Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll..

I have a PT111, and while I always liked the way the gun felt in my hands, I didn't shoot it as well as I did my hubby's Beretta 92FS. I was really starting to dislike the pistol, and thought the pistol was shooting to the left, and my sights needed re-adjusting.

Well, after asking the range master to check my sights, he watched me shoot, and I was not holding the pistol correctly!! After I tried it his way, I blew that little X out!!

;)

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Congratulations! I had the same kind of problems. I checked out everything, and finally after almost 500 rds, got my grip changed using Handall Jr. (it keeps my hand high on the grip), and I qualified for CCW with it, and am very happy with POA and POI being very close.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Congrats on the good shooting. Something to remember here is the 92 does have a barrel length advantage. About 5" compared to 3.25".

·
Registered
153 Posts
Short barrel guns are more difficult to shoot accurately. The thing I have found is that I was "jerking" the trigger a bit when firing, which caused my accuracy to fall. A little concentration and learning to "squeeze" the trigger smoothly helped my accuracy tremendously.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone!! I was having a problem "tilting" when I shot..he said it was because the handle is so much more lighter than the barrel...I also heard about the longer barrel length helping me to be more accurate.

No matter, I was shooting great, and now wanna go everyday!!!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
SCGirl said:
No matter, I was shooting great, and now wanna go everyday!!!
Do you think you could have a woman to woman talk with my wife? She doesn't have any interest in shooting. Just kidding. She might like it and I would spend much more money on ammo.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sure Paul..I wasn't that in to it right away, then I decided to go to the range with the hubby, and give it a try. I work on the "bad" side of town, and someone was robbed in the lobby of our office building

...then I heard a man was found dead at the bank across the street(suposedly killed somewhere else and dumped there), there was a shooting behind my building..and the homeless are constantly trying to break in to sleep at night.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
She has shot a few times with me but doesn't like my .40. I admit it's too much gun for her but she doesn't want to shoot my 9mm either. Now when I shoot I go with her dad.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted the Taurus 1911 so bad, it has those great crimson trace laser grips, and I ran out and bought it. I shot it ONCE and the recoil scared the heck out of me, I never shot it again, and now my husband has a nice new pistol!

Maybe now that I have my grip down pat, I can try it again..

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
SCGirl said:
I wanted the Taurus 1911 so bad, it has those great crimson trace laser grips, and I ran out and bought it. I shot it ONCE and the recoil scared the heck out of me, I never shot it again, and now my husband has a nice new pistol!

Maybe now that I have my grip down pat, I can try it again..
For him, all I can say is darn it!! :D For you I can say :) go for it. I have heard their great. Not sure I will get one, but you never know. :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my husband loves it, and says it is now his favorite pistol, and his main carry. I would not carry a pistol that big, my PT111 is just fine for that, or my tomcat. I just wannabe able to shoot it without it scaring the heck outta me!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I have a PT 1911 and because of the weight of it and the Pachmayr American Legend grips, the recoil is comparable to my 24/7 in .40. Give it another shot. I really like mine and it is very accurate too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will...now that I have my grip down pat, I might just go ahead and try it. Husband also has a Para Ordinance thats a .45, might try that one, but he is having problems with extraction.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
How does he like the Para compared to the Pt1911. I know you said the Pt1911 was his favorite but, is the Para his #2? I ask cuz I thought about getting one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, the para is having extracting problems, and he is NOT happy with it right now. he is attempting to fix it, but might end up taking it to a professional..It jams like every 3rd shot...not fun!

·
Administrator
17,921 Posts
If your Husband's Para-Ordnance has a typical 1911 Extractor, have him modify his Para's Extractor with the Extractor Modifications shown on this Web-page: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm and/or replace the Extractor with a Bill Wilson Custom Extractor. The Barrel's Chamber may also need to be polished slightly, if it is rough and grabby. Hopefully, that will cure it of it's bad habits. ;D If not, send it back to Para-Ordnances Customer Service, if still under Warranty.

Had a Para-Ordnance P14 for awhile and it was a nice handgun.

Glad you're getting used to your PT111 and Hope you can get used to your PT1911!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I went to the range last sunday took my wife with me she was excited about shooting for the first time but she got scared. see shes never seen a gun fire let alone hear a gun shot after hearing the gunshots she decided to just watch me from behind the glass ok guys any suggestions? but she hasnt ruled it out completely.so there is some hope.

·
Administrator
39,915 Posts
Start her out with a .22 and work her way up. My wife hates shotguns, but she can use one. She got used to .22's and can even tolerate 9mm. and .38 revolvers. But she really just has no interest. :(

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Thanks Smoke im gonna give that a shot.Luckily she hasnt lost interest.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My Para LTC had a grabby chamber. A trip back to the Para shop in Tennessee for a chamber polish has that thing feeding and extracting anything I try to feed it. I went from hating to loving that pistol after that.

--jcd

jwc007 said:
If your Husband's Para-Ordnance has a typical 1911 Extractor, have him modify his Para's Extractor with the Extractor Modifications shown on this Web-page: http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm and/or replace the Extractor with a Bill Wilson Custom Extractor. The Barrel's Chamber may also need to be polished slightly, if it is rough and grabby. Hopefully, that will cure it of it's bad habits. ;D If not, send it back to Para-Ordnances Customer Service, if still under Warranty.

Had a Para-Ordnance P14 for awhile and it was a nice handgun.

Glad you're getting used to your PT111 and Hope you can get used to your PT1911!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts