Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Model 85 Ultra-lite to use for everyday carry. It has a full hammer. It is no problem in an IWB holster but if I put my weapon in my front pocket the hammer sometimes snags. I'm thinking of having the hammer 'bobbed' by a gunsmith. What do you think? Any idea what that might cost me? .......... Thanks .... RayJay in Mississippi.

Reactions: 0311

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
There is actually a good well written HOW TO DIY somewhere here on the forum. But, before you go to the trouble to bob the pistol, try learning new ways to pull it from your pocket with the hammer still in place. Personally I like being able to pull the hammer back rather than trigger pull action only. When I pocket carry I just make sure I slip my hand around the entire revolver when I pull it out with my thumb around the hammer....no snag opportunity.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's a good option. I worry though, that in a real emergency I'll be ALL thumbs. Thanks for your reply.

Reactions: 0311

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a pocket snubby, too. Also, I've considered having the trigger spur bobbed for the same reason you mentioned. I am off and on about it, but until I make up my mind, what I do is draw from the pocket with my index finger covering the trigger spur. I have a Kramer Gun Leather pocket holster for this little pocket cannon, and the holster helps alot. In this pic I am doing a one handed draw from my Kramer pocket holster, while holding a fresh cup of hot coffee with the other.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I bobbed my Ruger SP101 38 spec. Love it.

Just make sure your revolver is a double action.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
For those that want to keep their revolver's hammer spur, the simple solution is the time honored pocket draw.

Grip the revolver in your pocket as would normally do in a draw; let the thumb of the "gun-hand" ride atop the hammer during the draw to prevent it from snagging.

If you can't do this your pants or too tight, the pocket's to small or both.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ray Jay
You could call Taurus and see if they will sell you a hammer for a model 85 CH. That is the factory bobbed model. I have a 85 CH and love it. Although, being all steel, it is a little heavy for pocket carry.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had the hammer bobbed on my older model 85. Gunsmith charged me $45.00 and he did a complete inspection/cleaning at the same time. Told me he wouldn't touch the trigger because it was near perfect!
Love my 85.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have a pocket snubby, too. Also, I've considered having the trigger spur bobbed for the same reason you mentioned. I am off and on about it, but until I make up my mind, what I do is draw from the pocket with my index finger covering the trigger spur. I have a Kramer Gun Leather pocket holster for this little pocket cannon, and the holster helps alot. In this pic I am doing a one handed draw from my Kramer pocket holster, while holding a fresh cup of hot coffee with the other.

0311 (Marine grunt?) you look like Bob Munden getting ready to do a trick shot. Hpefully you tossed the mug into the air before shooting it. lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I removed half of the spur just for the sake of it. That could help with pocket draw? All you need is a Dremel tool and some nerves! Feels strange to go crazy with a powertool on your gun, but there is also a great feeling of satisfaction in doing it yourself. I might have to move to the USA an start working an a taurus revolver gunsmith! There is no fun with my replacement revolver, all modified for ppc shooting, and no things for me to modify (I still need to make a new grip but that's all...)

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Ray Jay
You could call Taurus and see if they will sell you a hammer for a model 85 CH. That is the factory bobbed model. I have a 85 CH and love it. Although, being all steel, it is a little heavy for pocket carry.
THAT is a good idea! Could also check to make sure that no heavier hammer spring is needed to compensate for the lighter hammer. I have heard -- but can't verify -- that the lighter mass needs more spring power.

I'm the happy owner of an 851UL, which has the shrouded hammer with enough of a stub to cock it if you choose SA. I think that Taurus may have left this one of the catalog now and replaced it with a heavier model.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, I knew I wanted to pocket carry, so my second .357 was a model 651. (It's got a hammer shroud as it's main feature). It has a small knurled bit of the hammer peeking above the shroud, so you don't really give that up.

·
Registered
349 Posts
0311 (Marine grunt?) you look like Bob Munden getting ready to do a trick shot. Hpefully you tossed the mug into the air before shooting it. lol
That is my favorite coffee cup - can drink from it smoking hot; won't burn the lip like a porcelain cup. I wouldn't shoot it for a thousand rounds of Remington .44 magnum! Haha!

·
Registered
349 Posts

Some of yall carry pocket snubbies, and are in a dither on whether or not to bob the hammer for a smooth, snag free draw. I know, because I go back and forth on this temptation my own self. Well first off, you don't REALLY have to bob the hammer. Getcha a dedicated pocket holster and spend some bucks on it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
To start with, when I reach into my pocket, I place my index finger over the trigger and onto the topstrap.

·
Registered
349 Posts
And wah lah! I simply pull it out, snag free. Many, many people say to use the thumb, but please try the index finger as well. And see which one you prefer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts