Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a shotgun has a 3" chamber, do I have to use 3" shells or can 2-3/4" shells be used?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I know very little about shotguns, but will be getting a Mossberg 500 soon.
And I already bought 75 2-3/4" Federal Target Load shells.
Must plan ahead.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
More than likely it will be marked 3" and 2 3/4". If not on the gun, on the package and in the manual.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Either or is fine, just be careful with the 3" shells you buy. Every now and then they're known to hangup on ejection if they open up a little too long. I just run 2 3/4" shells in mine, they pack plenty of punch as is when you load up a full tube of rifled slugs. Not much keeps standing after a solid ounce of lead runs through them, especially when flying out at 1200-1600 fps.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Anything up to 3" will work.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Your 500 will shoot 2 3/4 or 3in. I have a semi auto that is 3in only. It will shoot 2 3/4 but it will only eject and cycle 3in. A mossberg 500 is a fine gun and will shoot just about anything. I shoot skeet and trap with a 20ga 500 and I do very well with it.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
In fact, the 3in shells will beat the hell out of you!!

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I know very little about shotguns, but will be getting a Mossberg 500 soon.
And I already bought 75 2-3/4" Federal Target Load shells.
Must plan ahead.
That is what I call "Incentive." :)

I did the same thing before I bought my 24/7.
Had several hundreds rounds of 9mm. on the shelf first.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I hope you enjoy your Mossy as much as I do mine. Great shotgun! And you can find them for around $300 in this area most of the time, talk about a good deal

CreekFisher

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
$199 at Walmart. When they have one.
Or the Maverick 88, same price, MADE IN TEXAS!
Going to add the pistol grip buttstock for another $70.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
$199 at Walmart. When they have one.
Or the Maverick 88, same price, MADE IN TEXAS!
Going to add the pistol grip buttstock for another $70.
$199 !!! Wow.. is that their short 18" barrel model or what? I have only seen the maverick for that price around here

CF

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I misquoted the price.
The Maverick 88 synthetic is indeed $199.
I think the 500 synthetic is $219 and the wood is $239.
26" barrel, I believe.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Still a good price! I may just have to buy another shotgun when I go on vacation in your area again. Lol

CF

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
If this is going to be a tactical/ home defense shotgun you probably do not want a 26" barrel, you can add the $100+ cost of a new barrel and the $70 pistol grip stock to the $219 price so you are already up to $390.00

Check walmarts special order catalog to see if they have exactly what you want. You can usually find the stock and barrel combo or the shorter 20" barrel model at a better price than you can build them.

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts