Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Many folks opt for an AR or AK for Home Defense these days, but a Shotgun will always be a popular choice because it's hard to argue with 00 Buck, much less a Slug.

For me, it's this little guy.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many folks opt for an AR or AK for Home Defense these days, but a Shotgun will always be a popular choice because it's hard to argue with 00 Buck, much less a Slug.

For me, it's this little guy.
Nice choice.
I never bought an AR or AK as I never thought them useful enough once it came time to open the wallet. Always wanted one just never justified it. Now I really wish I had.
12 gauge ammo is still relatively easy to find so it's got its perks. Plus I can always hunt birds and rabbits if times get tough.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Nice choice.
I never bought an AR or AK as I never thought them useful enough once it came time to open the wallet. Always wanted one just never justified it. Now I really wish I had.
12 gauge ammo is still relatively easy to find so it's got its perks. Plus I can always hunt birds and rabbits if times get tough.
The best and most important type of "diversity"!

And a good looking shield, looks like how it should've come in the first place.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Congrats on your new home defense.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nice choice.
Just like a slice of pie and a glass of milk, Justification or usefulness rarely enters my mind when I buy a firearm anymore. It's more for enjoyment than anything these days. The only ammo I've seen on the shelves consistently is 28 gauge shotgun shells. I don't know if I've ever seen a 28 gauge shotgun.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Nice choice.
Agree. If only able to have ONE weapon, it would be a 12 or 20 pump. Not ideal, but hard to argue with the ammo versatility.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Needs to be a double barrel, from what I hear . . .

·
22,836 Posts
Agree. If only able to have ONE weapon, it would be a 12 or 20 pump. Not ideal, but hard to argue with the ammo versatility.
True, but boy is that ammo bulky and heavy. Picture 500 rounds of 12 gauge, and then picture 500 rounds of 7.62x39.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
Awe, now I want a Dachshund.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
"
True, but boy is that ammo bulky and heavy. Picture 500 rounds of 12 gauge, and then picture 500 rounds of 7.62x39.
I used to buy 7.62x39 by the case. When the UPS driver would show up, I'd walk out to her truck to help her. "Whadda you got in this thing, lead?", she asked once. "Well, uh....."

🤣

·
Registered
665 Posts
Another way of looking at the shottie is that a shell of 00 buck is pretty much the same as giving one a nine round burst from a 9mm smg. :cool: Our "Little Guy":

·
Registered
793 Posts
when I first got hired onto my police dept back in 1975, my shift sergeant issued me my service revolver and backup revolver. As he handed me the .357 service revolver he semi-jokingly told me that it was "to keep the bad guys' heads down until I could get to the shotgun' we had in the vehicles.

I have a Mossberg 12 gauge now for home defense. It came with the heat shield but I took that off. It was just excess weight and I figured that if I was firing my shotgun enough in a home defense situation that it heated the barrel that hot, burning my hand on the barrel was probably the least of my problems by then.

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
My shotguns are all for hunting. I'd load one up, usually my coach gun, with buck shot and keep it by the bed, but it wasn't special bought for that. Then, when the Mossberg shockwave came out, I decided I wanted a 20 gauge version of that, so I found one locally. I thought with that 14" barrel, it'd shoot a wide pattern, but no, I was surprised. At danger close out to about 15 yards, the pattern is quite tight. I've practiced a lot with it, but it doesn't point naturally for me and pointing it as one would a shoulder fired gun from the hip doesn't work very well. I've found that shooting it one handed as a pistol works better, but recoil causes the action to open. I'm still working with it. I bought it for a truck gun, but it's comforting sitting by the bed. :D

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
You got that right. That's where the 'not ideal' comes in. ....... But I would have a hard enough time knocking down a pheasant or quail with #6, let alone an AK.

I guess I should qualify it with, 'IMO it would be first choice if only having one 'survival weapon', not necessarily 'defensive weapon'.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Winchester M97 and M12 trench guns.
View attachment 478756
Love the trench guns and that new Mossberg Retro! That is why the heatshield which is actually some polymer material. No weight, just looks cool. IMO
I used to be pretty good at pheasant, quail, and rabbit in my younger years.
I do like my shotguns for survival and defense, I know they get used in combat and assault for special purposes but that ain't me!
If you see one of the Miculek's run one it is really impressive!! As is all they do behind the trigger!

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Love the trench guns and that new Mossberg Retro! That is why the heatshield which is actually some polymer material. No weight, just looks cool. IMO
I used to be pretty good at pheasant, quail, and rabbit in my younger years.
I do like my shotguns for survival and defense, I know they get used in combat and assault for special purposes but that ain't me!
If you see one of the Miculek's run one it is really impressive!! As is all they do behind the trigger!
Cannot tell you the make (although I'm sure you, or someone here does), but my son has the model that has two switchable magazine tubes. Load each with whatever you want and switch on the fly.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts