Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a reloader and have been for almost 50 years. I bought 2 TCPs for the women in the family to use when needed. One of them will be my backup pocket carry gun. I just liked the looks and features of the TCP, so I bought two.

I loaded up 50 once fired cases with 100 gr Barrys round nose flat base bullets and 4.0 gr of Unique. Oal set at .980. I shot those today without any problems. No failures to load, no failures to fire and no magazine problems. These guns are working perfect for me. They are both "E" models that I just bought in January of 2015. I carry 1 of them in a pocket holster in my front jeans pocket and nobody has even noticed that they are there.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I love mine! Sweet trigger, and mine eats reloads as well.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Congrats on your TCPs. I have one and love it. I have an Uncle George holster that I use in my back pocket. No one ever knows it is there. And welcome to TA!

·
22,317 Posts
The TCP is an exceptional pistol. Fully agree. Glad your Es are working out so well; my C is too.

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
I am a reloader and have been for almost 50 years. I bought 2 TCPs for the women in the family to use when needed. One of them will be my backup pocket carry gun. I just liked the looks and features of the TCP, so I bought two.

I loaded up 50 once fired cases with 100 gr Barrys round nose flat base bullets and 4.0 gr of Unique. Oal set at .980. I shot those today without any problems. No failures to load, no failures to fire and no magazine problems. These guns are working perfect for me. They are both "E" models that I just bought in January of 2015. I carry 1 of them in a pocket holster in my front jeans pocket and nobody has even noticed that they are there.
That is great news, I am getting ready to load some plated bullets in .380 as well, not much load data out there for them, I was debating on an OAL to use. Was going to try .960 to start, think I will bump that up to .980 based on your results. I'll be using Bullseye, have not decided on a starting load yet. Did you get any Chrony numbers on your load?

·
Banned
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a crony, but the book I got the load data from said the load the FPS @ approximately 875.

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
I don't have a crony, but the book I got the load data from said the load the FPS @ approximately 875.
What book was that? I could only find data for hollow points or round nose. I planned on using the round nose data and adjusting the OAL best I could.

·
Banned
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What book was that? I could only find data for hollow points or round nose. I planned on using the round nose data and adjusting the OAL best I could.
What is the bullet weight you are going to load with Bullseye?

I have an older Hornady book, 3rd edition.

Barrys site says you can use FMJ data with limits on vol., I would have to look it up but I think the limit is 1000 or 1050 Fps.

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
What is the bullet weight you are going to load with Bullseye?

I have an older Hornady book, 3rd edition.

Barrys site says you can use FMJ data with limits on vol., I would have to look it up but I think the limit is 1000 or 1050 Fps.
So basically use the same method I planned, powder charge for 100 gr standard bullet and adjust the OAL to maintain the same case volume. I plan on using the 100 gr Xtreme plated bullet.

·
Banned
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So basically use the same method I planned, powder charge for 100 gr standard bullet and adjust the OAL to maintain the same case volume. I plan on using the 100 gr Xtreme plated bullet.
Data from my edition 3 Hornady book, keep in mind some newer books may have reduced the max loads.

100 gr bullet, Bullseye powder: Starting load 2.6 gr @ 750 fps. Next 2.8 gr @ 800 fps, Next 3.0 gr @ 850 fps, Next 3.2 gr @ 900 fps, Next 3.4 gr @ 950 fps, MAX LOAD = 3.6 gr @ 1000 fps. Newer Books may show MAX LOAD @ a lower charge.

100 gr Round nose minimum OAL = .980

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
Data from my edition 3 Hornady book, keep in mind some newer books may have reduced the max loads.

100 gr bullet, Bullseye powder: Starting load 2.6 gr @ 750 fps. Next 2.8 gr @ 800 fps, Next 3.0 gr @ 850 fps, Next 3.2 gr @ 900 fps, Next 3.4 gr @ 950 fps, MAX LOAD = 3.6 gr @ 1000 fps. Newer Books may show MAX LOAD @ a lower charge.
Thanks, I use Loaddata.com to get a lot of loads and that is in line with what I am seeing there. My one factor to figure out was OAL, which you helped out with in your original post. I'll load a couple up tomorrow and test them over a chrony.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Awesome news! I plan on using reloads from freedommunitions.com. Glad to hear that the TCP will swallow them.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
That is great news, I am getting ready to load some plated bullets in .380 as well, not much load data out there for them, I was debating on an OAL to use. Was going to try .960 to start, think I will bump that up to .980 based on your results. I'll be using Bullseye, have not decided on a starting load yet. Did you get any Chrony numbers on your load?
FYI--I load the Extreme 100 grain flat point at 3.5 grains of Unique at a OAL of .980
thats for target loads I use Modern Hollow points for carry, I believe that you are already loading those?
I load Raniers/Berry plated projectiles at the same weight /measurements

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
FYI--I load the Extreme 100 grain flat point at 3.5 grains of Unique at a OAL of .980
thats for target loads I use Modern Hollow points for carry, I believe that you are already loading those?
I load Raniers/Berry plated projectiles at the same weight /measurements
Yes, I have been loading the 90 gr XTP for a while now, I really like that round in the TCP. Very accurate and I get consistent FPS using Bullseye.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Yes, I have been loading the 90 gr XTP for a while now, I really like that round in the TCP. Very accurate and I get consistent FPS using Bullseye.
MY preferred reload carry ammo as well in all my 380's.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
4,702 Posts

I had to drop the OAL for JHP to .955 to get them to feed properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts