Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first of all this is something I was willing to take a chance on in a safe enviroment so you dont have to follow in my foot steps, and you dont have to say Im a moron cause I hear that enough from my wife lol

Heres how it all started. I was showing a freind of mine the video on taurususa.com and it mentioned something about higher capacity magazines saying the 24/7 held 12 rounds of 45acp or 45gap. He then asked if they made a 45gap, so I checked the website even though I was already pretty sure they did not make a 24/7 GAP pistol, and sure enough they don't. I also remember reading the review on gunblast about the pt145 and he also ran some GAP through it with out any problems, soooooo This leads me to the range with my 24/7 and a box of 45GAP. That stuff is pricey, anyway. I first loaded the mag with about 6 rounds of GAP and proceeded to cycle them through by hand and each one loaded and ejected and loaded again just like normal. So I wait till I am the only one on the line, load up 6 rounds rack the slide and pull the trigger and everything functions like normal. All 6 rounds load and fire with out any problem at all. 12 rounds go in the mag next and again all 12 load and fire and eject just as 45acp would. After that I field striped it and all looked normal. I put it back together and finished out the range trip by shooting about 200 rounds of acp through it and all went off with out a hitch ;)

Im not sure if Taurus intended for the 24/7 to shoot both or not but I am going to call them monday and ask ;D

·
Administrator
17,595 Posts
While you got away with it I don't expect Taurus to condone such action. The .45 GAP is different from the .45 ACP in 2 major ways. It's shorter and loaded to much higher pressures. The shorter case allows the instant higher pressure heat to go into more of the Chamber rather than the barrel forcing cone area. If done a lot, that excess portion of the chamber may, and probably will, wear in the excess space. Firing regular .45 ACP ammo in such a worn chamber may result in a failure to extract.

It is not the same as firing a .38 Special in a .357 Magnum Chamber, as the .38 Special is a Lower Pressure Cartridge being fired in a Higher Pressure Chamber, and the .45 GAP would be a High Pressure Cartridge being fired in a Low Pressure chamber.

Also, since the bullet will have more of a jump to the barrel Forcing Cone Area/Rifling, there will be a loss in Pressure/Velocity and possibly accuracy. It certainly is not worth the trouble or cost, but it is nice to know that the .45 ACP PT24/7 is that feed reliable.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would hesitate to tell Taurus that you shot a GAP out of your gun. It may void the warranty.

I'm just glad something "bad" didn't happen.

Todd

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Just an FYI, the pressure rating on 45GAP is the same as 45ACP +P. Yes, its higher than standard 45acp but not that much.

My first thought was the difference in the chamber length, I'm a little surprised that they all ran fine as the only thing holding the shell against the slide was the extractor. Still, nice to know.

Steelheart

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kudo's 2 U, MPanove, this country was founded on brave men, most of who've die'd in process, but nevermind that. Don't tell Taurus, but DO tell us. R u going to do another 50? I'm dying to know how it turns out. I didn't know anything about this round, the Glock Automatic Pistol, yea? DO worry about chamber damage, though, from what I've gathered from my own research. It definitely gives us a sense of how durable these 24/7's r.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the differences between the GAP and ACP and its not something I will run through it all the time, I just wanted to do a "torture test" so to speak on the pistol. I would not tell Taurus I did this either, I was just going to call and talk to them about what I saw in there video.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts