Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Shot a Glock today...

4K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  smithlock 
#1 ·
I rented a Glock 17 today at the range. I own a 24/7 and it was interesting seeing the differences and similarities between the two. The Glock seemed a little lighter, and I really, really liked the trigger pull on it. I can't really judge its accuracy since I'm not really familiar enough with it, but I have to say, I'm a big fan now :). In my opinion, the 24/7 grip beats the Glock's grip hands down though. :thumb:

Anyone else have any thoughts/opinions on the Glock?

#2 ·
Obviously the Glock is a solid gun, otherwise so many cops wouldn't carry them. Your main consideration is the lack of any active safety. That is a deal-breaker to some, while to others it's no big deal. I too love the Taurus grip, that is what sold me on buying the 24/7 Pro.

#3 ·
I have owned many many handguns in my lifetime. I have owned and fired the Glock as well. It's a well built pistol, however, I personally prefer the Taurus 24/7 over any Glock. (I'm not bashing Glock). I also prefer my SA XD .40 SC over my Taurus. It's my main CC weapon in summer, and my Taurus is my main CC in the fall, winter.

I have never been able to get accurate groups from the Glocks, and I've tried many of them, while others seem to do well. (Retired Scout Sniper USMC) so it's not an experience item with me. I can take my Taurus 24/7 .40 and shoot 3 inch groups at 40 yards consistently (don't tell me I can't because I can consistently do it). With the Glock, I can't do this at 15 yards.

With the XD I can shoot 3 inch groups at 15 yards and it's a subcompact!

The Glock is a solid gun, but not for me, and not for many that I know. The safety, as stated by TexasTaurusGuy is a deal breaker to me as well. I like the XD's grip safety, this is my main choice in all handguns that I now own, or have previously owned. I have practiced many, many hours drawing my taurus and taking the safety off at draw, and have become quite proficient at it, but I also like point and fire.

#4 ·
I've owned a Glock 17 since 1990. I agree with everything said above, good and bad. My 27/7 is a better gun, IMO. I have never felt Glock's "trigger safety" to be a reliable way of preventing an AD. It always reminded me of accidentally serving a Rum-and-Coke to an alcoholic and then telling him to just drink the Coke. Sorry if that analogy is a bit obtuse, but it works for me.

#5 ·
For me, my Glock 19 is my most accurate handgun I own. And it's 15 years old with well over 100,000 rounds through it. The hexagonal barrel rifling which Glock employs, IMO, is superior to any conventional polygonal rifling.

I guess I just have a soft spot for Glocks since I've been carrying one on duty for so many years. Soft spot or not, not one of my Glocks has ever failed me in any way whatsoever.

Most people I talk to either love them or hate them---although recently, there have been a few on middle ground concerning this issue.

#6 ·
NYPD in AZ said:
although recently, there have been a few on middle ground concerning this issue.
Count me in "the higher middle ground." If Glock had a different safety, and made them in SS, I'd be a bigger Glock fan. Though I prefer SS, a Glock's Parkerized finish is tops. It withstood 10 years in a damp marine environment on my sailboat.

When I first started looking for a small .45 for a CCW, the Glock 36 was 1st on my list. But as I looked further at different makes and models and considered the compromises, as a total package the Taurus PT-145 in SS came out on top. Glock has many aspects that favor it and I would never fault anyone for preferring their Glock.

My only point is to consider all your options before making your decision. We all have different wants, needs and life experiences.

#7 ·
Can't get the Glock's, not even the slimmed lined new ones, to fit the hand. Otherwise I'd have at least 1 or 2.

Went and bought the Springfield 4 in. XD with night sights. Fits better,takes a bit of getting used to, but it's been a good experience so far.

#8 ·
While I can shoot them, Glocks take more work to me. The angle of the grip isn't good for me, and it doesn't point naturally.

Glock is like any other pistol. They work for some, and not for others. What I really don't care for is Glock's insistence that problems with the pistol are always the fault of the operator, or the ammunition. Yet, they will quietly introduce running changes to the models that, surprisingly, deal with the non-problem.

To each his/her own. :D

#9 ·
Personally I prefer M&P over Glock. It fits my hand MUCH better, IMO it has a nicer trigger and better sights! After I polished the slide flats and removed the beavertail now it's a looker too. 8)

but Glock was the first centerfire handgun/firearm I've ever shot... but I've never owned one mainly because I don't like the grip, otherwise I'd get a G20 or G29.

#10 ·
I have Mill-Pro PT-145, 3rd Gen. Like it a lot and trust it as a carry gun. I also have a Glock 19, 2nd Gen. Love it and completely trust it! I've had it for about nine yrs, put thousands of rounds through it with very few jams. It's not a bad shooter either.
I'm more comfortable with the Glock for home defense, but prefer the Taurus for conceal carry, because of the safety. But each person has their preferences in weaps, so whatever your comfortable with:)

#13 ·
There's something about the Glock grip that doesn't fit me...I have a Glock 23 and I find it a great handgun but after I got my PT640 PRO the Glock grip seems a bit loose for me. IMO the PT640 PRO's grip really fits my hand.

#15 ·
glocks..

they're sold guns, reliable, reasonably priced, gotta love their magazine interchangeability a lot of other makers out there could learn from their example.

with that said i dont like them.. this is'nt to say they're bad i just dont like them.

polymer, ok not a deal breaker.. i have a hi-point and plan on getting a milpro but i definately prefer metal.

striker design.. no 2nd strike ability.

grip angle is wrong.. feels a bit like a bananna to me.

no manual safety.. again not a deal breaker but i like having manual safety.

trigger.. absolutely posotively hate two piece triggers.. this goes for XD's, M&P's and sigmas.

the XD's are or already have came out with manual safety's.. course they also have the grip safety those are good i would'nt mind not having a manual safety if it has a grip safety thats good enough for me, but havening both is even better, i do not consider trigger safety's as an actual safety "action safety" is bogus imo.

if the XD's came out with a solid trigger, but kept the grip and (or) manual safety i would'nt mind having one of those.

only way i'll ever own a glock is if someone's gettin rid of one real cheap, like crack head prices, even though they're fine guns i've no desire to own one.

#16 ·
IMO, Glocks are the most reliable pistol made. Being that said, there are others that fits hands better. Should Glock ever change their grip angle and add back straps, NOTHING could ever compare. Just the new offerings address some of Glocks biggest complaints. But none have come close to their reliablilty and simplicity. I have owned 4 Glocks, I own 2 now and love them. I shoot them well, but have gotten used to the grip. So much so, other guns don't feel right.....which is pretty much every gun out there.

#17 ·
Don't get me started on Glock changing grip angles, back straps, etc. I posted a thread back around February about companies that coast on their success, and Glock was my example. The arguments I heard were that they are the best combat pistol, bar none, and I don't disagree with that, but why not keep trying to improve your product? Just my opinion.

#23 ·
I am truly “middle of the road” regarding Glocks. My only experience has been with the models 17 and 19 and they did exactly what they were intended to do; put bullets down range with no fuss or bother. Yes, the grips were unique and I felt the trigger pull a bit long but nothing that I couldn’t grow accustomed to. Ironically many of the reasons some of you have listed NOT to buy a Glock where the same reasons I looked long and hard before deciding to purchase a Steyr M9-A1. By the way, the Steyr was designed by a senior Glock engineer, is also manufactured in Austria and only costs a few more dollars than the Glock. You might say they are kissing cousins. Glock and Steyr offer a true Combat semi-auto. I wanted an auto loader that had the same characteristics as revolver. Namely, no safeties and no magazine disconnect. If the weapon is in battery, it’s lethal. If I ever had to defend myself or family (God forbid that day ever arrives) I don’t want to go through a litany of safety devices to arm myself. I want to keep it as simple as possible. Insert magazine, chamber round, pull trigger. Glock must be doing something right judging by the number of handguns they’ve sold in their rather short history.

#25 ·
there have been a few on middle ground concerning this issue.
lol...I am part of that too now :D

I shot one a while back and did really well, then shot my Tracker and could not hit dirt :rolleyes:
It was my buddies Glock..thought I would show him how to shoot..Oooopppsss :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

Big difference between Glock and a revolver..lol :D :D

I will say I liked the Glock..could never shoot them before, but this time I could..Go Figure :???: 8)

#26 ·
I just recently purchased two glocks. The trigger does take some getting used to, but they are very accurate and reliable. IMO you get great accuracy and reliability for under 500 bucks and a nearly unliimited amount of aftermarket stuff. Thats hard to beat. As for the taurus I think you get an exceptional pistol for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.