Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to take on a project to shorten my old model 20. I will be sure to stay over 18 inches and will be keeping the stocks. Just making the last resort SHTF weapon from one I haven't shot in over 20 years. I will get some before and after pics as I go. 9mm, 45 and 12 guage should do nicely. Not only that but shotgun rounds are still easy to find.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I shortened the exact same gun a couple years back. The easiest way to do it is to stick a dowel rod down the barrel with the bolt closed, mark it with a sharpie, measure 18 1/2" from the same end that was against the closed bolt and make another mark. The distance between the two is what you remove from the barrel. I used a hacksaw and then a file followed by some 800 grit (I think, dont remember the sandpaper for sure) and a little cold blue on a Q-tip, looks pretty proffessional. P2050633.jpg
I also added a $30 light off ebay with a pressure swith velcroed to the slide where you naturally grasp it.

Reactions: Stroker

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Got the job done finally. Took this gun apart completely for the first time I am aware of and did a full clean, lube and cold blue, not super dark, just put some color back in the old girl. Shortened the barrel to 20 inches and added a front site to the rail. It doesn't look half bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Curious to the length of the shortened barrel ? Why 18 1/2" or 20" ?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to stay over 18 inches to stay legal. Anything under can lead to loss of the gun if not registered before altering. I went to 20 inches because that is where I had a support for the vented rib on the backbone of the gun. I could have gone back to the next support, but the front edge of it was right on the 18 inch mark and I didn't want to temp fate.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Looks like you did a very good job. Did your M20 have the adjustable choke on the front? I had a model 20 that originally belonged to my Papaw. I just gave it to my youngest son, for his (early) 30th B-day

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Now you just need to take it to a gunsmith and get it fitted for screw in chokes. You do still need a choke, you know.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like you did a very good job. Did your M20 have the adjustable choke on the front? I had a model 20 that originally belonged to my Papaw. I just gave it to my youngest son, for his (early) 30th B-day
Mine did have the poly choke. Hated to cut it off really.

Now you just need to take it to a gunsmith and get it fitted for screw in chokes. You do still need a choke, you know.

I am going to pattern it. For the distance I will likely use it I doubt it is needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts