Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I'm too lazy to run a trombone gun, so I got a 1100 instead.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had posted about the heatshield for the Home Defense shotgun I own in the "what did you buy gun related in the last 48 hours " thread.
Well it arrived today do hear are pics. View attachment 478726 View attachment 478727
It seems unusual to read of a shotgun being used in a home defense situation these days.
But "tactical" shotguns seem all the rage, painted in "Tactical Black" and have rails for sights and lights and satellite antennas on them. All the ammo manufacturers offer body-ripping ammo.
Exactly what do you live in? What you would choose for an apartment will be quite different from what you'd use for a wood-frame home or a trailer.
12 gage? Shorten the barrel, truncate or eliminate the stock and you'll be dancing to a heady tune. Especially with a turkey load or double-ought. A couple of combat-experienced friends of mine prefer 16 gage, or even 20. With a cylinder-bore barrel and hunting loads they make comparatively compact but vicious holes in targets. Put a choke in it and you'll get holes a little larger than bore size out to 50 feet.
BTW, my friends bought rather pedestrian models and shorted the barrel and stock to the minimum allowed. They then let the barrel and exterior of the action turn brown, if it wasn't already. Sights? None.
If you're at the range and want something to challenge you, start hip-shooting. You'll learn a lot,
So if you like that $2,000 Benelli, go for it. But that Remington or Mossberg getting lonely in your safe will likely do you as well. Sights? Watch trap shooters. You can hand a good one a shotgun without that front bead and their scores would not decline. When I shoot birds I point the barrel of my Remington 870. Don't even see the sight.
Lights? Lasers? Here's a thought: put everything you think you want/need on your home-defense shotgun, turn out the lights in your house and "chase bad guys". Haven't bought that stuff yet? Good for you. Get a broom and hang flashlights, duct-taped full drink bottles, a portable radio/CD player, and a bra filled with fishing weights wrapped around the bristles to simulate an ammo cuff. THEN walk around your home with the lights out.
Lately there have been 410 defensive rounds available. I have a sweet Stevens side-by-side 410 and put some of those in it. Yeah, hit your target right (like the face) and you'll get good effect. I think double-ought heavy would be better. A 20- or 16-gage even better.
Pump vs auto. Armed forces around the world are using Benellis, Berettas and American brands and love 'em. No issues with newer designs. Ask the manufacturer about ammo, and shoot a couple hundred rounds before you rely on it. Ammo is the key.
Which brings up the mini-shells. Sounds great that you can increase the magazine capacity that way. BUT, not all guns will feed and cycle them. Ask. And test.
So, what to use, if not a shotgun? I've known LEOs who could have bested Machine Gun Kelly with no more than their Model 10. And others who could fire three magazines from a Beretta at a Limo at 60 feet and not even bust a window.
Coolly analyze what threat to expect. No home, apartment or trailer is defendable against a mob. Anyone should be concerned about a home invasion. Consider: they don't ring the doorbell and ask to come in. They use subterfuge or brute force and strike fast and hard. In all likelihood you will not have your Bad Guy Blaster slung across your chest. Maybe under the sofa. Having a handgun on your person is, I think, the best answer. I worked in law enforcement and as a federal officer, and some people who had "come to my attention" for further action, or their aggrieved families, lived within 10 miles of my home. My family learned early on that I was always armed with one or two handguns, and a shotgun was in a wall lock in the bedroom.
So, what did I choose as my home-defense shotgun? My reliable, much used especially in SASS, Winchester 1897 pump 12-gage. The riot gun with 20" barrel and target loads.
Let's address a time-worn myth. You've heard that just working the action of a shotgun will send the cowardly bad guys fleeing. Don't bet on it. Some may flee, but some may start shooting. Far too many violent criminals "get off" on the idea of a gunfight and see themselves in the audience, admiring the bad guy as he dies in a hail of bullets. If you have a gun in your hands, behave as though you will use it.
I like the idea of a shotgun as a "car gun". As I mentioned, I know people who have one between the seats in every vehicle they own. Mostly 16 or 20 gage, and some are single-shot! They feel perfectly safe that way, but they are professional military with more tours "in the sand" than I have grains of sand in my driveway. Interesting, to me, is that every one of them say the M4 is the better gun for room-to-room fighting. AR addicts, take note.
I don't like the idea of a rifle used in the house due to penetration of walls. Even high-powered handgun rounds will wake up the neighbors. For me, rifle-calibers and shotguns are better suited to use outdoors.
One more piece of equipment to consider indoors: a shooting headset with sound cut-out. It's amazing how well they amplify other sounds in your home. I keep a set by my bed, next to my handgun of choice.
So, a shotgun has many applications for personal defense. They have their limits and you should explore them thoroughly.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
A couple of combat-experienced friends of mine prefer 16 gage, or even 20.
Yes, I am just fine with my 20. If you need more than a .60 cal slug, or 20, .25 cal pellets, it probably didn't matter what you had anyway.

So, what did I choose as my home-defense shotgun? My reliable, much used especially in SASS, Winchester 1897 pump 12-gage. The riot gun with 20" barrel and target loads.
My father had a 97, 28". Somewhere along the line it disappeared. He passed before I knew it was gone. Don't know if he sold it, or someone he lent it to just kept it. That was over 30 years ago. He did have an Ithaca 37 in 20 that I wasn't aware of, so perhaps he traded.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Well, I think I've shot my Shockwave enough now to feel somewhat proficient with it. I'm still more comfortable shooting one of my bird guns or my coach gun which I used to hunt doves with, but I wanted short for the truck and vowed to figure out how to shoot the thing. Would I prefer a well fitting long gun? SURE! Shotgun fit is essential in a bird gun. Few understand this. I went for literally decades not understanding this dynamic until the internet came along and I was instructed on how to achieve proper fit. Point shooting is much less "aim" and much more "point" now. That's how those trap and skeet shooters do it that were mentioned. And, bonus, my Mossberg duck gun didn't beat up my face anymore. Off the rack without adjusting things, it was like fighting George Foreman every time I picked it up, would cut me on my cheek. I'd be bleeding during a good hunt. Making the gun fit, had to increase drop at comb, was the answer. It transformed the gun. I no longer had an adversarial relationship with it. It was nice to know I didn't have to accept getting beat up just for a mess of ducks or geese. 🤣 And, I did much better on shells fired per limit of ducks. It's even more economical.

But, of course, this is neigh on impossible without a butt stock and in this application, a butt stock just isn't ideal for storage in the truck. I've hassled with this truck gun thing for a while, now. So, I decided to try this PGO thing when the Shockwave came out. I've not mastered it, but I watched vids of Hickock .45 point shooting the thing and he looked pretty comfy with it. I've copied his technique and it's doable, a bit awkward and I'd never suggest skeet shooting if you want a decent score, but it's a LOT more accurate and even faster than trying to shoot from the hip. :D And the more I play with it, the better I get and the more fun I have with it.

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
I have two designated home defense:

The Shockwave

And my sling for it

And my more recently acquired Dickinson Arms 12G hybrid - can convert from pump to semi auto

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
BTW, in my internet searching yesterday, I came across a new Shockwave which takes detachable magazines, I guess to address those who wanna carry the thing into combat or something. It offers more firepower at the expense of more bulk. I'm not a high firepower type, personally. That's for armatures who never figured out marksmanship. 🤣

·
Registered
675 Posts
Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
11 Posts
My choice is a 12 ga coach gun with 3" chambers. I feed it 3" 00 buckshot with each shell holding 15 ( not 9 ) 00 buckshot. it also holds 5 more rounds in a side saddle bandolier. It uses dual triggers so I don't have to worry about a single trigger inertia mechanism failing to swap barrels when a shot is fired. The coach gun is the partner of a .45 acp 1911a1.

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts
My choice is a 12 ga coach gun with 3" chambers. I feed it 3" 00 buckshot with each shell holding 15 ( not 9 ) 00 buckshot. it also holds 5 more rounds in a side saddle bandolier. It uses dual triggers so I don't have to worry about a single trigger inertia mechanism failing to swap barrels when a shot is fired. The coach gun is the partner of a .45 acp 1911a1.
I keep being tempted to pickup one of the Century Arms rabbit ears coach guns. Yes they're made in China, but what isn't?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I keep being tempted to pickup one of the Century Arms rabbit ears coach guns. Yes they're made in China, but what isn't?

The gun in my photo is an H&R Pardner Protector and it's made in China. Clone of a Remington 870 and so heavy it feels like it's made from a recycled T-38 tank.

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
I recommend to all my friends who have shotguns sitting in closets (for over 30 years) to always keep a good hacksaw and file beside them. If the end times come, cut the barrels about as short as you want them and smooth the crown.

I figure my wife could handle a 20 gauge pump if push came to shove.

I will be on a Saiga 12 with 10 round magazines, and standard 2 3/4" buckshot loads.

One poster mentioned the 3" 15 pellet buckshot loads. I have quite a few of those in my stash, but would trade them all for regular 2 3/4" 9 pellet loads.
Most law enforcement rounds are 2 3/4" low recoil 8 pellet loads.

My truck gun for road rage incidents is a .410 Shockwave loaded with 5 pellet 000, 1150 fps shells, I do have some of the Pansy 750 fps loads, but the faster loads are what I will start with, and I do have a 9mm also as my everyday truck gun.

If the end days came, my preference would be the versatility of a shotgun.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Yes they're made in China, but what isn't?
Remington 1100, 11-87, V3, Versamax, 870
Mossberg 930, 500, 590, Maverick 88
Winchester Model 1897, 1912, 1200, 1300, 120, 1400 etc.
High Standard Flite King
Beretta A300
Ithaca 37
Kel-tec KS7, KSG

Quite a bit it appears. (Swiped from 'The High Road')

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts
^^ Pretty sure that my Maverick 88 is assembled in the USA from parts made in Mexico.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts