Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had my PT-1911 for about two weeks and had been anxiously waiting to put a few rounds through it. Well, yesterday was the day.

I had passed it around to my buddies since I had been talking to them about it for so long and handed each one mag. The 2nd guy in had one of my aftermarket mags and I guess he didnt seat it all the way because although it fed the first two rounds, they both werent seated fully (the 2nd getting mushroomed to the barrel).

After successfully field stripping where we stood I got the casing out and reassembled the gun, not thinking anything else of it. About 30mins later I went to put on the safety and when i looked down I noticed the right side was missing.
rounding everyone up we were able to track it down within 5 minutes. I just put the safety on, and pressed the lever into the hole make sure it stayed in place.

My question is this:

1. Are the ambi-safeties just held in by tension?

Browsing the forums for an answer, I came across another thread mentioning replacing the ambi-safety with a shorter one to minimize the grip modifications. Looking at the picture, I noticed mine matched the replacement rather than the original.

While I picked up my firearm @ a gunshow on Oct 25th, is was marked as new, had no visible wear, and all was in order inside the case (including reg card, stickers, etc).

2. Was/is the shortened safety an option from Taurus or did I some how end up with a different one?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The safety is what I usually seem as a Swenson safety... named for a famous gun smith of a generation ago. Actually the safety is held in my the tab that fits under the right hand grip. Shortening the safety would be of not value in this regard... only for fitting such grips as the lastermax grips.

One hint is to press the back of the grip together periodically. I find that the edge and vee assembly is dependent on the friction of the vee part of the right hand safety. I have no idea if anything like loctite would help, but I have found that at the beginning of shooting and periodically I will just simply squeeze and so far I've not had anything fall out... even though I'm thinking the tab should keep things in place.

Another option... replace the ambi-safety with a left hand safety unless you are left handed... check out the thread New owner and need of a part on suggestions to do that yourself. Then you don't have that problem to worry with at all!

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts