Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to buy my first shot gun.. going to be used for home defense and clay birds. leaning more toward the claybird gun than home defense because a long barrel can be used for protection but a short barrel is terrible for clays. I think I've narrowed it down to the Benelli Supernova, or possible just the Nova. but i keep getting the Remington 887 in the back of my head.

so lets hear it whats your personal choice and which of the three do you like best. good and bad about each or just to troll....

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Well assuming you're talking about sporting clays or 5 stand the Benelli could be a good choice. If you're talking about shooting trap or skeet you might want to go another route. What ever gun you choose, I'd try and buy one that has easily inter-changeable barrels. That way you can fit it with a long tube for clays, and a short one for home defense. I've got several, well actually more than several, shotguns. The ones I see as most adaptable to field, clays, and defense would be the Browning BPS, or the Remington 1100. The Browning Pump is a good looking shotgun and you can get a variety of barrels to fit it. Mine has a 24" tube for upland game which also makes a nice sized gun for home defense, and it has a 30" trap barrel for clays. The Remington 1100 also has similar barrel options. The Benelli will be harder to get barrels and accessories for, but it is a nice gun. Mossberg also makes some good general purpose shotguns that use one receiver with a bunch of different barrels. I have an 870 riot gun for HD and it is the least favorite of my shotguns, but it will get the HD job done!

·
Administrator
35,787 Posts
Yes - either a over/under or maybe a long side-by-side, but I would lean toward the former.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I agree with BigSkiff find one you can change the barrels on. Also if you're going to get into serious clay shooting have it fit to you or so I've been told. I've been wanting to get into the clays myself, just need to find someplace local that can show me the ropes. I guess bird hunting never appealed to me, because I don't want to have to deal with the feathers.

BTW I have an 870 setup for HD and Deer, but more HD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i agree with the remington 1100, have never been let down from mine..870's are good as well.. but i stick with a single shot break over 12g i can hit better with that and my remington 16gauge..i am very intrigued of kel-tech's new shotty they made 14+1... looks to be a winner for home defense but not for skeet or trap shooting

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well technically you can change the barrel on the benelli but at $350 a pop Id just buy a different one..

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Either get to a clays range and try a variety of shotguns, or at least shoulder a few at your LGS. How it mounts and points for you makes all the difference in the world. For instance when I was on a range out in Kansas, I shot the Rem 1100, The Franchi I-12, and the Rem 11-87. The best of the bunch for me was the 1100. Although a similar design, the 11-87 was not as spot on as the 1100. I didn't like the Franchi/Benelli/Stoeger inertia system at all.

For myself, I own a pre-2006 Winchester 1300 Black Shadow. I was able to get it NIB from a dealer on GunBroker for $250. It's mount, weight/balance, and pointability (swing) are perfect for me, and I use it for all aspects of shotgun shooting. I will never get rid of it, and I may never buy another shotgun (although a Winchester X2 would be nice... :D)

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I think I would go with something cheaper than the Benelli's until you figure out what you are interested in. I see a lot of guys go buy very expensive shotguns to shoot Sporting Clays with then they get disgusted because they can't score with AA Shooters. The gun doesn't make you a good shot. It helps if the gun is fitted to you but if that were absolutly necessary then a lot of people wouldn't be buying the production guns like Brownings, Remington and Winchesters. If you decide that Sporting Clays is what you really want to do then consider a Sporting Clay type gun like the Benellis or Berettas but I see folks shooting Sporting Clays with Mossburg Pumps and having just as much fun as the guy with the $10,000. Kriegoff.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I should have posted this earlier I have shot Rem 870's 1100's and Mossberg 590? and they are good guns. but everyone talks about how they have had their shotguns for 20 years. so Even though this is MY first shotgun I have been around them and Am willing to spend the money to get a NIB shotgun that I will like for the next 20 years. Now granted I will buy more shotguns and guns in general for the rest of my life I don't plan on ever selling them. Unless of course realy hard times fall uppon us. Its not like It's going to bankrupt me to buy it. so why not spend the cash on a lot nicer one instead of upgrading later. Also I have been to the LGS and shouldered all of the ones in consideration. and i really like the feel of the nova and the 887 both have the larger grip on the pump which i like and both seem to shoulder about the same. I like how the Benelli feels in my hand a little better it feels very balanced.

·
Registered
32,441 Posts
Decide if you are going to be shooting sporting clays, skeet or trap. One shotgun will not typically work for all three due to the difference in range distance and the quickness each may require. Skeet is a lot quicker sport and shorter sport than trap and uses a lighter and shorter barrel than trap.

I've never shot sporting clays and don't know what type of shotgun works for those. I would think a trap gun would work for sporting clays due to the distances involved.

Any shotgun works for sitting in your master bedroom waiting for a bad guy walking through the bedroom door. If you are going looking for the intruder, you need a short barreled shotgun and a handgun is generally better in that situation.

If the zombies are coming, a high capacity mag or drum fed shotgun is best, but it weighs a lot!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I guess I should have posted this earlier I have shot Rem 870's 1100's and Mossberg 590? and they are good guns. but everyone talks about how they have had their shotguns for 20 years. so Even though this is MY first shotgun I have been around them and Am willing to spend the money to get a NIB shotgun that I will like for the next 20 years. Now granted I will buy more shotguns and guns in general for the rest of my life I don't plan on ever selling them. Unless of course realy hard times fall uppon us. Its not like It's going to bankrupt me to buy it. so why not spend the cash on a lot nicer one instead of upgrading later. Also I have been to the LGS and shouldered all of the ones in consideration. and i really like the feel of the nova and the 887 both have the larger grip on the pump which i like and both seem to shoulder about the same. I like how the Benelli feels in my hand a little better it feels very balanced.
Go for it.
I gave the advice I did because I've seen a few guys start shooting Sporting Clays then decide they really didn't like it or it was too expensive. They usually end up selling or trading their shotgun at a huge loss becuase Sporting Clay and Trap guns are almost specialty guns and a little heavy for field use. "But" my Beretta Silver Pigeon, Sporting Clays Edition is one gun I will never part with though. Even with the 30 inch barrels I have used it for Trap, Skeet, Quail, Dove, Ducks, Geese and Rabbits with good success and I like having one gun to learn. I have a set of Stainless, Briley Extended Chokes that make it very versitle. Shooting one shotgun for everything is smart because once you learn the mount, swing and followthrough, you don't want to change it. Good Luck,

·
Registered
258 Posts
Go with the Benelli Nova. Being a pump you don't have much to fail mechanically. I am a fan of Italian shotguns. My first shotgun was a Rem. 870 16ga. I still have it. I moved up as I got older and purchased a Franchi 612 semi-auto and have been very pleased.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
By the way, if money is no object, take a look at the Franchi Renaissance O/U. It's beautiful -- almost a work of art. It's balance, swing, and mount is like nothing else I have tried. If I had a free $1300 or so, I would buy one! :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Revolver Fan

Every shotgun Franchi makes is a thing of beauty. The I 12 autos range from black synthetic stocks all the way up to high gloss walnut finish and they all come with Benelli choke tubes.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Franchi and Benelli are both owned by Beretta. There seems to be a fairly strong link in regards to quality among these brands.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
I love my Remington 1100! Have two barrels for it. The Primary Barrel has a raised vent rib and is threaded for interchangeable choke tubes, which can be used for Bird Hunting, Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays. The Secondary Barrel is a short smoothbore Slug Barrel with Rifle Sights that can be used for hunting Deer or Self Defense. It's currently wearing that Secondary Barrel and loaded with #00 Buckshot for Self Defense.

·
Registered
45 Posts
first choice is a saiga 12, since buying and converting I shoot nothing else, my Remington 11-87s were my former love, but are gathering dust now

·
Super Moderator
35,778 Posts
A saiga for clays? FIT? Weight? Not sure it'd be too great for that, just sayin'. Have no use for one, myself, as I mostly hunt migratory birds with a shotgun, 3 round limit and my SxSs have plenty, actually, but the Saiga is just weird to look at and looks like it'd handle about as well as a 12 lb broomstick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OP, of the two you listed, I would suggest a Nova.
Buddy of mine bought the new 887, hated it. Actually sent it back to Remington he hated it so much.
Always had loading issues, fit and finish weren't what you would expect either.
That's a sample of one, but there are other reports of QC issues on the boards. Don't know if Remmy took some cost cutting measures on this one or not.

FWIW, I have a Winchester 1300 that I shoot birds and clays with, and a Smith and Wesson 3000 that's the HD gun.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts