Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Taurus Friends. First post on this forum. I have just recently bought myself a new 709 Slim and have a question I hope you good folks can help me out with. First, let me just say that I've got a few years under my belt. Spent 25 in the military. Have shot competitive pistol for years so I have a fairly decent understanding of the mechanics of pistol shooting. That said, there is always something to learn from folks who have been there and done that.
My problem is that (don't laugh) I just can't shoot this dang pistol :). I mean it works wonderfully, but I'm torqueing the heck out of it some kind of way I suspect. I've tried every hand hold, finger grip, trigger finger position I can think of and I'm still throwing them low and left.
Just to make sure it was me and not the pistol, I asked my brother, who BTW, has shot a pistol very little, to give it a try and he puts every round in the center of the bull.
I used to pride myself on my pistol shooting skills, but not anymore. I'm flubbing something up bad. Any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well welcome, I imagine you've shot a lot of full size pistols and with the 709 being a short barrel compact its a all new ball game. It will come with time I've put 300 rounds through mine and still find myself low and left

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same problem shooting mine at first. First try adding a grip extension if you have large hands, grip handle very tightly, bend your elbows so they point down and out a bit at the sides. I also tried to pull the trigger slowly till the travel was taken up then pull to fire. Once I did these things my accuracy improved greatly. Just a few tweaks on the adjustable sights and the weapon groups well at 5 yards. I have heard on here and found out that it takes a great familiarity to shoot this weapon accurately. Keep practicing. Good luck.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,720 Posts
Postage stamp Font
what they said, practice, practice, practice. It will be nice dependable weapon when you get this worked out.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Welcome from West Texas the TaurusArmed family is pretty neat. I have a 709 and was low left but I'm getting better. You might get some snapcaps and practice with them to work the trigger in it helped with mine. Have you checked the weight of trigger pull it should be about 7lbs single action and 9lbs double action?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas. I figured it was just a matter of getting use to the small frame and short sight radius. It was just a little disconcerting to have my "little" brother whup me like that. I'll never hear the end of that from him either. :) Haven't checked trigger pull yet. I'll pull the gauge out and see what it's reading. Snap caps is a good idea. I'll be getting some of those too. Thanks again, appreciate your help.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Had the same issue of shooting low. I removed the rear sight elevation screw, applied a drop of red locktite to it and then turned it all the way down which adjusted the sight all the way up. Took the 709 out after the locktite was set up and lined up the sights. It's dead-on accurate @ 7 yards. Pretty amazing.

To loosen the locktite, I use a hobby heat gun (from Tower Hobbies) or you could probably use a hair dryer to heat up the area as needed to loosen the screw. Then you can readjust the elevation screw to wherever you want it. I left mine all the way up and it makes a big difference for me.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My problem with the 709 was all trigger control. It was all me. The SA should be higher then the DA in this little gun. Benchrest it if you can and you'll find out for sure if it's you or the gun. My buddy could shoot it better then me and he's a terrible shot. I ended up selling it because there are other sub compacts in the market that are just a lot easier and natural for me to shoot. I disagree with the entire world about practice, practice, practice with a CCW to get good at it. In a high stress situation (the reason we buy these things) you're not going to take your time, think about making everything right then taking a shot. Hope it works out better for you. I truly feel it's a fine product and easily the best in it's price range.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had similar problem with my 740. Took a couple trips to the range and about a hundred rounds to work it out.
I found I was rushing my trigger squeeze and by slowing down just a fraction I got it under
control.
Hope this helps. Keep at it.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
You are right that the small frame does take some getting used to when shooting the 709. The things that helped me most where to shoot it with a two handed grip and squeeze hard with both hands. Your shooting hand should apply pressure on the front and back strap and your support hand should be applying pressure to the sides of the gun. With your arms extended in the shooting position, turn your elbows outward, pointing them to the side instead of down. This will help stabilize your arms and thus the gun from the recoil. Focus on the front sight and pull the trigger straight back slowly and use just the pad of your finger on the trigger as opposed to your first joint of the finger.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Welcome from Dallas, TX!
My 709 is my every day carry, and like many others, I had the same problem. I shot it from bench rest, and found I had to adjust the rear sight a bit, but the biggest difference maker to me was ensuring I used only the pad of my trigger finger (not the first joint).

It's dead on at 10 yards now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
All Taurus pistols shoot low and right to me, but then I'm a left handed shooter forced by the Air Force Security Police instructor to shoot right handed. As I recall, he said, "Boy, we ain't got no left handed holsters!" Of course that was back when we were armed with S&W Model 15 revolvers. Shot competitively in the Air Force and in civilian law enforcement and never switch back. I'm also stuck as a cross-dominant shooter. I bought a 709 slim and a 740 slim a year or so ago due to their conceal ability. Found both to be challenging. As mentioned previously, the Pierce Grip extensions help, especially on the 740. I find when one applies a firm consistent grasp with both hands, also as mentioned previously, but without choking the grip, and works the trigger gently using the pad like one does in Bullseye shooting, the pistol can deliver 4" - 6" groups at 25 yards from a sandbag rest. My 709 had a trigger problem (bent trigger bar) making the pull greater than 8lbs. (That was the max my gauge would measure.) Sent it off to Taurus. Got it back in a couple of weeks with a 3 lbs pull. Made a world of difference in accuracy. I also found that practice and drills help a lot, particularly drills that require frequent holster draw and fire where I'm having to get the same purchase on the pistol with my shooting hand consistently. I also started using the dimples in the frame to place my thumb of my non-shooting hand. That also seems to help. Also concur with those who recommend, "practice, practice, practice..." Good luck and thank you for your service. Welcome to the forum.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,720 Posts
My problem with the 709 was all trigger control. It was all me. The SA should be higher then the DA in this little gun. Benchrest it if you can and you'll find out for sure if it's you or the gun. My buddy could shoot it better then me and he's a terrible shot. I ended up selling it because there are other sub compacts in the market that are just a lot easier and natural for me to shoot. I disagree with the entire world about practice, practice, practice with a CCW to get good at it. In a high stress situation (the reason we buy these things) you're not going to take your time, think about making everything right then taking a shot. Hope it works out better for you. I truly feel it's a fine product and easily the best in it's price range.
And with the utmost respect, that's the reason I practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
My rear sight never stayed put. Advantage Tactical sights solved that for me. The gun is much more in the "keeper" column now than it was. Quick target acquisition and one less factor to worry about is a good thing!!

·
Registered
751 Posts
And with the utmost respect, that's the reason I practice, practice, practice.
Sorry, I'll never advise someone to practice their way into making a gun fit them unless they've exhausted their other options. Too high of stakes for me to say something like that. In my experience simply getting the right gun that fits ME can make all the difference between constantly having to work at something and natural ease of use. In a real world situation everyone should have a firearm that is the easiest to shoot for them. When you find THAT gun then you practice, practice, practice. He explained his experience well and sounds like a good shot. I thing he needs to try other subs before settling on this one.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Welcome and glad you figured it out. For me, it was the longer trigger pull that threw me off.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
My guess is that you are pulling the trigger far to fast. Slow down.

Do this drill. (It will help but will drive you nuts)

Load, get on target then move the trigger back just a tad bit then hold it there for a count of 10-15 seconds. Then move the trigger back a tad bit more and HOLD it there for 10-15 seconds MORE. Repeat a total of 3-5 times until the gun goes bang. Slow trigger manipulation will help you stay on target. At least it does for me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts