Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about buying a Judge since they came out. Would like to hear opinions on why you bought one and how you like them.
Thanks
dave29

·
Registered
251 Posts
Interested in people's opinions too. We got a poly frame in at work today and it's got my curiosity spiked

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Wanting one is good enough reason to buy.

As hot a sales item as they are, you won 't have any trouble getting your money back if you buy it and don't like it.

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
If you have the itch, scratch it. You either will love it or not be overly impressed. Since you've had the itch a while, I'm sure you will be overly impressed.

Reactions: Nomad

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I enjoy mine, I fool around with it at the range and I think it is great as a home defense weapon.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had the itch. I bought 2. One is the 3" & 3" barrel, the other is a public defender in polymer. I plan on put on the larger grips on that one.

They are a blast to shoot & IMO the perfect night stand gun. One is on my wife's side & the other one is on my side.

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
I had the itch. I bought 2. One is the 3" & 3" barrel, the other is a public defender in polymer. I plan on put on the larger grips on that one.

They are a blast to shoot & IMO the perfect night stand gun. One is on my wife's side & the other one is on my side.
^^^^See, that's two positives there....what more could you ask?

Actually three positives and a couple of maybes. No negatives at all, go for the Gusto!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was like you, then I broke down and bought a Poly PD.
Let me just say ......COOL

I plan on CC'ing mine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got a 4510 Judge w2 1/2" cyl/3"bbl (no one had a 3" cylinder or longer bbl over a 6mo period
of checking in 2010). I got it for home defense along w/frangible 45's and PDX1 410's.

Ive been extremely pleased. So pleased in fact that I got a set of 5 adaprters that allow me to
shoot 22LR for cheaper plinking and I have a set of adapters coming for 22Hornet. The guy has
adapters available in 32 also.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Short answer. YES!!
Mixed loads make a great snake gun. Both kinds, legged and legless.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've owned both the blued Public Defender and now own the blued Judge Ultralight with a 3" barrel; and both are great home defense weapons, but I find myself conceal carrying the Judge Ultralight underneath a jacket and it is very comfortable due to the light weight.

I highly recommend either one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't answer that question for you. I can describe my experience with the Judge though. I'm a regular on another gun site and I can say for sure that the Judge is either loved or hated with little in between. Most gun folks who have been into them for awhile and fancy themselves, don't like the Judge. It doesn't have the look they are used to and they see it as a gun for the inexperienced. Most inexperienced folks think that it is the end all because you can just point it and blast away. Neither extreme is true and most of those in both groups are either completely inexperienced with this gun or in the case of the haters, have shot it a couple of times with birdshot. The nature of the Judge is that it is not extremely accurate with 45 Colts. It also doesn't always pattern well with game loads in .410. The Judge is pretty big too and not well suited to concealed carry. What the Judge is good at is a lot of compromises. It shoots the 45 adequately, especially as the ranges become close. It shoots the .410 adequately, especially if you use the loads Federal and the other big-name makers have developed specifically for it. With a mixture of both loads it becomes an excellent farm/ranch gun or trail gun where concealment is not required. It is also a great static defense gun, meaning home defense or vehicular defense. The thing about it is that you have to aim it, you can't just point in the general direction and expect it to be a street sweeper. The little .410 just isn't capable of that and there are some other issues. If it is aimed either with 45 or 410, it has the potential to devastate your opponent.

I'd suggest watching "Hickok45 Judge" on You Tube. It's the best all-around video I've seen concerning the Judge and its strengths and weaknesses.

Bottom-line, I like mine very well and have come to carry it more than any other gun, around the farm and ranch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quite a few good responses. Thank you. I guess the best way to see if I like it is to shoot it. I've got a friend who has one but we don't seem to head to the range at the same time. I'll fix that in short order.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I like the concept. I am a big fan of the multiple ammunition option. I am waiting for a Judge that can handle .45ACP, when it is released I will buy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would agree with trigun about watching the Hickok45 video on U-tube. I found that link and
now regret going for the PDX1 410 ammo. I think 000 buck would work much better; as usual
hindsite is always 20-20 and I didnt find this forum till too late. LOL
Also agree with trigun and others. It isnt a target pistol. While it is fun plinking, its primarily for
up close and personal defense.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would add - about personal defense, that includes snakes and critters. Handy for rats
or foxes that get into the chickens or grain. Easier than carrying a shotgun to the barn
and handier to wield in close quarters. LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quite a few good responses. Thank you. I guess the best way to see if I like it is to shoot it. I've got a friend who has one but we don't seem to head to the range at the same time. I'll fix that in short order.
Thanks again.
It is fun to shoot and I found it to be very accurate and love the fiber site. You will like it. It is a pleasent gun to shoot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the .454 option might be of interest. I have a .454 Raing Bull so using the same ammo appeals to me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It is always good to have a judge or two in your back pocket :cool: I have never shot one, but saw a show talking about them. I am curious to the amount of recoil.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts