Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the range today, and I saw they had a Remington R51 for rental. I couldn't resist, as I've always been interested in its unique look. I was well aware of its reputation for failures, but assumed the range had checked it out. Honestly, it looked as though I might have been the first person to fire it!

I fired 5 shots. On each shot, the slide locked back. I wasn't going to do this 50 times, so I told the RO. He said, "Let me see if it does the same thing to me..." It did. He said to give him 15 minutes and he thought he could get it running for me, but I passed. It felt like the outside edges of the slide were grazing my shooting hand during its travel on each shot. Didn't hurt, but didn't like it, either.

Any of you try the R51?

·
Registered
969 Posts
At the range today, and I saw they had a Remington R51 for rental. I couldn't resist, as I've always been interested in its unique look. I was well aware of its reputation for failures, but assumed the range had checked it out. Honestly, it looked as though I might have been the first person to fire it!

I fired 5 shots. On each shot, the slide locked back. I wasn't going to do this 50 times, so I told the RO. He said, "Let me see if it does the same thing to me..." It did. He said to give him 15 minutes and he thought he could get it running for me, but I passed. It felt like the outside edges of the slide were grazing my shooting hand during its travel on each shot. Didn't hurt, but didn't like it, either.

Any of you try the R51?

No, and it's disappointing. Rotary barrel lock-up has its advantages, but it appears that only Grand Power can get it right. Not forgetting Beretta, but they never got past 1 single barrel length. More options with the Grand Power's, but for a pistol made in Slovakia the price seems a bit high.

From what I've seen since Remington took another shot at getting the R51 right, they didn't quite get there.;)

·
Super Moderator
37,552 Posts
Happy that I read this...the sub 200 price tag at RK was enticing me to leap into ownership.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
I would have one ,just to see if I could get make it run well.....................

Reactions: Wino and jimb1972

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Aside from the bad reports of the first run, and the so-so reports when it was "fixed" and released, I just won't own a gun that is that complicated and finicky in the takedown. Other than that, it is a cool looking gun.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I own one. Bought it over a year ago. It is still unfired, in the box. I DO think Remington will eventually end production, and I'll own a serious collector's item. When I sell it, I'll be rich!!!..................BwahhhhhhhHAHAHAHA!

Wait.....was I sleeping????? Had a heckuva dream!!!!!!

Reactions: Valjean

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I own one. Bought it over a year ago. It is still unfired, in the box. I DO think Remington will eventually end production, and I'll own a serious collector's item. When I sell it, I'll be rich!!!..................BwahhhhhhhHAHAHAHA!

Wait.....was I sleeping????? Had a heckuva dream!!!!!!
I spoke with a Remington rep just the other day who said the fate of the R51 is currently undetermined at this time but that it didn't look good. He also told me that they did not take it to SHOT; which looks like they've really already made up their minds.

·
Registered
27,822 Posts
I've got one. Shoots consistently well on 124 grain loads. Factory or reloads.
It's not the energy as my reloads are on the mild side, but it seems to like the heavier bullet.
I love to shoot the gun—it just flat feels good. But it is a PITN to take apart (not bad to put back together).

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I'm going to have take a look into getting one. They might be collectable and priceless one day and I have never owned a pistol with so many negative reviews...:)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Remington - "With manufacturing tolerances super-tuned to its unique build, the R51 not only functions flawlessly, it sets new performance standards in the subcompact category."

MAC - "this gun will make you invent new cuss words!"

Reactions: JaPes

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
These intirgue me just because of the Pedersen delayed blow-back mechanism.

I've had one in my cart at Bud's at least three times but just cannot get myself to
complete the purchase.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
698 Posts
Maybe the issue is with the maintenance of the rental gun, not the gun itself? At the ranges I frequent that rent guns, they're not often cleaned and lucky to get a drop of lube.

Any of you try the R51?
110ayyc.jpg

Not only tried it. I bought a Remington R51 Gen2. The only feeding issues I had were due to one used magazine out of a lot of 6 I purchased off an auction site. It's run fine over the 500 rounds I've put downrange. Is it more involved to field strip than almost every other semi-auto handgun? Yes, though not as involved and frustrating as field strip and reassembly of a Ruger MKII or MKII the first 20 times you do it. The trigger break is nice. Reset isn't short, not full out like a DAO, uncommunicative via feel but predictable enough with practice.

I'm not using mine as a life/liberty defensive firearm. Mine's just for range fun. I bought mine because of the checkered history of the R51 and the overwhelmingly negative knee-jerk reactions found on the internet. It looks like a throw back ray gun from the 50's. It has an uncommon action. Remington's marking hype machine went into overdrive before and during the initial release of the R1 Gen1. It was supposed to be the next best thing in the concealed carry market. Gun mags and paid YouTube schills went into overdrive lauding the gun. After hyping up demand, Remington delivers a stinking turd. Solution was up to the owner: refund, send to the factory and exchange for a 1911, or send to the factory and wait for the fix/replacement.

IMO, Remington made mistake #2 with the "send to factory and wait for the fix/replacement" because some people chose the option forcing Remington to fix the R1 and release it as a "Gen2". I'm glad. The Gen1 launch failure ruined the R51 rep so much so that it drove down the price. I remember the initial release prices being around $500. I bought my Gen2 new for $230.

Actually, I wish I had bought a Gen1 back in the day. I could have sent it back to Remington and gotten a more expensive 1911. LOL

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As mentioned in the OP, the gun looked brand new and unfired. It was a pity about this gun - personally, I *loved* the look. When I saw it at the range, I jumped at the chance to shoot it! Those who have well-functioning models are fortunate, indeed!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Verrrrrrrrry interesting! I did see these somewhere recently for $199, I think. Was tempted to pick up another as an actual range toy. If R does discontinue the R51, I would bet we'll see some extreme close-out pricing, as there must be thousands sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Come on sale ads........."R51 - $99.00 with Free Shipping"! I'd buy 2 more!

·
Registered
507 Posts
It is funny to hear a 1917 design called "Space Age gun".

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
As foolishly as Remington has been running lately, there probably ARE thousands in a warehouse somewhere. I don't buy anything with an "R" on it anymore, at least not new. An old 870-well, maybe.

·
Registered
507 Posts
As foolishly as Remington has been running lately, there probably ARE thousands in a warehouse somewhere. I don't buy anything with an "R" on it anymore, at least not new. An old 870-well, maybe.
As much as I hate to admit it I find the Remington RM380 about as close to perfection as I've found yet in a small pocket pistol. In particular, it is really easy to rack the slide, to reach or replace any internal pieces part, that it likes absolutely any ammo I've fed it, has a wonderfully relatively light double action trigger (even nicer after a Gallowayectomy) and is as accurate as I am, maybe even more accurate than I am capable of using.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts