Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently bought a Rossi Matched Pair (.22LR/12 ga.) and finally took it to the range yesterday. Out of the box (and after a VERY thorough cleaning...man, was that bore cruddy), the first six shots with the .22 were at dead center at 25 yards and grouped about 2" (obviously I'm going to have to break the barrel in yet). I bet it would have been 1" if the rifle were scoped or if the "iron" sights weren't so crappy.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the rifle/shotgun so far in terms of accuracy and appearance. I would say that the quality of the workmanship of the gun is about 85 - 90% of an NEF combo I used to own. For $140, you can't beat this combo with a stick. I also fired a few slugs from the 12 gauge barrel, just too see how it would kick, since it's very light as a shotgun (5.25 pounds). It kicked hard, but was manageable, and I will be taking it squirrel/rabbit hunting next week (not with slugs, mind you ;) )

I also own a stainless-steel Ruger 10/22 with a Houge stock and pretty decent scope, but for some reason I enjoy shooting "old-fashioned" guns like the single-shot Rossi much more. If it turns out to be a real shooter after break-in, I might even get rid of the Ruger!

Just thought I'd share my thoughts/experiences.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
I also own a stainless-steel Ruger 10/22 with a Houge stock and pretty decent scope,
Minus the scope, I have one of those in my .22 collection, too. :D Love that overmolded stock. ;)

Buddy of mine got a Rossi .22, shoots about 1" with Federal cheap stuff at 25 yards. Might still have some crud in there or something?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bore on my Rossi .22 was REALLY dark and cruddy. It took so long to clean it, I actually had to stop to do something else and then continue cleaning the next day! But once it was clean, it was as bright as a mirror. Tell your buddy to clean that bore like hell until he's SURE it's clean...hehehe. Also make sure it's broken in. I recently read a post somewhere where a guy put about 500 rounds through his, and after that it was a sweet shooter.

I'm sure my open-sighted groups would have been smaller if the sight picture were better. Just hard to get everything lined up. I plan to scope the rifle and break it in with a few hundred shots. Then I'll know for sure how well she can do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I picked up a Rossi matched pair .22 WMR / 12 ga. in the zippered case to use as a survival firearm for the baggage compartment of the airplane.

I just bought it and stuck it in there...can't say I spent much time cleaning it. Just enough to get the manufacturing grease/oil off and put some ammo in the pouch.

For it's intended purpose, I think it would serve well in the unlikely event it is called upon for action.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I bought a 22/410 for my 7 yo last year, got his first squirel with it this fall. Dicks had them for $99 so couldn't pass it up, I should have bought one for me to. Might get him a Rossi muzzleloader as well. Haven't shot the 22 barrel enough to see what it can do for accuracy. David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts