Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have gotten older I find I don't heal as well as I once did - or at least not as fast.
So you may have heard me muttering about trading down to a 20 gauge. But as money seems to be tighter these days than it once was, I have been reluctant to spend the money since I have several 12 ga. guns. Among them is a Remington 11-87. For some reason it has been sitting in the safe for quite a few years while I punished myself with pump action guns.
Figuring that a semi-auto might just shoot enough softer than a pump, we took both out to bust some clays along with a buddies 20 ga. pump and a double barrel.
Anyway, that 11-87 is sweeeeeet. Shoots softer than that 20 ga. pump. For a long session, I think I will use a PAST shooting vest, but I think I am happy, and without spending any money.
2 BTWs:
  1. I shot some very inexpensive loads branded "Estate" -- they are very nice and I would recommend you try them.
  2. I think I finally am getting the hang of those frisbee critters. Even though I have always been able to kill feathered birds with no problem, the clay ones have consistently escaped me. Until Sunday - busted the last 10 straight! :yipee:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Have you tried the blackhawk Knoxx recoil stocks? I put one on a Remington 12 gauge and it wasn't as punishing. Just a thought.

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
I like the Estate Dove and Target load (12 Ga, 2.75", 7.5 Shot). Its cheap and shoots well and it's pretty light.

I recently got into birds of the clay variety as well, it had been 15-20 years since I shot it and even then it wasn't often. It is fun!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I like to sling as much lead as possible, so the answer is 12.:) Glad you found a way to avoid stepping down to 20.

·
Registered
28,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried the blackhawk Knoxx recoil stocks? I put one on a Remington 12 gauge and it wasn't as punishing. Just a thought.
They are only available for pumps.

·
Registered
24,949 Posts
As I have gotten older I find I don't heal as well as I once did - or at least not as fast.
So you may have heard me muttering about trading down to a 20 gauge. But as money seems to be tighter these days than it once was, I have been reluctant to spend the money since I have several 12 ga. guns. Among them is a Remington 11-87. For some reason it has been sitting in the safe for quite a few years while I punished myself with pump action guns.
Figuring that a semi-auto might just shoot enough softer than a pump, we took both out to bust some clays along with a buddies 20 ga. pump and a double barrel.
Anyway, that 11-87 is sweeeeeet. Shoots softer than that 20 ga. pump. For a long session, I think I will use a PAST shooting vest, but I think I am happy, and without spending any money.
2 BTWs:
  1. I shot some very inexpensive loads branded "Estate" -- they are very nice and I would recommend you try them.
  2. I think I finally am getting the hang of those frisbee critters. Even though I have always been able to kill feathered birds with no problem, the clay ones have consistently escaped me. Until Sunday - busted the last 10 straight! :yipee:
I gave 12 ga about 20 yrs ago for the very same reason. I have been shooting 20ga since and not looked back. I have 2 semiauto and 4 2 barrel guns and no 12ga. The semiautos shoot very soft.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That 11-87 is a sweet shotgun... I'm surprised it was a safe queen for you. I too am a big pump gun shooter and the only auto I have is an antique and when I still used it, had every bit the recoil that my pump guns do. I recently bought a 20 gauge pump gun because I'm not as young as I used to be either. However, the weight was a bigger factor for me than the recoil. Even though it's only 1 lb lighter, several miles of western Kansas thistle filled draws add up. BTW, when I patterned it and shot some blue rock through it with my son; I didn't come away feeling it has any less recoil than my 12 gauge pump, or over and under. Happy clays and successful hunting to ya'.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
The recoil pad is a good idea if you don't want to give up your shotgun. I bought me a Mossberg 500 for
home defense last year and it has a hard kick, especially with police buckshot loads. Putting a Limbsaver
recoil pad on has helped out a lot, now my shoulder doesn't turn blue after an extended shooting session.
The 16 gauge (my father's favorite gauge) is a good compromise between the 12 and 20. I am surprised
more gun manufacturers haven't made more versions of this gauge available. A 16 gauge would make a
good gauge for home defense for those who want more than the 20 gauge but feel over overwhelmed by
the 12 gauge.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I grew with a 20 and still have it to this day but dove and quail don't need much more than that. Stairs Handrail

·
Registered
28,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gave 12 ga about 20 yrs ago for the very same reason. I have been shooting 20ga since and not looked back. I have 2 semiauto and 4 2 barrel guns and no 12ga. The semiautos shoot very soft.
A semiauto 20 ga. is something I'd like to try. Haven't found a RW friend who has one, though. Need to ask more people. :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Although I can't afford one, I've shot plenty of Bennelli autoloaders in 12-20-28 guage and their inertia system is hands down the best recoil destroyer on the planet. The Legacy model is beautiful to look at and to shoot. If you can find someone to let you test drive one, you'll be hooked.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
for me is 12 ga 7/8 oz reloads or 28 ga (I cant stand 20 ga and only shoot it in the 20 ga event)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a new Mossberg SA 20 tactical that I really like.Just bought some Rio ammo that has nine, number- one buck that arrived today, and am looking forward to patterning.I went from 12 gauge pump to 20 semi-auto and there is quite a difference,now that I am getting old.

This is a really nice shooting gun,like most of the guns made in Turkey.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I have a 12ga pump and 12ga 1100; I no longer shoot the pump because the 1100 is sooooooooo smooth! That being said, I would gladly add a 20ga 1100 to my collection.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I hunt upland birds and dove with a 20 and reserve the 12 for Ducks, geese, turkey.

Reactions: Wingshot

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have a Mossberg 20ga. bolt action which I used for years pheasant and rabbit hunting and I would take as many birds or bunnies as anybody else and usually more. I also have two 12ga. one is a $50.00 gun show special Savage 3" magnum pump converted to a cruiser style and the other one is a sgl. shot with a Tennite stock and forearm and is light as a feather to carry but kicks like a Missouri Mule! I also have a couple of 16ga. one is a Remington 870 and the other is a sgl. shot which is one sweet shooting shotgun. The two sgl shots I bought from a real good friend about a year before he passed away. He asked me if I would be interested in a shotgun and when we stopped to visit them he brought out the two of them in cases. I asked him what he wanted for them and he said $25.00. I told him they were worth more than $25.00 a piece to which he informed me that the price was for both of them not a piece! After trying to convince him they were worth more I finally ended up taking them home with me!

Getting back to the topic I do really love a 16ga. they can be loaded up to near 12ga. or down to around 20ga. levels. The main draw back is that 16ga. shells are not the easiest to find in a variety of loads. I really think that too many people are missing out on a fine gauge by overlooking the 16's!

Edited to correct spelling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts