Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to shoot my PT945 and my wife's PT945 for the first time. No, I didn't shoot at my wife, she's too good a cook. Anyway, I noticed my trigger finger kept getting pinched between the trigger and pistol frame. I've never noticed this on any handgun before especially a 1911 where there is no gap between the trigger and frame. I only shot 2 mags each, maybe it will get better as I break them in.

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Can you post of photo of what you are speaking of?

I love to shoot my Pt945, they are nice pistols all the way around. The amazing thing is how light they weigh for the size gun and being all metal. I have two of the 945, but have not fired the Bling Version of stainless and gold trim and pearl grips....too much of a looker to dirty up.....Yet.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post of photo of what you are speaking of?

I love to shoot my Pt945, they are nice pistols all the way around. The amazing thing is how light they weigh for the size gun and being all metal. I have two of the 945, but have not fired the Bling Version of stainless and gold trim and pearl grips....too much of a looker to dirty up.....Yet.
DSC02462.JPG It's a long pull in DA. All I'm saying is my trigger finger was stinging after firing this weapon. The typical 1911 doesn't have the gap between the trigger and frame. Similar smaller caliber weapons never do this. Don't get me wrong, not gonna wimp out here. As soon as I bust a few more rounds thru it. I'll be carrying it.

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
OK, I got what you are saying.
The trigger on a 1911 pistol is a totally different design. The 1911 trigger pulls back into the frame, where on the PT-945 is much more the design of a revolver or standard trigger of a semi automatic. And being a metal frame and metal trigger the pinch feedback will be more pronounced than that of a poly pistol or the solid mount of a 1911 trigger.
I think you will find it is more of a how you grasp/hold the weapon the will make the finger placement on the trigger change. You may want to try laying your index finger on the lower frame just under the slide, as though you are pointing at the target with it. Then use your middle finger on the trigger. Some pistols this will feel pretty strange, other pistols it will feel almost more natural.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I tried out a PT945 yesterday at a LGS and I tried the action and the trigger pull was almost to heavy for me, now when I tried the PT845 the trigger pull was much smoother and lighter. Is this a 945 trait?, or is it just relative to the one I tried? it was NIB and still was caked with grease so I dunno if it was that or not.. But I really like the heaviness of the frame and that shine of the all stainless gun, and I like black better usually.. I want one but I dunno if I would fire it as much if that trigger was so heavy and hard to pull. Also is $485 a good price on a NIB 945? or is that high?

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Okay, time to see if i can give some quick help on the 945.

1. The 945 lower is actually the same as a PT-92, nothing close to the 1911 aside from the beaver tail. Although they have similar lines, the 945 is wider yet lighter than your average GI 1911.

2. The DA trigger pull is a bit heavy at first, but once you get a few hundred rounds through it, the pull gets much more crisp. Definitely give the whole gun a deep cleaning because the area around the trigger is the hardest to clear debris and grease from.

3. If your finger is being pinched under the trigger, one of two things are probably happening. Your finger is either too low while pulling, or you're bracing early for the break. I would recommend getting some snap caps and dry firing it about 100-200 times to help get you used to pulling the trigger without going ouch. It will also help to break in the trigger pull and make the DA much more enjoyable.

4. $485 is pretty reasonable for a NIB one considering most used ones go between $400-$450. Saw a used pimped out one in super shiny stainless with rosewood grips for $445 about a week ago. Got mine for $400 last year, but if i was to buy one now, most NIB are pretty much $485-$500+. Unless you go to Gander Mountain and buy a blued one for $699, just be sure to coat your rear end in RemOil before you walk in.

5. The front sight tends to be somewhat high also, so when you aim with the 3-dots, DO NOT LEVEL THE FRONT POST AGAINST THE REARS! I guarantee you'll be shooting low because of this, i experienced it myself. Cover up your target with the front sight and you'll be pretty much right on target shot after shot.

6. Avoid ProMag magazines, just stick with Taurus mags if you need an extra or two. Alot of times you can find one collecting dust in an LGS or big box hunting store for $20-$25, which will save you alot of aggravation in the long run.

Hopefully you'll get some enjoyment out of it soon, i've loved every bit of my 1300 rounds through it. I can't really give much help on holsters for the railed models, i carry mine in one of 3 options depending on my attire. Don Hume makes a good leather IWB, Fobus paddle holster for a Ruger 97 (RU-97) works well with the included velcro pads put inside, and i have a Bianchi minimalist leather belt loop size 13/15 that is kind of my generic holster. I can carry my 945, RIA 1911, or my P64 comfortably in it, but the P64 has to be in Condition 0 (cocked & unlocked) for me to put the retention strap on.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Thank you sir, i really appreciate hearing that from another 900 series owner. I can't help but lend support to those new to the gun.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When you fire do you pin the trigger or just let it go, most of the Polymer pistols use a similar trigger design. I think you will get used to it in time.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
It certainly is a fine looking pistol!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I finally got the 945 away from my s-i-l. Like new, in box with book and one mag.
Gorgeous. Shoots very nicely. Thankfully, I can rack it and pull the trigger fairly easily.
As soon as the range dries up....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, time to see if i can give some quick help on the 945.

1. The 945 lower is actually the same as a PT-92, nothing close to the 1911 aside from the beaver tail. Although they have similar lines, the 945 is wider yet lighter than your average GI 1911.

2. The DA trigger pull is a bit heavy at first, but once you get a few hundred rounds through it, the pull gets much more crisp. Definitely give the whole gun a deep cleaning because the area around the trigger is the hardest to clear debris and grease from.

3. If your finger is being pinched under the trigger, one of two things are probably happening. Your finger is either too low while pulling, or you're bracing early for the break. I would recommend getting some snap caps and dry firing it about 100-200 times to help get you used to pulling the trigger without going ouch. It will also help to break in the trigger pull and make the DA much more enjoyable.

4. $485 is pretty reasonable for a NIB one considering most used ones go between $400-$450. Saw a used pimped out one in super shiny stainless with rosewood grips for $445 about a week ago. Got mine for $400 last year, but if i was to buy one now, most NIB are pretty much $485-$500+. Unless you go to Gander Mountain and buy a blued one for $699, just be sure to coat your rear end in RemOil before you walk in.

5. The front sight tends to be somewhat high also, so when you aim with the 3-dots, DO NOT LEVEL THE FRONT POST AGAINST THE REARS! I guarantee you'll be shooting low because of this, i experienced it myself. Cover up your target with the front sight and you'll be pretty much right on target shot after shot.

6. Avoid ProMag magazines, just stick with Taurus mags if you need an extra or two. Alot of times you can find one collecting dust in an LGS or big box hunting store for $20-$25, which will save you alot of aggravation in the long run.

Hopefully you'll get some enjoyment out of it soon, i've loved every bit of my 1300 rounds through it. I can't really give much help on holsters for the railed models, i carry mine in one of 3 options depending on my attire. Don Hume makes a good leather IWB, Fobus paddle holster for a Ruger 97 (RU-97) works well with the included velcro pads put inside, and i have a Bianchi minimalist leather belt loop size 13/15 that is kind of my generic holster. I can carry my 945, RIA 1911, or my P64 comfortably in it, but the P64 has to be in Condition 0 (cocked & unlocked) for me to put the retention strap on.
You Sir, were spot on. Initially I was shooting in my backyard and I was nervous. My neighbors have all populated their property with horses and I was afraid of pissing somebody off. Anyway, I got to head over to my buddy's house where he has a very nice set-up. Full of anything you want to shoot besides glass. What a difference. Shot 150 rounds but did have 2 FTE's. Time to clean and Rem-oil again.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I had a very similar issue with my 24/7G2C-45. Due to the curve of the trigger, the hard initial pull, and my finger placement, I was really not liking things for a while there. I either pinched at the top, or rubbed at the bottom. I'm sure the 945 trigger will break in easier, but it took about 500 rounds and snap cap time to get the callous on both sides of my finger.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Glad to hear things are working better for you, you've got one heck of a gun there. Mine is a joy to shoot and you'll definitely have a blast every trip to shoot it. I just ran another 100 rounds through mine, and it ate all the Federal and Remington i fed it that day.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
snip
Also is $485 a good price on a NIB 945? or is that high?
A local retail is consigning one that looks unfired (I confirmed that it is used, but barely) for $475. My gut is that this is about $35 over market price for that gun. $485 for a new one seems pretty fair. I paid $465 for my PT917c NIB.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Yeah, that does sound around $35-$45 over average used retail for it. For $445 i saw a super shiny stainless model, and for $425 i saw a blued model with a rail. Had someone bought the RIA i picked up, i would have been on my way to get the stainless one in the morning. Last NIB one i saw was $519, but even that seemed a tad high IMO. But the net prices for them seem to hover in the $500 range.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had the hardest time acquiring the stainless 945. Nobody had them in stock. So I placed an order on Buds,Impact and Brazil the Gun Source. Long story shortened, after 6 weeks I ended up with 3 of them. Buds was around $535, Gun Source $500 and Impact $435.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
They are starting to get scarce. It's like the word is out and the few remaining are getting stashed away. A true hidden jewel in the Taurus lineup IMO.

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
They are starting to get scarce. It's like the word is out and the few remaining are getting stashed away. A true hidden jewel in the Taurus lineup IMO.
But, well worth the hunt to pick one up and add to any gun owners inventory!!!!
Then I feel the same way about the PT-917, PT-940, PT-911 and for an excellent feel and design in a .380 the P58.
These are the last of the affordable all metal alloy guns that remain in the market place for the time being....as even their prices are going up as supply goes down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts