not much they can do in my mind (right?)

or i can sell it, but that puts me putting a lemon on the market for someone else to be in my situation. That's not a desirable outcome either.

Suggestions? I'm not ready to give up and i have a few more tricks i want to try, but i'm only one or two steps away from being 100% in this situation.

I should also note that I just called Taurus to ask if they had any input/insight into the problem. The CSR I talked to said she's never heard of the .45 having this issue which I find a bit odd. I thought it was a pretty well known problem (found out after i bought it) and that I would have to send it in for repair. That's a bit odd. When I asked how long it would take to get it repaired and returned she said 5-6 weeks which I also find a bit odd. Most of the experiences logged on this forum reflects several months of time for a warranty repair. Hmmmm

·
Administrator
17,813 Posts
OK, this thread is starting to drift now from it's original theme. Further discussion of your PT24/7 Pro should probably go back to your original post on your Problems with it.

I still think you may be having a Magazine problem with your 24/7 Pro Pistol, but my experience with this particular Taurus Model is limited at this time. Taurus did have magazine problems (weak springs) with some of the early .45 PT24/7's. Yours could be one of them. If not a Magazine Problem, have a look at the extractor area. It may need to be cleaned.

Another thing you might do is seek the advice of a local gunsmith, familiar with the design. Don't know the shop you bought it from. The problem with some Gunshops is that all they want to do is $ell you yet another gun, rather than fix your problem.

My experience with other Double Stack .45 Magazined Pistols (Para Ordnance P14, EAA Witness) has shown me that they can be a bit tempermental at times and are very dependant on having good Magazine Springs in them. However, their problems are usually not insurmountable. The EAA .45 is still one of my all time Favorite .45's and I've trusted my life to one, on occasion. The 24/7 Pro .45 is still on my shopping list.

·
Registered
73 Posts
LedJedi said:
nice, nice,

anyone have any experience they'd like to share about the 92? Looking at picking one up soon.
I absolutely LOVE my PT99 (92 but with an adjustable sight). I've had it since the 80's and have put 5,000 rounds thru it. Originally didn't use it much, but in the past couple years I've shot the heck out of it. Most reliable gun I own. Very accurate as well.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
O.K., O.K. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The Taurus PT 92 series includes all those listed by jwc007. I'm not sure about the 800 series, but I believe, and hope those will have the same manual of arms, too. But Taurus is the only manufacturer that offers this feature.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
drummin_man627 said:
O.K., O.K. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The Taurus PT 92 series includes all those listed by jwc007. I'm not sure about the 800 series, but I believe, and hope those will have the same manual of arms, too. But Taurus is the only manufacturer that offers this feature.
Most Sig Sauers are DA/SA with a de-cocker.

www.sigarms.com

1 - 20 of 29 Posts