Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a local gun range where a neighbor guided me through my first shooting experience. He started me off on a .22 he brought in order to get me used to shooting (good idea!). My first shots all made it to the paper plate from about 15 feet, with a few even hitting the bulls eye. Then I switched to my own new purchase, a Tracker 627 .357 mag. I shot several rounds of .38's and then finally went to the "biggies" and shot some .357's. Accuracy was better on the lower caliber, but I still got all my shots on the target and most in the paper plate. Quite an experience. It gave me confidence that if I had to defend against a home invader (or a big cat out on the trail) I could stop the aggressor. I had been practicing my grip and stance based on videos from Masaad Ayoob and had been using a Laserlyte in dry firing to get a sense of whether my aim was on target. I know most of you have been shooting for years, but these were literally the first guns I've ever shot and at age 66 it feels like a big hurdle to have jumped. Next month I finally get to take a basic handgun course.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Never to late to pick up a great hobby! And...at the same time protect yourself and loved ones from this increasingly crazy world out there! Congrats!

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I always like to say it's like learning to drive. You've got to work at it a bit before you're comfortable. Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Congratulations sounds like you had a good time. Stay safe an be sure to use snap caps in your dry firing drills.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a productive outing! :)

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Congrats, sounds like you had a good time.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Welcome to the addictive world of firearms.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Fantastic!!

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
Congrats, sounds like a great time.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Congrat's and enjoy!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Congratulations and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! Shooting is a lot of fun and a great stress
reliever. It also teaches concentration and focus and of course it is very useful if you ever have
to defend yourself. Keep up the good work!

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Clark,

Most excellent! Agree with those who describe our passion and activities as addictive! No, not those activities . . .

You will probably learn, as we have, that a bad day at the range can be better than a good day at the office. But, you mention your age at 66YO - so your office is probably LARGE?

It really is fun. I honestly believe that if we could take every anti-gunner for just one day at the range, we would have a lot less antis to worry about.

Shoot safe, shoot often and share the sport. My personal goal is to introduce 2-3 additional people per year to the shooting sports.

Again, Congratulations and keep it up!!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Howdy for west Texas, and enjoy the, new to you, world of shooting.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Clark,

Most excellent! Agree with those who describe our passion and activities as addictive! No, not those activities . . .

You will probably learn, as we have, that a bad day at the range can be better than a good day at the office. But, you mention your age at 66YO - so your office is probably LARGE?

It really is fun. I honestly believe that if we could take every anti-gunner for just one day at the range, we would have a lot less antis to worry about.

Shoot safe, shoot often and share the sport. My personal goal is to introduce 2-3 additional people per year to the shooting sports.

AWESOME Clark!! And Daytonaredeye, nice post. I have a friend who is starting to shoot because of me so that's cool. In the past 12 months he has bought a rifle and handgun and is looking for his next handgun. I do believe you are correct in that we COULD convert at least those who are neutral in this debate.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clark,

Thanks, Daytonaredeye, for the words of encouragement...and thanks also to all the rest of you. I look forward to learning personally what you all already know.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Clark,

Thanks for sharing this most memorable event with us.

From what I read, you have one very special friend in the buddy who took you under his "wing" at the range.

Regards,
Harry

Reactions: Clark
1 - 20 of 29 Posts