Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post, appreciate any comments.
I reload shot shells for handguns for use on rattlesnakes. Just bought a Tracker .44mag and am wondering if the ported barrel presents a problem using my handloaded shot-shells? And what about the plastic shot capsules?

·
8,985 Posts
I have shot 38spc CCI shot shells out of my ported Taurus 627 with no problems. The shot pattern was about 12 inches at 20 feet.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My first post, appreciate any comments.
I reload shot shells for handguns for use on rattlesnakes. Just bought a Tracker .44mag and am wondering if the ported barrel presents a problem using my handloaded shot-shells? And what about the plastic shot capsules?
Welcome, Walter!

As far as the plastic capsules from SPEER, they're essentially the same as used in the CCI Shotshell loads. Generally, medium to faster burn rate powders are used and a specific velocity recommended for the powder listed. I have the SPEER #11 manual from the 1980s and one of the powders was W630 and long discontinued. Other powders used were W231, Unique, Bullseye, HP38 and 700-X. Back then, W231 and HP38 definitely took different charges while currently, they're both the same powder.

You'll want to get the new SPEER Manual. There should be other powders included and added since the #11. Most of the retail component dealers sell the capsules. In the #11, they listed options for shot with 7 1/2, 8 and 9, the last a bit small for .44 Special or Magnum but used for .38 Special/.357 Magnum.;)

·
Super Moderator
37,639 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Welcome from Western Kentucky!!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Welcome, this is a great place to have your questions answered.

I hpe my answer isn't too confusing, but I have played with various shot rounds for decades. Even cut off 30-06 cases for shot loads in a 45ACP. Not much success there.

My personal experience with the Speer shot capsules, though, is good. I like to use a stiff charge of Bullseye - and be careful to not overdo it, for it can/will blow patterns if you use too much. Fill that shot capsule with shot, as much as you can cram in - it is hard to get too much weight there.

Back in the days before plastic shot capsules, I used a gas-check turned upside-down over the powder, fill a necked-down 357 case with shot and a gas-check crimped in the mouth. The gas-checks were little bullets and would retain energy enough to go through 1/4" plywood.

But now, in the modern era, plastic is better.

It works well in everything I have tried it in 38 SPL from a Charter-Arms Undercover , a pair of Tauruses and a S&W M36. It has enough energy to penetrate the first two two layers of exterior plywood from six feet and from those 2" barrels, it still makes a good enough shot pattern to acommodate any snake you might find at that range.

I never thought there was much difference whether from 2" or 4" barrels.

I have used shot from #6, 7 1/2, 8, 9, & 12. For snakes, and such, I prefer #9, as it makes a good combination of amount (number) of shot, while retaining significant energy per pellet. The #12 was a lot of pieces, but over five feet, the energy just wasn't there. Penetration was a good deal less.

In a 44Mag, you can seat the capsule right on the powder, and crimp a bit. Again, #9 was most satisfactory for my uses.

Whatever I shot it out of and with whatever charge, it penetrated cardbard at fifteen feet, but I have no idea of velocity/energy beyond "USEFUL AT SIX FEET'.

Flash

1 - 7 of 7 Posts