Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife usually shoots her SR-22, but it's with Ruger right now. She was shooting my PT809, and she shot really well at the beginning of our session (30 or so rounds, all in the black of a B-16 target at 20-30 feet. After that, she was shooting very low 6 o'clock position, 5-6 rings.

I tried to get her to rest/relax for a while, to focus on the front sight, to make sure she was keeping her wrist firm, but to no avail.

Any ideas on why this is happening? Is this a fatigue/concentration problem, or is she flinching? How can I get her to improve?

·
Registered
515 Posts
She may have been fatigued, & started to anticipate the recoil by pushing forward & down as the trigger broke, resulting in a low hit.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Probably fatigue but also more likely recoil anticipation. Quite possibly a mixture of the 2.

·
Registered
518 Posts
She may have been fatigued, & started to anticipate the recoil by pushing forward & down as the trigger broke, resulting in a low hit.
Agree with Kevinch. If she was jerking the trigger, low & left. Super anticipation, she raises the barrel and squeezes the trigger, hits high. Really sounds like she is prepping for the recoil instead of being surprised by it.

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
....improper sight alignment, fatigue, consistently jerking the trigger all cause one to shoot low.;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about me. I tire soon and the results show it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Do you think she should rest more, or is there a way to work through the fatigue? Dryfire with snapcaps at home?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Use the dime trick, really works.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
If it's muscle fatigue you can try exercise to build strength and endurance. If it is noise fatigue you can double up on the ear protection (plugs and muffs).
If it just a flinch/ recoil anticipation, the dime trick and dry fire practice with the 809 for improved trigger control and then more time under the 9MM to get accustomed to the bigger boom compared to the SR22.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try that, thanks. So more time on the PT809, less time on the SR22? I feel that the SR22 encourages bad habits in myself & my wife by being so forgiving.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured it out! I got her to dry fire, and I found out that she pushes down (why?!) when firing. I'll keep an eye on that from now on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts