Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if shooting only standard pressure JHP during ranger time would be cause for serious concern? I'm thinking why buy bulk FMJ for the range only. Why not buy bulk JPH and shoot those only? Yes, more cost but less self defense concerns since I don't carry FMJ for SD.

Help me clarify! Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your theory is false. SD JHP vary as much as the difference between FMJ and JHP. So, those bulk JHP are not the same as you would buy for SD. Range time is accuracy time. Buy the lower cost FMJ. This is my opinion. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Wondering if shooting only standard pressure JHP during ranger time would be cause for serious concern? I'm thinking why buy bulk FMJ for the range only. Why not buy bulk JPH and shoot those only? Yes, more cost but less self defense concerns since I don't carry FMJ for SD.

Help me clarify! Thanks for the kind words.
Serious concern as in damage to the handgun? It shouldn't be as long as it's standard pressure. It's not going to make any difference practice wise one way or the other, if the "practice" JHP isn't your defensive ammo, it's still not going to shoot to the exact same point of aim, or be a valid reliability test, any more than ball ammo. The ideal would be if the bulk HP ammo also happened to be good defense ammo, which happens sometimes in some calibers.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
What JHP are you talking about? There are JHP bullets that do not expand and are not intended as self defense ammo, their main purpose is range/competition shooting.

If your concern is gun damage, no worries. Just bank account damage!

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
I reload JHP all the time to standard pressures and use them regularly at the range for target practice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I carry the rem umc jhp in the hundred round boxes, cheap enough to shoot, good enough to carry

Pretty boxes, plastic tip, and the claims of ammo manufacturers doesn't really make the ammo any better, just more costly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts