Taurus Firearm Forum banner

should i be paying for shipping???

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  joe sixpack 
#1 ·
i bought a brand new pt 1911 and one clip doesnt fall out so i called customer service and they said i would have to pay for shipping i feel thats B.S. since its brand new so what do you all think???i have bought things before from other people and they would send the replacement and have a return label posted paid to send the item back.......its amost not worth sending it back and just buying a new one....hummmm

#2 ·
For a 1911 I don't think I would spend the money to ship it back, just designate it as a range mag and buy more. You can usually find basic 1911 mags at gun shows for several bucks each.

Steelheart

#3 ·
I agree it sucks, but keep in mind just about all items you buy if it goes out in warranty you have to pay for shipping. But look on the brite side it's lifetime, just bought a new big tv for alot more, 90 days and 1 year is all you get, of course they want to sell you a policy. I still gotta take it to them to get fixed, I would druther ship a gun than move that sucker again.

#4 ·
Did you buy the gun from a local dealer? If so take it back for an exchange. If you purchased it over the internet, contact the dealer who sold you the gun and have them send you a postage paid shipping box, and send it back for an exchange. You should not have to deal with Taurus since your gun is brand new.

As far as having to pay for shipping to return the gun to Taurus... most manufactures do the same thing. You pay one way, and they pay return freight. In your case, there should be no reason to have to send your entire gun back to Taurus over a clip.

#5 ·
I have a S&W 360 that had top go back.
They emailed a UPS label to me. They paid it all.
The gun was not new. It looked new when I got it back.

I also have a Taurus 617 Ti. That had to go back. I took it to the dealer and they sent it back at no charge to me.

I also have a Keltec P3AT. I had to pay shipping their.

#7 ·
^^ Good point...never really thought of it that way...but I do like it when the company foots the bill, since we do spend soooo much for firearms that cost nickels compared to our hard earned dollars...imo

#8 ·
My time and travel is not under warranty, the gun is. To me, a brand new item that has not really been used should be cost free as it was purchased defective and you paid for a defect-free product, which is what you should be delivered at the agreed upon purchase price.

#9 ·
orndog said:
My time and travel is not under warranty, the gun is. To me, a brand new item that has not really been used should be cost free as it was purchased defective and you paid for a defect-free product, which is what you should be delivered at the agreed upon purchase price.
That would be an issue for the dealer you purchased the gun from. After your exchange warranty with the dealer runs out, you are on your own with the manufacturer. That is the case for all goods. If a toaster bought from a store breaks, you take it back to the store during the exchange warranty. After that you send it back to the manufactuer at your cost for repairs. If they want to pay for shipping that is definately a bonus, but shouldn't be expected.

I'm not just saying that all as a fan of Taurus. I have had to send things to other companies for repair when I build out computers, and it is the same across the board. Exceptional companies pay shipping both ways.

#10 ·
Pierce said:
That would be an issue for the dealer you purchased the gun from. After your exchange warranty with the dealer runs out, you are on your own with the manufacturer. ... Exceptional companies pay shipping both ways.
The point of this thread is that the OP has a brand new gun. I agree that after a certain time period shipping is on the customer, but only after the original purchase was received defect free. Mine was not defect free either, and my store of purchase covered 2 way shipping (don't know if Taurus reimbursed or not, but it was at no cost to me).
I prefer to do business with exceptional companies...

#12 ·
My first PT111, was totally a wipe out, defective in the feed ramp area.

The selling dealer was Davidson's and they replaced it within 24 hours. The 2nd one was OK, but turned out had a cracked mag, again replaced within 5 days, "but thanksgiving was in there", that was the reason for the 5 days. No freight company shipping over turkey day.

The local FFL rep was outstanding helping with these exchanges. So if your dealers, and FFL reps want to help you with defects or repairs you can say they represent Taurus and themselves in the most positive light.

I just purchased a Rossi, 461 that I take delivery of Tuesday from BudsGunShop, which is only about 70 miles from me in KY. So I am driving to pick it up. Will advise if I have any problems with their service or anything else about this purchase. I note that all the Rossi revolvers are made in a Taurus owned plant, and the mailing address for warranty is on the same street in Miami, FL. Hmmm!!

#13 ·
I agree, they should cover the shipping since the fault is leaning more on their end - brand new gun with a defect. Of course, I am not the one to judge since taurus is making the call. I would say, use a cheap shipping method with a tracking number...............you can use USPS and pay like $4 and ship using priority with sig confirmation since its not an entire gun.

#14 ·
It's not paying for "shipping" that so bad, it's the KIND of shipping that you're forced to pay. I found out the hard way that, in my state anyway, that firearms can only be shipped by overnight shipping for security reasons they say, and that costs about $50 or more. The gun I sent them earlier this year was purchased a long time ago for about $150 new so this "shipping" cost just added another 35% to the original cost and the gun was sent in for a manufacturing error that they caused.

#15 ·
propellerhead said:
If it were a local dealer, do you expect them to pay for your gas to get to the store?
No! But it doesn't usually cost $50 in gas to drive to your local gun dealer either.

#16 ·
Bring it back to the dealer. When my PT145 broke in September the dealer shipped it back to Taurus and didn't charge me. BTW, the gun was under a year old.

#17 ·
personally if there is something really wrong with the gun they should pay.. if not then you shoudl pay..

it should work liek this, you pay to ship it, then once they get it, if there is truely something wrong and under warranty they pay to ship it back to you plus a check for what it cost to ship it to them..

if it was your mistake and the gun is fine, then you pay them to have it shipped back to you.

thats the way it should work imo.. either that or do like they do in electronics industry have certified repair shops nation wide.. but since you have to ship them back to taurus them selves they should pay for shipping imo.

since this is a new gun no two ways about it.. they should pay.. simple as that.
i had to get 3 different trackers before i found a decent one.. and not totally happy with the shape it was even so.. it fires fine but im not real happy even so.

i was able to take it back to the dealer though, but i wont buy another taurus revolver for a very long time.. it was'nt exactly cheap, like a 50 dollar knock off you can just write off as something to toy with.. very disappointed with their revolvers QA.. my pt92 is overall pretty nice though.

oh i ment to mention Hi-point has been known to include mags, ammo, or other goodies when they return a gun.. even when there is nothing wrong with it.

thats nice so even though you paid for shipping you more offten then not get a little something extra out of it.. it's nice to see that kinda service when they really dont have to by rights but they do it anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.