Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32,137 Posts
You need powder, shot, primers and and wads (shot cups). That is all you will need in the way of a loader.

I didn't know these were still made. I loaded a lot of 20 gauge with a Lee Load-All in 20 gauge in the late 70's. They will save you a lot of money on high velocity and magnum loads. For dove and quail loads that sell for $5 a box, you don't save hardly anything, but for the heavier loads that go for $10 and up or steel, it cuts your shooting costs in half. I could usually use the hulls about 4-5 times before the plastic in the roll and crimp would split. They are good little loaders. If I still hunted duck and geese, I would definitely reload.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need powder, shot, primers and and wads (shot cups). That is all you will need in the way of a loader.
All 4 available at Bass Pro, I believe.
I know shotgun primers are there, and of course powder. I'll check on the shot and cups when I go there Wednesday.
I guess I should start saving my hulls.
I had been throwing them away, didn't know the Lee equipment was that cheap, er.. inexpensive.
I may get into it next year.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I have an earlier Lee Load All that I load slugs and 00 buck. I buy birdshot on sale.
Mine does not have the primer feed but the way I load that is not a big issue.

I don't use the shot drop - 00buck is hand loaded as are slugs. That said I can crank out a hundred at a sitting no problem.
I use my Lee turret for the powder drops and the load all for deprime, size and crimp.

You've seen the videos and should be good to go!!

I make my own heavy paper shot cards to raise slugs to the proper height in the wad and also punch a Mylar over card for the top of the buck rounds to keep them visible in case my marks get rubbed off.

I reload found hulls OR buy Win XX hulls in brass for $8 per 100 from a small vendor.

Look up your recipes, get hulls, wads, primers and shot (bet you have a powder or two!) and load some up!!

Send pics!

·
Registered
32,137 Posts
Red Dot and Blue Dot (magnum loads) are the two main powders I loaded back in the day. I liked AA hulls and the smooth blue Remington hulls the best. Both have a good 8 star crimp. The Federals used to have a 5 star crimp and just didn't stay crimped as well.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried the Hodgdon reloading site for shotgun and no matter what I tried it kept insisting on Universal for powder.
Even when I selected only a powder from the choices the loads came up Universal.
I'll take a look at a book at BPS if there is one on shotgun reloading.

·
Registered
32,137 Posts
The Lee Load-all will come with a chart for suggested loads and powders.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have almost a full pound of 700-X.
Bought it for 9mm., but no bullets right now and I have about 2000 rounds anyway.
I used some of it to make 40 rounds of subsonic .223.
I guess I can save it for shotshells.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Check out the reloading section of the Shotgunworld.com forum. It is a good source of information on Shotshell reloading. Buy a book - Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Handbook is good. Find recipes for your desired loads in a manual or the powder or wad manufacturer's web sites and follow it exactly. Loading for shotguns is different than metallic reloading. You don't work up loads or substitute components. I prefer MEC entry level loaders to Lee - you can find a used 600 Jr pretty cheap, but either one can make useable shells if you are careful.
The price of lead shot nowadays makes Shotshell reloading more expensive than it used to be, but you can still save a little and get better ammo tailored to your gun and your preferences - a lot of money can be saved on specialty loads or the sub gauges. Good luck & have fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts