Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it's me or the gun yet so I will ask.

Shot again tonight for the 2nd time, and my shots seem to be off to the right. I am aiming the sits so that the top front sight is flush with the rear sights.. Is this correct?
Sorry if that sounds stupid but this is my first firearm.

I shoot left so the one guy at the range said I could be pulling the trigger causing it to flintch right,,, IE: I am pulling the trigger and pulling it to the right causing the gun to go to the right?

If I do find out that maybe my sights are a little off.. How would I adjust or correct the sights, so that if I am aiming directly at the center of a bullseye and it shoots right, would I move the front sight to the left or the rear sight to the right..etc?

Agian, this could be ME... but I'm just looking for input? I seem to shoot a 9mm much more accurately at the range today, and I feel like that is because it has less recoil. I DO enjoy shooting the pt1911 a LOT! Just want to figure out what's going on with my aiming.

I have it set at 15feet... 20ft seems a little too far honestly and I can't really aquire see the shots to adjust so I move the target closer at 15 and was able to what I thought was adjusting while shooting, but it wasn't as great as what I thought it should be.

Any tips or tricks that someone could lend to better aquire or use the sight?

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Registered
37 Posts
The sights are adjustable for windage by moving the rear sight sideways in the slide. The front sight can also be moved as a last resort but wasn’t intended to be adjusted that way. As a rule for changing your point of impact, move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. Example, if the bullet needs to go right the rear sight needs to go right. When adjusting the front sight it is just the opposite, if the bullet needs to go right move the front sight to the left. My gun was hitting the target left of center and after inspecting the rear sight it was obviously not centered in the slide.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Sight Alignment, Sight Picture....focus on the front sight, squeeze the trigger straight back and you should shoot center mass..

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Right handed shooters have a tendency to shoot low left, Left handed shooters have a tendency to shoot low right.

To satisfy yourself as to where the gun is sighted in for, rest the front frame area on a sand bag or three on a bench and then see where it hits.

Reactions: oso and olfarhors

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Bench rest it for 5 to 10 shots aim at the same spot pay attention to your trigger pull slow and steady, once you have a consistent point of impact with in a couple inches. Now you know where your hitting in comparison to where you are aiming. Know if you are hitting where you were aiming it's your trigger pull and just need practice if not adjust your sights in the fashion Confederado stated above until you achieve your desired POI point of impact.

Also make sure you place the center of the pad of your finger tip on the trigger the front part of your pad on the trigger used to depress the trigger will cause what is called a push, this will cause you to push the gun in the direction your finger is pointing. If your finger is to far in almost to the knuckle it will cause what is called pulling which will cause you to pull the gun in the direction of your grip hand.

Here are a couple videos that may help also.

Shooting Techniques

Sight Adjustment Basics

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Click this: 3949Target_chart.gif

It is a useful diagnostic target.

Aim at the center when shooting. Where your rounds hit will give you an idea of what might be happening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts